Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tmarsh View Post
    The bearings, I’m going to assume they have never been serviced (Im not sure what that involves),

but it has bearing buddies on it which I will pump full before we go. What do you mean by bearing service exactly?
    The primary causes of trailer failure on the road are wheel bearings and trailer tires.

You can read up on how to inspect trailer wheel bearings. First step is to jack up the trailer frame and check each wheel for bearing slop (in and out motion of the wheel rim) and/or grinding noise or roughness when rotating the wheel. Anything other than perfectly smooth and quiet rotation without slop is reason to have the bearings replaced promptly.

The proactive approach is to take the trailer to a shop and simply have them replace the bearings and grease seals with new. This ensures that not only do you know the bearings are good, but also that the axles and suspension were checked (looked at) by a qualified mechanic.

Bearing Buddies do keep the grease under mild pressure and help keep water out from the seals on the back side of the hub. This is a good hint, but does not mean that the bearings are going to last forever.

Put it this way - if a wheel bearing fails at highway speeds half way down the road, what will it cost you to get the problem fixed and get going again? After the bearing fails, the trailer may not be movable without a flat bed tow truck. Fixing a broken trailer at roadside is no fun, I can tell you.

+1
    The tires, I’ll probably have to stick with 12" wheels, looking at pictures of it (its in storage) I don't have a lot of room under the fenders for a larger tire.

Also, with the Edge I can't back it in much further. Some launches can be a pita to get the skis off as it is with the 12" wheels.
    On my own trailers I have added a tongue extension and Fulton tongue hinge. This gives me another 3 feet farther into the water before the tow vehicle touches the water.

You could consider that, but it may make more sense to just buy a nicer/newer trailer (I like the Triton welded aluminum PWC trailers) that has a longer tongue.

+1
    One of my first double trailers had 12" wheels I upgraded to ST145/R12 tires these are a radial trailer tire that have a slightly higher weight rating than the highest rated 5.30 x 12" tire size. If you are going to replace tires might as well get the highest weight rating you can without moving up to a 13" rim.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    One of my first double trailers had 12" wheels I upgraded to ST145/R12 tires these are a radial trailer tire that have a slightly higher weight rating than the highest rated 5.30 x 12" tire size. If you are going to replace tires might as well get the highest weight rating you can without moving up to a 13" rim.
    When changing to ‘better’ trailer tires look not only at the load weight (which is per tire) rating but also check the sidewall maximum tire pressure.

You will be running at that sidewall maximum air pressure, very rarely does a trailer recommend anything other than full sidewall pressure.

Some higher load range tires need 80PSI, others support the rated load weight with 50PSI. Really high pressure trailer tires do work but can create a rather stiff ride.

Also check the width of the new tires. Make sure there is room behind the tire where it gets close to the inner fender, especially when the suspension is at full compression going over a big road bump at speed.

On my Triton Elite double (single axle) I changed to 13 inch wheels and tires. 50PSI instead of 80 in the original 12 inch tires. I discovered that on hard bounces the tread of the 13” tire would contact the underside of the fender. I added a 1/2” spacer between frame and torsion axle, and that was just enough clearance to solve the problem.

+1
    Yes it is a sport. Hitch receiver says 2500 on the side but I guess what the car says is more important. Will keep an eye on trans temps for sure.
    The ford edge has a higher tow rating if equipped with a tow package from the factory, the main and most important difference of better transmission cooling.

+1
    Don't forget to purchase a new spare tire when you replace the two on the axle. If you don't have a spare you should invest in one, IMO. As far as towing speed goes, I find that most law enforcement will give you 10% over the limit, and I always make sure that there are others towing that are going faster than me. Personally I really enjoy listening to audio books when I drive, makes the time go by like nothing else for me, and I find that I'm not in such a hurry.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Outboardjohn View Post
    Don't forget to purchase a new spare tire when you replace the two on the axle.

If you don't have a spare you should invest in one ...
    +1 to both.

The spare tire should never be older than the road tires. Trailer tires age the most when not rolling. The spare actually ages faster than the in-use tires, the spare suffers from exposure and becomes fragile.

Always carry a spare trailer tire of same size and type as the main trailer tires.

Trailer tires can have a rough life. They are quite tough and can take a lot of abuse. That said, a tire can catch a curb lip or pothole edge the wrong way and the tire can suddenly need replacement. Even if the tire is young and fairly fresh.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    x2! I put a set of 12" radials on a double trailer and towed it to the coast and back. 75 MPH all day, put about 600 miles on per day. No problems.

By all means, stop periodically and feel the hubs. They should be warm, but not hot to the touch.

+1
    I run P rated tires, not junky ST tires. I run 185/70R-14 Michelins. They are 24 inch in diameter which is about the same as 13 inch ST tires. The sidewall flex gives a much smoother ride and adds compliance to the suspension. 24 inch diameter is easy on the bearings and the wider tire is rock stable.

+1
    Also bring a spare hub and bearings,

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information