Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

+1

Velocity Visions Ceramic Coating on New 2018 RXTX

Anyone do the Velocity Visions ceramic coating from the PWC Store on their new 2018 RXTX 300 ? Want to do it but wasnt sure about how the prep and such will react to the new CM Tech. Do not need it cracking.

Velocity Visions Powersports Ceramic Coating Kit

This Powersports kit comes complete with everything you need to apply a protective ceramic coating to your personal watercraft, bike, or ATV. Each...
    VV-V3-PSKIT $79.99

+1
    I use jet seal. I just did a high end awlcraft paintjob on my boat and after 3 months for full paint cure I washed it was warm soapy dawn water, jet sealed the boat, waited 24hrs went over it with 3m hand glaze then used meguires flagship marine wax. It's a mirror that is insanely easy to clean. I also jet seal my granite counter tops and my jeep.

+1
    i have on both RXTX 300 Ice metal and my brothers GTX 300 LTD.
    both had no issues. i applied this in Dec 2017. and the GTX got its coating in first part of Jan. to this day we had no problems.

be sure to apply 2-3 coats though. i would say 3 coats on the top deck. and 2 coats on hull. i will be getting another one to apply a few more coats. as i only did 1 coat. but the water spots wipe off very easy. and with 22 hours on my ski. it still looks show room clean.

all i do after a ride is get it home. let is dry (only sometimes when i have time ill wipe dry at the docks) other wise it sits drying a few days until i get time to clean it. the 2-4 day old water spots wipe off like dust almost when using there quick detailer. after that i go over with there V1 once a month if that. never had to use a hose yet. its just spray the cloth and wipe away! super easy! i love this stuff!

4. +1 by:

You really don't need a ceramic coating with CM-Tec, the acrylic used to protect the finish is thousands upon thousands of times thicker than a nano coat, but I know from many years experience on forums that you can't talk people out of using their favorite products even if their use in some applications is questionable, so I won't try too hard.

Whatever ceramic coating you choose please first carefully check the MSDS to ensure it does not contain any chemicals that may damage the CM-Tec finish. Some contain benzene which is very high on the danger list. Ceramic coatings were definitely not designed for acrylics. I keep telling people that the acrylic finish on CM-Tec skis is equivalent to a thin coat of Plexiglass. Would you use a ceramic coating on a motorcycle or aircraft windshield? If your answer is no then you may wish to reconsider using them on your acrylic coated ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pro10is View Post
    You really don't need a ceramic coating with CM-Tec, the acrylic used to protect the finish is thousands upon thousands of times thicker than a nano coat, but I know from many years experience on forums that you can't talk people out of using their favorite products even if their use in some applications is questionable, so I won't try too hard.

Whatever ceramic coating you choose please first carefully check the MSDS to ensure it does not contain any chemicals that may damage the CM-Tec finish. Some contain benzene which is very high on the danger list. Ceramic coatings were definitely not designed for acrylics. I keep telling people that the acrylic finish on CM-Tec skis is equivalent to a thin coat of Plexiglass. Would you use a ceramic coating on a motorcycle or aircraft windshield? If your answer is no then you may wish to reconsider using them on your acrylic coated ski.
    normally i would agree with you. but here is my experience. water beeds off my ski really well. the water spots that do dry on it wipe off with little to no effort at all. instead of spending a long time hosing my ski then washing it, hosing off. then drying. i just wipe it clean, and it still looks like show room clean. why would you not use ceramic coating? those are the reasons i use it. now if some one argued that it will save there ski from micro cracks in the future? i cant say yes or no. personally had not problems with micro cracks on any of the 2 skis. to say it will be more scratch resistant. i think that would be far fetched as well. but how easy it is to clean after rides. and how water beeds along with the added shine? yes to those!

Is their an official list from BRP of products that can be used?

Quote Originally Posted by WakePirate View Post
    normally i would agree with you. but here is my experience. water beeds off my ski really well. the water spots that do dry on it wipe off with little to no effort at all. instead of spending a long time hosing my ski then washing it, hosing off. then drying. i just wipe it clean, and it still looks like show room clean. why would you not use ceramic coating? those are the reasons i use it. now if some one argued that it will save there ski from micro cracks in the future? i cant say yes or no. personally had not problems with micro cracks on any of the 2 skis. to say it will be more scratch resistant. i think that would be far fetched as well. but how easy it is to clean after rides. and how water beeds along with the added shine? yes to those!
    I get the exact same effect from using Plexus and it's known to be 100% safe for CM-Tec. It's also much easier to apply. It may not last as long, but it's so easy to re-apply it doesn't need to. It literally takes only a few minutes to apply Plexus to the entire ski.

