Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2001 stx di

+1

2001 stx di

Hi, just bought 2001 1100 stx di with 90 original hours from the original owner that had it in fresh water. Was wondering what has been the biggest problem with these machines. The first thing i did was send out the computer to EMM repair the guy was great for $ 450 updated the main board and all the crutial solder joints. and rerouted the emm cooling line out the side of hull to monitor flow. Are there any other precautions i should think about doing.

+1
    Yes, by all means, make sure that it's getting proper cooling water to the EMM. I run Groco strainers on all my 'Skis. Another weakness on that engine is the bearings on the oil pump drive coupling. I've got a write-up on it here somewhere. Also, make sure to inspect, secure, or update the oil lines as needed. They get brittle and split when they get old. They can also fall off.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks do you have a 1100 stx.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougs 1100 View Post
    Thanks do you have a 1100 stx.
    I'm blessed with two of them--but they're for sale! I don't have the DI version.

Here's a link to the oil pump bearing: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=258295

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I'm blessed with two of them--but they're for sale! I don't have the DI version.

Here's a link to the oil pump bearing: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=258295
    Awesome info thanks lastly where can I find info to change my prop I bought a solas could I do it or do I need dealer to do it and charge me crazy $$$

+1
    A service manual is a wonderful tool to have! You'll also need a spline tool, available from numerous places on the internet (SBT, etc.)

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    be advised to read up on pump issues with these models.

specifically getting the tail cone off to get a wrench on the backside of the impeller shaft to get the prop off. Tricky at best. Flamethrower at worst.

You must have a quality vise which is solidly mounted. Sometimes you need a scary big pipe to help get it done.

That's one of the reasons it can be crazy expensive at a dealer.

and at 90 hours..I'd be having a couple of beers between the time I have the pump housing free and the time I check the condition of the pump bearings. Just in case.

If all goes smoothly you shouldn't have too much trouble if you have some skills. Now as far as getting the pump off....about an 8 out of ten on the pain scale. Have some eye protection and some prying implements you trust. There are a couple of hex screws in the rideplate that hold the pump. make sure to get them. There's some info on our range of home brew pump pullers somewhere in the kaw 150 section of the forum. Same concept.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    be advised to read up on pump issues with these models.

specifically getting the tail cone off to get a wrench on the backside of the impeller shaft to get the prop off. Tricky at best. Flamethrower at worst.

You must have a quality vise which is solidly mounted. Sometimes you need a scary big pipe to help get it done.

That's one of the reasons it can be crazy expensive at a dealer.

and at 90 hours..I'd be having a couple of beers between the time I have the pump housing free and the time I check the condition of the pump bearings. Just in case.

If all goes smoothly you shouldn't have too much trouble if you have some skills. Now as far as getting the pump off....about an 8 out of ten on the pain scale. Have some eye protection and some prying implements you trust. There are a couple of hex screws in the rideplate that hold the pump. make sure to get them. There's some info on our range of home brew pump pullers somewhere in the kaw 150 section of the forum. Same concept.
    Well the pump is out it took about an hour now I have new solas prop any reputable pump builders that I should send it to so it can be checked out before changing the prop and reinstalling

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    How does the prop turn

Smooth

Couple of marbles

%%^^%#*^#*^%#^*%*%%!!!!!!!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    How does the prop turn

Smooth

Couple of marbles

%%^^%#*^#*^%#^*%*%%!!!!!!!!!
    Does appear to be smooth but there is a very small amount of scoring on the wall inside the pump where the prop spins don't know what is considered normal.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information