Vertical steering / handlebar play on 2018 GTX / GTR / RXP / RXT / Wake Pro 230

Just picked up two 2018 Wake Pro 230s last week. My first Sea-Doos after 25 years on another brand (guess my Waverunner username is coming back to bite me now).

I noticed some vertical play (on just one of them) in the handlebars / steering column. The handlebars pull straight back - perhaps just 1/8 of an inch. It's not a lot but I can already tell it's enough to annoy me, especially since there is no play on the the other one.

(Video below)

A quick call to the dealer service and they said there is a bushing on the column and some have more play than others. That's just not flying with me.

My guess is there is a bolt that needs to be tightened in the column somewhere.

Since the 2018s have the new lift up compartment, I'm having a hard time getting a straight answer (my sense is even the dealer mechanics haven't done any work on these new ones yet).

Any other 2018 owners out there that can go out to their skis and let me know if you have some vertical play in the handlebars?

Any suggestions for a solution? I can't tell much from the steering assembly diagrams where the play may originate: http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/...-assembly.html

Video:

+1
    Just checked my rxtx no vertical play in steering it's tight.

+1
    Looking at the diagram at SeaDoo Parts Nation, it looks like part number 720 (nut) & 20 (wear ring) are the only 2 parts that should effect play in that direction. My guess is the nut needs tightening. If not then maybe part number 20 is missing. Just my guess. RR

+1
    my rxtx does not have this play. and i would get that fixed if i had that problem. that would bug the shit out of me.

Calling and taking it in today. It's way too much play to just be differences in bushing tolerance as the dealer said.

UPDATE: Dealer replaced both upper and lower wear rings with no change. Still has same vertical play. They started a case with BRP. We'll see.

To be continued...

+1
    Yea that’s bs. Personally even under warranty I’m the type id fix it myself. I’ve had mine apart and there isn’t much too it

Here was the problem - a piece was missed during manufacturing. Part # 277001654 to be exact - a steering column spacer.

It's not a large part, but it's not small either. Not sure how it was missed but Sea-Doo suggested it might be and sure enough when the dealer opened up the steering column it was missing.

So, problem solved. No more vertical play in the handlebars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	277001654_351x350.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	428541  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalWaverunner View Post
    Here was the problem - a piece was missed during manufacturing. Part # 277001654 to be exact - a steering column spacer.

It's not a large part, but it's not small either. Not sure how it was missed but Sea-Doo suggested it might be and sure enough when the dealer opened up the steering column it was missing.

So, problem solved. No more vertical play in the handlebars.
    Amazing!

Thread Information