Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FX Cruiser pulling to the right at high speed

Anyone experience their 2017 FX Cruiser SVHO pulling hard to the right at high speeds? Its not the steering adjustment its the ski trying to turn to the right so we have to continually compensate by turning the handle bars to the opposite direction just to go straight which wears your arms out after a full hour of ocean cruising. Ride plate, impeller, sponsons all stock. only mods on this machine was adding a Lucky 13 pump cone.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by AKjetski View Post
    Anyone experience their 2017 FX Cruiser SVHO pulling hard to the right at high speeds?

Its not the steering adjustment its the ski trying to turn to the right so we have to continually compensate by turning the handle bars to the opposite direction just to go straight which wears your arms out after a full hour of ocean cruising.

Ride plate
    , impeller, sponsons all stock.

only mods on this machine was adding a Lucky 13 pump cone.
    Have you checked under the ski for loose bolts, anything out of position?

Also make sure both sponsons are firmly attached to the hull, no loose bolts, and are straight.

Check that everything around both jet pump nozzles (pump nozzle and steering nozzle) is as it should be. That area was taken apart to install the Lucky 13 cone, so there is a chance that something is out of position, bent, perhaps a bolt is missing, not tight, etc.

It seems unusual to ONLY install a Lucky 13 cone on an otherwise stock machine?

Did this machine track straight before the Lucky 13 was installed?

+1
    I seem to remember reading something about removing the syphon tube or it will cause the ski to pull. I hope I'm remembering correctly.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust N' U View Post
    I seem to remember reading something about removing the siphon tube or it will cause the ski to pull. I hope I'm remembering correctly.
    The effect of the bilge siphon tube inside the jet pump nozzles should be minor.

The OP apparently has a significant issue with pulling to one side, and needing to apply pressure to the handlebar to counter the hull bias. That suggests something is not right with the hull and/or attached parts

+1
    I had a lot of play in the steering and trim gimbal. there are 4 bolts holding it together I find when im riding the ski will pull some times but not all the time after a hard turn it will either start or stop. Looking at the gimbal it seemed the side to side play in it could be the culprit. I Pulled the bolts and there are small stainless sleeves inserted. removed them and shaved them slowly, just a touch till the play was removed then clearances the housing on the bottom bolt where it connects (there was a minor bind in the steering turning to the right). Now when you grab the steering nozzle it doesn't shake and it's centered better then it was at least. Ill let you know my results the next time I'm in the water.

6. +1 by:

Update on the 2017 FX Cruiser SVHO pulling hard to the right.
    1) I did a full inspection under the hull/bow for any out of place Bolts etc. The factory grate, ride plate, sponsons all are intact and tight.
    2) Removed the impeller/shaft and associated parts, inspected and reinstalled, all were tight and in place.
    3) Used a cutting tool and shortened the SS siphon tube from the approx 3" to 1".
    4) Removed the extra washers from the "Lucky 13".
    5) Checked the weight balance in the water with me off - trim is good
    6) Checked the steering for play - seems tight and smooth as still only a 2017

Test rode with little to no difference - still pulling.
    I agree on the "seems as a hull" issue. Other than simple wear marks from the trailer bunks the hull bottom seems great.
    At mid range throttle seems mostly un-noticedable but as you increase to 7,000+ rpm and at full throttle in calm water you are fighting to go straight.
    With the extra washers off the Luck 13 I had noticed the rpm's increased back up at top end by about 200rpms more.

Any other suggestions or areas to try?
    Thank you

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by AKjetski View Post
    Update on the 2017 FX Cruiser SVHO pulling hard to the right.
    1) I did a full inspection under the hull/bow for any out of place Bolts etc. The factory grate, ride plate, sponsons all are intact and tight.
    2) Removed the impeller/shaft and associated parts, inspected and reinstalled, all were tight and in place.

Test rode with little to no difference - still pulling.
    I agree on the "seems as a hull" issue. Other than simple wear marks from the trailer bunks the hull bottom seems great.
    At mid range throttle seems mostly un-noticedable but as you increase to 7,000+ rpm and at full throttle in calm water you are fighting to go straight.
    With the extra washers off the Luck 13 I had noticed the rpm's increased back up at top end by about 200rpms more.

Any other suggestions or areas to try?
    Thank you
    Is there symmetry? Sponson on one side is same angle, position, shape as the other side?

Ride plate is even and level with the hull equally on each side?

Intake grate is centered and aligned with the hull axis?

At higher speeds most of the front half of the hull is above the water. The proportion of the hull that is still ‘wet’ shifts rearward as speed increases. This makes me suspect there is something asymmetrical about the rear area of the hull, or the things attached to the hull.

When you had the jet pump removed, did you check that the transom plate was properly centered and aligned with the hull pump inlet tunnel? There are molded tabs in the hull material that the aluminum transom plate is supposed to abut to ensure the plate is aligned with the intake area.

+1
    If you want to slide the hull farther back on the trailer to better access the hull bottom, you can attach trailer to tow vehicle (latched tow ball AND safety chains) to prevent the trailer front from tipping upwards.

The loosen the winch strap strap a few turns, latch the winch, and then slide the hull back. Repeat until the hull is as far back as you dare, or far enough that the ride plate is behind the bunks. Add safety straps from the bow eye down to the trailer frame, to ensure the hull nose cannot swing skyward.

Do not put yourself right under the hull rear when it is extended way out, but working from the sides you should be able to eyeball and measure everything.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The effect of the bilge siphon tube inside the jet pump nozzles should be minor.

The OP apparently has a significant issue with pulling to one side, and needing to apply pressure to the handlebar to counter the hull bias. That suggests something is not right with the hull and/or attached parts
    I'm late, as always but actually I and a few others had the same problem in a few threads, I haven't had a chance to perform the repair of cutting short the siphon 1" +/- and doing a test run. My ski was turning to the right hard at mid speed, took a lot of steering effort on my part to go straight, almost impossible. I checked the aliment of everything, including the steering nozzle, sponsons, etc.

I was told that my Lucky13 cone's pressure increase was causing that tiny siphon to to veer me off course, and after checking everything I'm pretty sure that is the culprit, Since I love my cone I will cut square the siphon tube. Hopefully one day I'll get a chance to verify. Apparently that innocent looking siphon tube can play havoc at higher pressures, as far fetched as it may seem.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by badjoka View Post
    ... My ski was turning to the right hard at mid speed, took a lot of steering effort on my part to go straight, almost impossible. ...

I was told that my Lucky13 cone's pressure increase was causing that tiny siphon to to veer me off course, and after checking everything I'm pretty sure that is the culprit, Since I love my cone I will cut square the siphon tube.

Hopefully one day I'll get a chance to verify. Apparently that innocent looking siphon tube can play havoc at higher pressures, as far fetched as it may seem.
    Why not temporarily reinstall the stock tail cone, then see if the pulling to one side problem goes away or continues?

Not hard to do the change and test, which hopefully would confirm whether the Luck13 cone is aggravating the problem or perhaps is not affecting it at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information