Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

+1
    Tested CPS at 159 ohms. Trying to test lanyard kill switch and I'm not sure I'm doing it right. I'm not getting 12v at the connector for the LR module from BLK/yellow wire to ground. Should I be testing this differently?

+1
    I get continuity (0 ohms) on the BLK/Yellow kill switch wire to Ground when I remove the lanyard. With the lanyard in, I don't see any voltage on the BLK/Yellow wire when measured to ground

I should also note that the engine cranks with the lanyard in or out, not sure if that's always been the case or not but either way, no spark with lanyard in or out
    Last edited by ICURNVS; 01-12-2020 at 03:16 PM.

+1
    The engine will crank without the lanyard in place on a Virage i. That is normal.

On a Virage i, the only items that are powered from the battery/12 volt section of the stator is the MFD, starter motor, fuel pump, and bilge pump. The EMM control board, ignition, and fuel injectors are powered from the 21/45 vdc supply. This supply is totally independent of the battery and is generated by multiple sections of the stator, rectified and filtered by the EMM power board. When cranking, it generates 21 vdc. As soon as the engine starts, it changes up to 45 vdc.

So the next thing I would check for is voltage on the 21/45vdc supply line. This is the white/red wire that feeds power to each injector and is also looped through the diagnostic software interface plug. Bear in mind, you cannot simply open a connector to measure this as it will change the load and skew the measurement. You must probe from the backside of the connector with something fine/stiff that can be inserted between the wire and the sealing boot. I utilize a dental pick.

+1
    i'll get a measurement from the red/white wire and report back.

It's weird that the fuel pump doesn't prime/start when attempting to start the engine. is this a clue to be looking at something?

+1
    No power to the injectors on the white/red wire connected to injectors while cranking. Tested stator voltage while cranking and got ~7Vac on pins 1,12 and 2,11. got ~5Vac on pins 3,10 and 4,9 and 5,8.

Checked Red/purple wires (pins 1 and 8 )on the 8-pin connector to the emm and both of those pins show 12v battery voltage.

What should i test now?
    Last edited by ICURNVS; 01-12-2020 at 07:48 PM.

+1
    It would be very unusual to see zero volts on the red/white wires while cranking, even with a fault in the EMM. You do need to measure the voltage from there to engine ground, (FYI).

As a quick test, unplug one injector and (carefully) probe from the red/white to engine ground, and report back.

+1
    Progress! But more confusion! i disconnected the red/white and blue injector connector to test voltage, pushed the start button and instantly got spark, fuel pressure, and voltage in injector connector. plugged that wire back in and back to square one. Unplugged the red/white and green injector connector to see if i would start getting spark again and still no spark. something with the red/white and blue wire injector is killing the system, what should i look for?

+1
    Well that's good detective work, it seems one of the injector drivers has failed. Send it back to Lakeside Tech to get it fixed up for you.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread Information