Ok guys, what do you think? Drive Shaft splines chewed.

Out riding tonight and all of a sudden a high RPM and not going anywhere. The motor does start right up, but no drive shaft rotation.
    Came home and took the pump out and removed drive shaft. Drive shaft splines are a bit worn on the engine side.
    The splines inside the engine may be chomped too.Its hard to tell.

From what im reading its not easy to get this fixed. The motor has to be town down to get to this correct?
    Looking at the drive shaft, the worn down part.. this will have to be replaced as well?

I have a Vtec tune and this ski has crazy acceleration.. so surprised this hasn't happened sooner.
    I have about 185 hours on my spark.

I will have to get some estimates from local shops.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31676753_10157848518954848_5990530392011046912_o.jpg 
Views:	2051 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	432490   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31513929_10157848508994848_4763208775253360640_o.jpg 
Views:	2298 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	432489  

Pick up a used seadoo coupler off ebay for $20 and have it welded onto the end of the crank and machine it down. A driveshaft repair or precision machine shop should be able to do it. I was looking at one of mine and there might not be enough material in the shaft to press in a splined sleeve. There is always ways to repair something like this but you have to look at cost verses a new crank.

Ok I just looked and they sell a replacement output splined end for the 2016/2017 crankshafts. It might be possible to install it on the older cranks after machining. The new cranks fit the older engines so once purchased you can just replace the spline drive if it ever fails again .

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I've seen a couple of sparks with this problem. The last one that rolled in was under warranty and the dealer took care of it (it was the early spark with the non-removable PTO)

and a big wow on that little bit of news. At least it was corrected later on. Bad materials or lubrication issues at work here.

After a bit more research I find out the splines are indeed pressed on on the early cranks and they can be replaced . The newer cranks have the splines threaded on . There is a company in the UK called jetshed that does replace the pto end . Ill bet you can have crank end threaded and spin on the newer pto or machine the threads out of the newer pto and press them on the older cranks.

+1
    Thatís better news a decently equipped machinist could press off the stripped end and thread the crank given sufficient material and if the length works

Iím sure at some point Iíll get tired of fixing this on sparks. The people are going to be a little annoyed with the ticket cost

I see lots of junked sparks in the next five years just in time for my official semi retirement

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    Thatís better news a decently equipped machinist could press off the stripped end and thread the crank given sufficient material and if the length works

Iím sure at some point Iíll get tired of fixing this on sparks. The people are going to be a little annoyed with the ticket cost

I see lots of junked sparks in the next five years just in time for my official semi retirement
    They donít need a tune to screw up the shaft they happen all alone and oem application .

Quote Originally Posted by Chucke.b View Post
    Out riding tonight and all of a sudden a high RPM and not going anywhere. The motor does start right up, but no drive shaft rotation.
    Came home and took the pump out and removed drive shaft. Drive shaft splines are a bit worn on the engine side.
    The splines inside the engine may be chomped too.Its hard to tell.

From what im reading its not easy to get this fixed. The motor has to be town down to get to this correct?
    Looking at the drive shaft, the worn down part.. this will have to be replaced as well?

I have a Vtec tune and this ski has crazy acceleration.. so surprised this hasn't happened sooner.
    I have about 185 hours on my spark.

I will have to get some estimates from local shops.

This is what I am trying. Put a stainless bolt through the crank and drive shaft. Plus I used 660 lock tight on spines. I tested it in the pain last night all felt well. Going out on the River today. I have a 2015 with 22 hours

+1
    that shaft is toast, and the driveshaft has to be able to jink in the pto or really bad things will happen to the engine

you'll get maybe a couple of hours out of it, then boom.

Thread Information