Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Break in 2018 GTR 230. ONLY For GTR230 and GTR-X 230 ECM limits max engine speed. So?

The operators manual states, on page 79, that;

BREAK-IN PERIODOperation During Break-InPeriodA break-in period of 10 operating hoursis required before running the watercraftat sustained full throttle.During this period, maximum throttleshould not exceed 1/2 to 3/4 opening.However, brief full acceleration andspeed variations contribute to a goodbreak-in.

NOTICE Continued wide openthrottle accelerations or operation,prolonged cruising speeds are detrimentalduring the break-in period.

NOTE: GTR 230 and GTR-X 230: Duringthe first 5 hours of operation, theengine management limits the enginemaximum speed for engine protection.The engine performance will progressivelyincrease during this period.

Questions;
    In the first paragraph above, it says 'Brief' full acceleration..... contribute to a good break in. So, what is brief? 2 seconds? 10 seconds? 2 minutes? 10 minutes? -- My guess is 2-8 seconds.

More curious about;
    I wonder why the engine management limits the engine maxium speed during the first 5 hours for the GTR 230 and GTR-X 230, but no other skis? Not the Wake 230?

Does this mean it is 'impossible' to run the ski too hard for the first 5 hours on this ski?

We GTR 230 owners don't have to be as careful?

Does this mean I can 'peg' the throttle, and the ECM will automatically protect me / protect the ski?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9536.jpg 
Views:	1533 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	427600   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9537.jpg 
Views:	1434 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	427601  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphinride View Post

BREAK-IN PERIODOperation During Break-InPeriodA break-in period of 10 operating hoursis required before running the watercraftat sustained full throttle.During this period, maximum throttleshould not exceed 1/2 to 3/4 opening.However, brief full acceleration andspeed variations contribute to a goodbreak-in.

NOTICE Continued wide openthrottle accelerations or operation,prolonged cruising speeds are detrimentalduring the break-in period.

NOTE: GTR 230 and GTR-X 230: Duringthe first 5 hours of operation, theengine management limits the enginemaximum speed for engine protection.The engine performance will progressivelyincrease during this period.

Questions;
    In the first paragraph above, it says 'Brief' full acceleration..... contribute to a good break in. So, what is brief? 2 seconds? 10 seconds? 2 minutes? 10 minutes? -- My guess is 2-8 seconds.

More curious about;
    I wonder why the engine management limits the engine maxium speed during the first 5 hours for the GTR 230 and GTR-X 230, but no other skis? Not the Wake 230?

Does this mean it is 'impossible' to run the ski too hard for the first 5 hours on this ski?

Does this mean I can 'peg' the throttle, and the ECM will automatically protect me / protect the ski?

I will give you credit for actually reading the manual you be surprised how many people donít. 2-5 seconds burst I say is fine since you are looking to bring the engine to itís full operating temp and getting all parts expanded and to get a real good piston ring seal at this early stage . They donít want you to peg it any longer because it could cease if the piston expands to much this is just precautionary measures to prolong the life of the engine, the ecu is only limiting the full rpm range for the X period of HR break in.

+1
    GTX-230, I noticed in the 1st 2 hours of break in my ski topped out at 38 mph then at 50mph. Now at 4 hours I hit 65mph for a short 15 second period a few times.

Full power will be released by the ECU at 10 hours is also my understanding.

+1
    Full power at 5 hours

+1

The more people you ask, the more different opinions you will get.

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinride View Post

Questions;

More curious about;

I broke my 300 limited in this past summer. The manual that comes with the ski's is vague, so I started to ask and read numerous opinions on breaking in a new ski.

After all the reading and talking to techs, here's what I came up with..
    First the manufacture limits the max speed for the first 10 hours to eliminate idiots that want to get on the ski and go full blaze.

What I did was start for the first hour: vary the speed up to a max of 25mph, constantly varying the speed up and down...and once per hour to give a full throttle for 3 to 5 Seconds..

After the first hour, I turned off the ski, and let it cool down for several hours.

Each additional hour: Add 5 mph max.. still vary the speed and full throttle pull. Allowed it to cool again after each hour.. After 5 hours, no more cool down, but kept going up 5mph max per hour..

It seems tetious, but from all that I read, this was the best combination of all the suggestions..
    My 300 limited is stock besides the scom, and is amazingly fast..

Hope this helps... GL.

+1
    Ok, I am confused as to when the ECU will release full power. Is it 5 hours or is it 10 hours. The reason I ask is that I now have 7 hours on my GTX 230.

I see the owners manual says 5 hours. But I was told when I bought my ski it was 10 hours. Some of us believe 5 hours per the manual. Others believe 10 hours.

Does anyone know for sure...or I guess I can put 3 more hours on my ski and know for sure.

+1
    Not sure why everyone says 5 but break in is 10hrs. The ski will feel like it has full power but the ecu fully unlocks at 10.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
    Not sure why everyone says 5 but break in is 10hrs. The ski will feel like it has full power but the ecu fully unlocks at 10.
    5hr no more 10

+1
    I don't understand why people can't comprehend. The ecu fully unlocks at 5 hours but the physical break in period is 10 hours.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan_Joe View Post
    I don't understand why people can't comprehend. The ecu fully unlocks at 5 hours but the physical break in period is 10 hours.
    My scom wouldnt work till 10hrs. Talk to Riva and that what the conclusion was. Started working at 10hrs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information