Ceramic nano coatings are fine, I'm not telling anyone not to use them, but they're definitely not formulated for acrylics and some which contain harsh chemicals like benzene can potentially permanently damage CM-Tec beyond repair. Unless someone formulates a known safe ceramic coating for acrylics, you'll need to carefully check the MSDS, or better yet ask the manufacturer, before using any brand on CM-Tec. Better to be safe than sorry.

It's not a good idea for anyone here to recommend products such as ceramic coatings, cleaners, waxes, etc. without being 100% certain they won't harm someone's CM-Tec finish. You may be inadvertently responsible for severely damaging someone's new $17,000 ski. No one wants that.

Everyone owning a CM-Tec finish needs to carefully rethink what they use to clean and protect it. We all have our favorite products from the automotive world, but these products are not formulated for acrylics which need special care. CM-Tec finish is basically Plexiglass. There are only a few products specifically formulated for Plexiglass, most notably Plexus.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobarth22 View Post
    Is their an official list from BRP of products that can be used?
    Their official publication on this, released only a few days ago and now being specially mailed out to all owners, tells you more of what not to use:

BRP HD Cleaner and Degreaser
    Acetone or other Ketones
    Alcohol
    Toluene or other aromatic solvents
    Chlorinated solvents
    Mineral Spirits
    Paint Thinners
    Petroleum based products

This reads nearly word for word of what I've been telling everyone here to avoid all along, but they left out many other damaging chemicals such as benzenes which are found in gasoline, automotive protectants, and cleaning products. For a much more comprehensive list look here. I would also add to carefully avoid any product containing any of these ingredients which may be hidden to the consumer. There are thousands of products that contain these basic chemicals. How would you know if any of these chemicals was in a typical product you use? You have to carefully check the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS).

BRP's only recommendation on cleaning is:
    "Wash your watercraft with a solution of mild soap or detergent and lukewarm water."

And their only recommendation on polishing is:
    "Protect and maintain its surface gloss by occasionally polishing with a good acrylic-safe cleaner and polish."

That would be Plexus.

You now need to also disregard the 2018 BRP user manual and shop manual as some of the cleaning and protecting products they recommend there contradict their latest publication. It looks like they used some leftover wordage from previous manuals without considering the effect the products would have on their new CM-Tec finish for 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by pro10is View Post
    Their official publication on this, released only a few days ago and now being specially mailed out to all owners, tells you more of what not to use:

BRP HD Cleaner and Degreaser
    Acetone or other Ketones
    Alcohol
    Toluene or other aromatic solvents
    Chlorinated solvents
    Mineral Spirits
    Paint Thinners
    Petroleum based products

This reads nearly word for word of what I've been telling everyone here to avoid all along, but they left out many other damaging chemicals such as benzenes which are found in gasoline, automotive protectants, and cleaning products. For a much more comprehensive list look here. I would also add to carefully avoid any product containing any of these ingredients which may be hidden to the consumer. There are thousands of products that contain these basic chemicals. How would you know if any of these chemicals was in a typical product you use? You have to carefully check the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS).

BRP's only recommendation on cleaning is:
    "Wash your watercraft with a solution of mild soap or detergent and lukewarm water."

And their only recommendation on polishing is:
    "Protect and maintain its surface gloss by occasionally polishing with a good acrylic-safe cleaner and polish."

That would be Plexus.

You now need to also disregard the 2018 BRP user manual and shop manual as some of the cleaning and protecting products they recommend there contradict their latest publication. It looks like they used some leftover wordage from previous manuals without considering the effect the products would have on their new CM-Tec finish for 2018.

That's the letter I just received yesterday. I picked up my rxpx300 in march and its been in the garage under the cover all dusty and dirty. So I want to get it cleaned up and being just top deck of cm-tech and I want the right product. I was going to use opti coat and ceramic coat it but will wait and do more research. I just ordered a can of plexus so will give it a shot and see what more info comes afloat.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobarth22 View Post
    That's the letter I just received yesterday. I picked up my rxpx300 in march and its been in the garage under the cover all dusty and dirty. So I want to get it cleaned up and being just top deck of cm-tech and I want the right product. I was going to use opti coat and ceramic coat it but will wait and do more research. I just ordered a can of plexus so will give it a shot and see what more info comes afloat.
    I've been using Plexus for over a decade. You'll like it so much you'll eventually forget about using anything else. Spray it on, wipe to a deep gloss and you're done. Takes seconds but lasts for weeks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information