Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    +1

How fast do you/should you tow?

Possibly traveling from MI to FL and back. Towing with a Ford Edge, two seadoo RXTs on an 02 shorelandr steel double, tire size is 5.30x12.

What is a good speed to drive? Trying to figure out how long the trip will take.

Tires will need to be replaced before we go. Can I or should I upgrade from 5.30x12 or is that size good enough?
    Thanks

+1
    Whathe motor does your edge have?

+1
    2.7 ecoboost. 2500 tow rating I believe.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tmarsh View Post
    Possibly traveling from MI to FL and back. Towing with a Ford Edge, two seadoo RXTs on an 2002 shorelandr steel double, tire size is 5.30x12.

What is a good speed to drive? Trying to figure out how long the trip will take.

Tires will need to be replaced before we go. Can I or should I upgrade from 5.30x12 or is that size good enough?
    Thanks
    What condition is the rest of the trailer?

When were the trailer axles and wheel bearings last inspected and regreased?

Hove you towed this trailer fully loaded at highway speeds?
    How well does it handle during sudden lane changes and hard braking?

Things that tend to go wrong, will often go wrong when you are far from home.

Trailer bunk rot. How old are the wood bunks?
    Rusted mounting bolts for the bunks?

Trailer wiring and lights - original or LED upgraded?
    Inspect the wiring for chafing, look for possible corrosion at connectors.

I have towed long distances on trailers with 12” tires. If the tire pressures are maintained at the sidewall maximum, they are just fine.

Note that all ST grade trailer tires are rated for 65mph, with full air pressure and weight load. To run faster than 65mph the actual load on each tire must be well below the tire max rating.

It is also acceptable to increase the COLD air pressure (I forget whether the absolute max was 10PSI increase or 10% more air pressure). This allows faster than 65mph towing, within reason.

Tire age is super important. Do not run trailer tires that are more than 6 years old, regardless of how much tread remains. Trailer tires degrade from age and exposure, not so much from tread wear. An old trailer tire is fragile, and can come apart in seconds at highway speeds, sometimes without warning.

Personally I prefer 13 inch wheels and tires on my trailer. The larger tire size does raise the trailer frame a couple of inches and will require backing farther down the launch ramp.

If the 12 inch tires are new, wheel bearings are serviced, and the rest of the trailer is in good condition, it should be just fine.

Note that that speed limits for towing are often different than without the trailer. Even when a separate trailer speed limit is not posted, check whether the rules specify a slower maximum speed when towing a trailer.

+1
    Im guessing its a sport? If so it doesnt have a tow package which means it has a 2000lb towing capacity, you'll more that likely be over the recommended weight. So if you're going to be towing I'd suggest sticking to the speed limit and keep an eye on your transsmission temps.

+1
    K447, thanks for the info. The rest of the trailer is in decent condition. Feels solid. Has some surface rust/chipping paint around the fender and tail lights but nothing that looks concerning. I picked it up in september, replaced the rotted bunk boards. Bunk mounts are fine. Replaced all the lights with LED and new wiring where necessary, new connector. New tongue jack.
    The tires, Ill probably have to stick with 12" wheels, looking at pictures of it(its in storage) I don't have a lot of room under the fenders for a larger tire. Also, with the Edge I can't back it in much further. Some launches can be a pita to get the skis off as it is with the 12" wheels.
    The bearings, Im going to assume they have never been serviced(Im not sure what that involves), but it has bearing buddies on it which I will pump full before we go. What do you mean by bearing service exactly?
    As for how it tows, it doesn't bounce, doesn't sway, no noise, I did get a chance to stop and feel that the hubs were cool. It actually tows better than my single Karavan. I towed it on a 450 mile round trip to northern michigan at 70-73 and it towed great. Then another ~200 mile trip one way to hibernation.
    While towing, the only concern is the play in the hitch receiver, it pulls in/out and up/down slightly, more so than any other car I've towed with. So on braking and accelerating I feel it move. Any way to tighten that up?

7. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
    Im guessing its a sport? If so it doesnt have a tow package which means it has a 2000lb towing capacity, you'll more that likely be over the recommended weight. So if you're going to be towing I'd suggest sticking to the speed limit and keep an eye on your transsmission temps.
    Yes it is a sport. Hitch receiver says 2500 on the side but I guess what the car says is more important. Will keep an eye on trans temps for sure.

+1
    We towed 1200 miles round trip to Mud Bug with a Subaru Forester , 4 cyl turbo 2.5 litre, at 70 mph, two FZR's, 13 inch rims, aside from the terrible fuel millage it towed fine..........the key is to do your maintenance on the trailer bearings and tires.....I also grease the trailer ball,. I pull my hubs and clean out all the grease then pack the bearings with Amzoil grease. make sure tires are not expired.

+1
    Yes it is a sport. Hitch receiver says 2500 on the side but I guess what the car says is more important.

Will keep an eye on trans temps for sure.
    Look in the car owners manual for tow weight ratings.

Also check what the recommendation is for car tire pressures when carrying maximum load weight in the car. Use those tire pressures as a guide when towing your trailer.

Tongue weight. The guideline is that 1/7th of the total trailer weight should be on the tow ball (aka tongue weight). In practice many of us aim for 10% to 14% trailer weight on the tongue, at the ball.

Tongue weight is increased by moving the winch tomwer forward, which brings the hulls forward. More tongue weight translates into more predictable trailer and tow vehicle handling, especially during extreme emergency lane changes and hard, sudden braking. More tongue weigh also reduces the trailer wagging effect in general.

If the rear of your Edge sags too much with fully loaded trailer plus everything and everyone inside the car, you can add suspension assist air bags. I have used the Airlift 2000 product in the past, worked quite well and the air bag installation was not difficult. Details will depend on your car model.

When fully loaded, car and trailer (ready for the road), the trailer frame should be level. Not tongue low and certainly not tongue high. Change the ball mount if necessary to get the loaded trailer frame to be close to level.

11. +1 by:

+1
    While towing, the only concern is the play in the hitch receiver, it pulls in/out and up/down slightly, more so than any other car I've towed with. So on braking and accelerating I feel it move. Any way to tighten that up?
    This product will take most if not all of the movement out of the ball mount moving in the receiver.

Anti-Rattle Tightening Hitch Pin with Lock

I have the predecessor product and a friend has this version, both work quite well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	49F3BBD4-C11D-4813-BB43-C0C9B44D8A73.jpeg 
Views:	1306 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	426693  
    Last edited by K447; 01-21-2018 at 11:02 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information