Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Kawasaki Ultra 310R ECU Replacement Issues

So I ordered an OEM ECU off ebay to replace my faulty 2014 Stock ECU. Came in a Kawasaki box with brand new keys to go with it. I do the swap which literally took 3 minutes to do. Accidentally used the old key that's linked to the old ECU, obviously didn't work, ski turned over but wouldn't crank up. Put in the new key that came with the new ECU and it does not work either. Does a single long beep and the warning light flashes and ski will turn over but not crank... Reinstalled old ECU and used original key and ski cranks right up... Did I screw up something by inserting the old key with the new ECU initially???

Original ECU is the one with blue writing on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180216_123944.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	427912  

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    A never used ECU is in programming mode and _should_ work to accept new keys using the factory method.

Things often change and for all I know the newest k's could require the key dongle programming attachment

Since you bought this ECU on ebay, I suspect it was bricked and somebody figured on making a good buck on it by just selling it with new keys in the box their replacement came in.

Once an ECU has been activated, if you don't have the activated key you can never get it into programming mode again

you'll find some youtubes that show the somewhat tricky timing that has to be used when programming a k ecu with keys.

good luck

The seller on ebay is telling me that I have to take the new ECU and ski to the dealer to get it programmed to my ski

Do I need the key registration tool to mate the new keys with the new ECU??? Maybe they just don't come mated with the ECU? The seller has 100% good feedback and sells lots of Kawi parts. I donno...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-57...5Z5NY~&vxp=mtr

+1
    Things often change and for all I know the newest k's could require the key dongle programming attachment

Since it's raining today and I'm in the mood to warm up for a while I'll look into this for you.

In all respect, the seller may not have been aware of what was really in that ecu box.

I mentioned it's tricky didn't I?

Sorry I overlooked that statement. Debating if I should buy the key programming tool or just say screw it and bring to dealer in case something else needs to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post

Since it's raining today and I'm in the mood to warm up for a while I'll look into this for you.

In all respect, the seller may not have been aware of what was really in that ecu box.

I mentioned it's tricky didn't I?

+1

kawasaki key registration with new ecu

you don't need the key reg unit it appears. follow this procedure. it makes a difference which key you use first it's tricky like I said but you may not have to go to the dealer. this diagram will instruct. timing is everything!

good luck

there are a couple of professional dealer techs that frequent the forums, one of them should be able to tell you if using the wrong key on a new ecu is a game changer or simply a dealy.

I made darn sure to follow directions and it took a while before I could just ADD a key to a running ski. timing is everything.

the other thumbnail is for previous years. go with the pic above
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	key.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	427916   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	key2.jpg 
Views:	629 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	427917  
    Last edited by nmpeter; 02-16-2018 at 03:01 PM. Reason: wrong model

Well I think I screwed up when I tried to start the ski initially without programming the keys, must of taken the ECU out of programming mode. I watched the video on programming and duplicated it, didn't work... oh well off to the dealer.

+1
    The programmer is only about $50. I'd get one rather than take my 'Ski in and leave it/pay them to do it, etc.

Uhhh that one I found earlier is actually for the old KDS1/2 Ultra 250's, 2010 and up Ultra 300/310's use the KDS3 which the programmer for those costs $750... off to the dealer...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information