Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jet ski towing question help please

I need to know which line to stop the water coming in when towing or any advice how to install a ball valve
    Thank you for all your help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cooling system diagram(lost).jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	429282  

+1

Jet ski towing question help please

Quote Originally Posted by danny73168 View Post
    I need to know which line to stop the water coming in when towing or any advice how to install a ball valve
    Thank you for all your help

On the diagram B1 on top of the strainer the water line that goes to the engine and the other water line that goes to the oil cooler...

Guys carry heavy duty adjustable clamps on board you clamp down real good , thatís what I carry but never had to use they wonít take up too much space in the storage bin or you can go with the shut off ball valve lots info on YT..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	265EF9E6-C85A-46F8-AECC-38D56EEB2270.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	429283  

3. +1 by:

Thank you for the quick response Dave
    So the only hose i need to stop water from coming in is B1 , so the other hose does not need to be stopped

+1
    What type of ski u have ,your pic shows an Intercooler but your profile says LX ,was checking as you didn’t mention it...

Intercooler line does not have to be closed off as it’s an open loop system it’s water line from the pump exits the rear grey flush fitting on SC 300/310..

is 2017 Ultra lx

Can someone please explain further the topic in this post? If I am being towed do I need to close off any hoses?

And what would happen if such hoses are not clamped?

If the Ski being towed is 10 knots or under, you don't need to clamp anything off. If the water is rough and there's alot of water coming over the bow, then I would open up one of the drain plugs as some water will fill and accumulate in the hull. Obviously, when the towing is over, get that drain plug back in ASAP! JB

9. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KU310R View Post
    Can someone please explain further the topic in this post? If I am being towed do I need to close off any hoses?

And what would happen if such hoses are not clamped?
    The cooling system gets water from, and is pressurized by the jet pump. Anything over 10 mph, and you take the chance of water being pushed through the cooling system without the engine running. At some point it can fill the exhaust system, and force water back into the engine. On a 2 stroke this will fill the crankcase with water quickly because of the transfer ports, and cause hydro lock, rusting on the rod and case bearings (causing detrimental failure). 4 stokes are more forgiving because of the bottom end being bathed in oil, different style bearings (more of a tri metal, two piece bearing), and lack of transfer ports, but can rust the rings, cyl walls, valves (if they're not stainless), and crank journals (if a substantial amount makes it into the bottom end), and then there's the super charger or turbo charger issues if you have one. I'm sure there's a few things I missed, but gives you an idea.
    If you think you were towed over 10, or have any reservations after being towed, treat it like a submersion, and get it fired up and taken on a 10 min ride asap to dry and oil things up.

11. +1 by:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    http://www.cpjetski.com/towing.htm

Couple of towing tips here.

BTW, Seadoo manual indicates 15mph max tow speed.

I would suggest never opening a drain plug regardless of how rough the water is.

I keep a spare bilge pump with a 30 foot power extension to deal with the various tows that happen around here.

One of my customers had the front eye ripped out of his ski by an idiot good Samaritan

Towing and tow lines are dangerous. Keep your ski in good repair, always do a pre-ride check and pull your seat off when fueling.

this years horror stories will begin soon.

13. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post

I keep a spare bilge pump with a 30 foot power extension to deal with the various tows that happen around here.

Details on that remote bilge pump kit might be interesting.

I want to rig up something to carry myself. Not so much for pumping my own watercraft, each of which has a proper bilge pump installed. More to help others, PWC or boaters.

I have not yet worked out how to keep a 'loose' bilge pump in place inside someone else's hull. Nor how to keep the exit hose in place while the pump is pumping overboard.

Long electrical cable I can imagine how to rig up. Variations always possible, but that part seems straightforward enough.

I may include a 12 volt lithium battery pack (engine booster pack) with my bilge pump kit as an alternative to running a long cord between vessels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information