Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    +1

To roll or not to roll? That is the question!

Hi guys!
    I visited this forum to check out my idea to add rollers on my trailer. I wanted to keep the carpet bunks and add 3 rollers in the center between the bunks to help me unloading my PWC in shallow water. But now I'm confused after reading the different posts. Should I only use silone spray on the carpet bunks or change the carpet bunks for roller bunks or go ahead with my project to add rollers between the carpet bunks. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

+1
    I've heard good things about these plastic strips you can screw to your bunks to assist in loading/unloading. Buddy says it would slide off the trailer if it wasn't attached. Haven't tried them, but it's an option.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Rollers and bunks both have good and bad points. Have had both and I prefer the bunks due to the simplicity and reliability. Add the Teflon slides to the bunks and the boat / ski will slide right off onto the ramp if not secured with the bow strap. Seen it happen.

The rollers help on steep ramps, but usually make the craft sit higher on the trailer. But they do make winching the craft onto the trailer easier than bare bunks. But, with a small/light ski, ease of winching is not a big plus like it is on a heavy boat. If a roller trailer isn't set up right, the rollers can deform the hull at the contact points, where the bunks provide a more even load distribution over a larger contact area.

It's basically all up to personal preference.
    Last edited by pops; 03-28-2018 at 06:38 AM.

Forget those expensive plastic gliders, I have had great experience with an application of silicone spray to the carpet bunk surface. My skis are kept in garage on stand, makes sliding them from stand to trailer or trailer to stand effortless.

6. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by turboman412 View Post
    Forget those expensive plastic gliders, I have had great experience with an application of silicone spray to the carpet bunk surface. My skis are kept in garage on stand, makes sliding them from stand to trailer or trailer to stand effortless.
    Thanks for your reply. Does the silicone wash out after a few unloadings and loadings in the water? What amount do I have to spray on each bunk?

It lasts a few launches, I spray mine every time I load since trailer sits outside with no ski on it. It’s trail and error, spray the amount your comfortable with.

9. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hbernier View Post
    ... idea to add rollers on my trailer. I wanted to keep the carpet bunks and add 3 rollers in the center between the bunks to help me unloading my PWC in shallow water. ...
    What hull is this?

If this is your Polaris SL650, that thick SMC hull is super tough. I would have no worries about hull deformation from the rollers.

11. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    What hull is this?

If this is your Polaris SL650, that thick SMC hull is super tough. I would have no worries about hull deformation from the rollers.
    Yes, it is my old SL650. I think I'll first try the silicone spray on the carpet bunks. What do you think of my idea to add 3 sets of roller along the center of the trailer between the capet bunks? Thanks again.

+1
    Given that the general assumption is that the SL650 has a substantial hull, the following concern might be moot - but I'll mention it anyway as to provoke deeper thought on this idea . . .
    Understanding your goal with the rollers is to reduce some of the ski's weight onto the bunks in order to reduce overall slide-friction - and that would be correct. I would imagine you would align/adjust each roller accordingly to share in a percentage of the ski weight (pick a percentage). My only concern would be in-transit periods - aka on the road towing, bumps dips in the road, bunks typically flex and give a little, and depending on where/what the new rollers are attached too, might periodically hyper-load the rollers to more weight than they are subjected to sitting statically in your driveway. May or may not damage the ski, but could also bend/shift the rollers out of your original load settings.

14. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    Given that the general assumption is that the SL650 has a substantial hull, the following concern might be moot - but I'll mention it anyway as to provoke deeper thought on this idea . . .
    Understanding your goal with the rollers is to reduce some of the ski's weight onto the bunks in order to reduce overall slide-friction - and that would be correct. I would imagine you would align/adjust each roller accordingly to share in a percentage of the ski weight (pick a percentage). My only concern would be in-transit periods - aka on the road towing, bumps dips in the road, bunks typically flex and give a little, and depending on where/what the new rollers are attached too, might periodically hyper-load the rollers to more weight than they are subjected to sitting statically in your driveway. May or may not damage the ski, but could also bend/shift the rollers out of your original load settings.
    Good point! Roller bunks might be therefore a better alternative. Thanks for your toughts on the subject.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information