Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

PWC dock/port security - ANYthing New (or, latest and greatest)?

I assume this is the most appropriate forum for this question / topic;

I am looking for the best option(s) for securing my pwc while it is on a HydroHoist pwc port which will be affixed to our floating dock.

This is where the ski will be 24/7 from May until October and the lake we are on DOES have some problems with thieves.

Thanks in advance for any input on great locks/cables, etc!!!

+1
    I have no idea what's new or improved but important topic to discuss. Hopefully someone knowledgeable can post the latest and greatest security/tech gadgets.

+1
    Maybe a cable through the tie down on the front or rear of the ski? Thieves would need to be pretty motivated. I also think a cover is good for prying eyes that want to lift the hatch to look for goodies (although they might steal your cover).

But the best insurance, though, is to buy insurance through one of the majors, like Progressive.

-Greg

+1
    Thanks, Greg; and oh yes Insurance? Check!

As OCD as it may sound / seem the little pos-Joe-Dirt-wannabes were dealing with our (relatively) tiny lake are real Darwin Award candidates so, I swear, for overnight storage, I am going to wind up running THREE (3) cables to permanent fixtures our dock - 1 thru the bow eye and then 1 each from each tow / strap point on either rear corner. Each w their own heavy duty padlock of course.

And absolutely going to be covered. (Actually, I am going to buy a cheap cover to go over top of the factory cover, also!)

Sad Times although, I dont think there is anywhere that skis arent high risk target for thieves :-/

+1
    What about the little tracking chips that you can track via your cell phone ? used car tote-the-note dealerships track all of their cars with a tracker and use a tablet/phone map to go repo when the dead beats don't pay....same for a ski or any other item.......you can even put one in your wife's purse ! LOL

+1
    Hidden kill switch so they can't start it even if they switch the ecu. Also use the biggest lock and chain you can find and I'd also install a GPS tracker.

+1
    How is your winch powered? Can you disable it so it can't be raised/lowered? I like the GPS tracking idea.

+1
    An ever so slightly aggressive pit bull? Just kidding (not really).

How about a motion detector alarm with a loud audible device, some nice LED lighting in the area of the ski and a security cam so you can get a pic of the scum bags in the act?
    No matter what you do, if a thief wants it bad enough, he/she will take it, unless the area attracts attention or slows them down..
    Thieves don't like bright places w/ cameras and noise makers.

Did I mention a pit bull?

+1
    Morning, gents! Sorry bout the lag in replying (was getting my ‘73 Chally outa garage purgatory - Holley 850 rebuilt by a pro and she’s like a completely different (better!) animal!!!

Txgp1300r, dang, that IS an excellent idea and, come to think of it,I have NO CLUE why LoJack or any of the other, similar stolen car-tracking tech companies have not dived into the pwc markets head first (head scratching ...). If I can find something, I will invest in it before I do any mods, etc.

Dockside, you’re spot on — I have GOT to find someone more tech inclined than I am to assist me in installing some form of kill switch (although Yami kinda has that covered with their fob system?)

steve45, UNFORTUNATELY (a big one) is that I have no winch system. That is, the ski will be up on a HYDRO-PORT EXTREME (R) https://www.boatlift.com/pwc-lifts/ attached to our floating dock - AT WATER LEVEL. NOT IDEAL, I know but, our floating dock only has one actual slip and we used that spot for the Hydro-Hoist lift the wife’s SeaRay SPX-190 bow-rider sits on. So, alls I have left are the outside edges of the floating dock ... I’d look into adding a slip but, I doubt Duke (which regulates all docks, etc. on our lake) will allow us to expand the size of already ample floater, any further :-/

pops, you nailed it and I am married to the slightly aggressive pit (her name is Cathy so, I am taking your advice and installing an led spot that will STAY ON (I don’t even want to take any chance with a motion sensor going down or anything). I can switch the flood light from white light to red or green so that a constant white light isn’t “advertising” (“there’s a ski over here!”) and we do have white motion floods around the speedboat but, their location won’t do much good if some m’fer is messing with the ski in the dark ...

Oh yeah, in these parts EVERYONE hunts and thieves not only look for game and other surveillance cameras but are always wearing hoodies pulled over baseball caps OR they’re adept at disabling (or simply stealing) game cameras :-/

unfortunately, I’ve yet to locate any type of audible device that will either reach the WiFi distance from our dock to our house WiFi base station OR can rule out diferentiating between wave action (floating dock) and actual thief activity(ies)

So, with the white light in place - and researching gps trackers next on my “ToDo” list, I was curious if there were any “latest and greatest” bad*ss cables and locks.

i am going to probably invest in the thickest cable rope (coated, of course) I can possible fit through the bow eye and stern tow points and the biggest, bad*ss padlocks I can find to mate with each cable. We’re already big on these and we are relying on these in different places all over the property, now: https://www.masterlock.com/personal-...oduct/M175XDLF

Although, I am anxious to go even “bigger and better” if I can find the right product...

Right now, we mate those above-linked padlocks up with these looped end coated cables to secure the canoes, kayaks and rowboats although, I am already pretty positive I will not be able to fit those loops through the bow eye,melt alone the much smaller stern tow points
    https://www.masterlock.com/personal-use/product/72DPF

And thus my search for combination cable locks continues ...

thanks fir for all the excellent guidance!

+1
    Good grief, where do you live? I am looking to move , but would also like to know where NOT to move to. My buddies Smith and Wesson can only do so much

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information