+1

First time out for the season checks/rituals?

As we quickly approach ski/boat season, thought I would get a list of things we normally do to assure our toys are ready for the season.

Before heading to the lake I like to detail the skis and check over the trailer (incl tire pressure). My trailer is a year old, so the bearings should be fine. I will charge/top off the batteries before heading out and start them on a hose to assure no ramp surprises. Since I usually change oil/filter at the close of the season, I take a quick warm up lap and head back to the ramp/beach to properly re check levels. I then go back out to run the ski hard to see that it is hitting its RPM and speed targets and listen/look for issues. If the ski can hit its performance targets, I will leave the plugs alone. The F-12X likes clean/new plugs yearly, while the Yamaha seems less sensitive. With that, I run the hell out of them until the 50 hour oil change/end of the season.

For my F-12X I usually check to see that the turbo vane is not stuck in place. I'm not sure if the Yamaha will suffer from the same issue?

For the GP, I'll need to check if the oil spray issue had been addressed when serviced off-season. And as things warm up, I'll put the GoPro to work on the water intrusion issue.

Let's see what I missed...

Chris
    Last edited by TwoBurgers; 03-26-2018 at 08:42 AM.

+1
    Insert the drain plugs?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBurgers View Post
    For my F-12X I usually check to see that the turbo vane is not stuck in place. I'm not sure if the Yamaha will suffer from the same issue?

The Yamaha SVHO engine does not have a wastegate. Only moving part on the outside of the engine is the electronic throttle valve.

And the driveline.

Note: There is a lubrication zerk fitting hidden down low, under the electrical enclosure. You can sorta see it by looking in through an access hole in the mid-wall. Use a flashlight and inspection mirror.

That grease zerk lubricates the mid-shaft seal, not the bearing inside the mid-shaft housing. Do NOT over pressurize with grease to avoid blowing the shaft seal out.

On my own GP1800 I rerouted the grease fitting up higher, made it into a remote grease fitting.

4. +1 by:

+1
    I lubed this mid last season about 20 hours ago, should this be done every season or every 50-100 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The Yamaha SVHO engine does not have a wastegate. Only moving part on the outside of the engine is the electronic throttle valve.

And the driveline.

Note: There is a lubrication zerk fitting hidden down low, under the electrical enclosure. You can sorta see it by looking in through an access hole in the mid-wall. Use a flashlight and inspection mirror.

That grease zerk lubricates the mid-shaft seal, not the bearing inside the mid-shaft housing. Do NOT over pressurize with grease to avoid blowing the shaft seal out.

On my own GP1800 I rerouted the grease fitting up higher, made it into a remote grease fitting.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YYZ View Post
    I lubed this mid last season about 20 hours ago, should this be done every season or every 50-100 hours?
    Should be listed in the Ownerís Manual scheduled maintenance chart for your model.

+1
    My battery has been on the bench all winter on the battery tender. While it’s on the bench this is a great time to top up each cell with distilled water. It would be very difficult to do this while the battery is back in the hull. I hate to admit but my levels were almost below the plates and a top up of all cells probably took 400ml+ of distilled water.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YYZ View Post
    My battery has been on the bench all winter on the battery tender.

While itís on the bench this is a great time to top up each cell with distilled water. It would be very difficult to do this while the battery is back in the hull.

I hate to admit but my levels were almost below the plates and a top up of all cells probably took 400ml+ of distilled water.
    Are you using an actual Battery Tender brand charger?

Fluid level maintenance is one of the reasons I use and recommend factory sealed AGM batteries. No liquid to lose, check or top up. Deka manufactured ETX powersports battery is my recommendation.

+1
    Yes, I use the actual Battery Tender brand for winter maintence. Once the OEM battery is finished likely after this season, I’ll take your advice and switch to the AGM. Last season the battery stayed in the hull on the tender which is probably why I neglected the water level.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Are you using an actual Battery Tender brand charger?

Fluid level maintenance is one of the reasons I use and recommend factory sealed AGM batteries. No liquid to lose, check or top up. Deka manufactured ETX powersports battery is my recommendation.
    Last edited by YYZ; 03-31-2018 at 09:55 PM.

+1
    Following warranty service a few months ago, I decided to change the oil/filter last week for a check out ride Saturday. The one year old AGM battery was surprisingly weak (required a jump). Anyway, with the battery charged, I took the ski out Saturday and all went well. I did have oil/water mix in the hull after riding, but I am not certain it was residual from last year's issues. I cleaned the hull out well today and will be checking for ongoing leaks.
    Chris

Thread Information