Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Corbetta611 View Post
    Here is some pics of the cracking.
    The reinforcement threads were about strengthening the hull in that area before stress cracking occurred.

Now that you hull has actually cracked this is a repair, not just a reinforcement.

The original hull material is now weakened To be successful the repair must make the area stronger than factory.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The reinforcement threads were about strengthening the hull in that area before stress cracking occurred.

Now that you hull has actually cracked this is a repair, not just a reinforcement.

The original hull material is now weakened To be successful the repair must make the area stronger than factory.
    Isn't that what Filling in the voids with Fiber and Resin then installing the longer brackets would do?

Filling in that entire void making it a thicker layer and sealing off any of the cracking that has occurred from the bottom, Then putting in the longer brackets that secure to the double layer of the hull pulling the Intake grate into the plate which is now putting the stress on the dual layer thickness of the hull that the bracket is pulling into?

+1
    Filling in that entire void making it a thicker layer and sealing off any of the cracking that has occurred from the bottom, Then putting in the longer brackets that secure to the double layer of the hull pulling the Intake grate into the plate which is now putting the stress on the dual layer thickness of the hull that the bracket is pulling into?
    Correct

Just pointing out that the repair must be really well done to compensate for the weakened hull layers.

Correct

Just pointing out that the repair must be really well done to compensate for the weakened hull layers.

Thank you very much for pointing this out. I would have just tried to rush it along. Now I will clean up the area well, Put fillers in it and try to do a solid job at it. Any recommendations on a strong cloth to use for this application? Kevlar or Woven Fiberglass?

+1
    ... I will clean up the area well, Put fillers in it and try to do a solid job at it.

Any recommendations on a strong cloth to use for this application? Kevlar or Woven Fiberglass?
    Previously posted on here is info from Yamaha on how to properly repair NanoXcel (and NanoXcel 2) hull material.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2980960

There are specific requirements for the fiberglass cloth material and for the epoxy resin needed for NanoXcel repair.

Note the use of acetone to dissolve and lift the wax compound from within the NanoXcel material prior to using any resin.

Standard fiberglass repair materials and methods are not suitable.

Since your hull material is now cracked and deformed downwards, you will need to ensure the final lower surface repair levels are back to factory, flat and straight. The repaired bottom hull surface determines the mounted angle(s) of the intake grate, which affects the ride and handling of the entire watercraft.

And you want the repair result to be waterproof. Not just for water leaking into the hull interior but also to prevent water from seeping into the hull material layers.

Previously posted on here is info from Yamaha on how to properly repair NanoXcel (and NanoXcel 2) hull material.http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2980960There are specific requirements for the fiberglass cloth material and for the epoxy resin needed for NanoXcel repair. Note the use of acetone to dissolve and lift the wax compound from within the NanoXcel material prior to using any resin.Standard fiberglass repair materials and methods are not suitable.Since your hull material is now cracked and deformed downwards, you will need to ensure the final lower surface repair levels are back to factory, flat and straight. The repaired bottom hull surface determines the mounted angle(s) of the intake grate, which affects the ride and handling of the entire watercraft.And you want the repair result to be waterproof. Not just for water leaking into the hull interior but also to prevent water from seeping into the hull material layers.
    You are absolutely amazing, I made a trip to West Marine today and got everything needed to complete this. It wasn't a cheap trip but it shouldn't have been. I am going to take my time doing this and hope for the best. My thing is going to be covering the stress cracks that fold over the flat surface. I'm thinking chopped strand and a lot of time and effort.

Can anyone confirm these will work on a 2000 XL1200 LTD? Iím in the process of removing the inserts for the intake grate plate bolts. This bracket appears to be a good fix. My WR is in another location at the moment so I canít get a bolt distance measurement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68057FB5-FD2D-4F56-82FB-DDCFB45FC1D4.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	455763  

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread Information