Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

What do y'all do with your key fob?

This is kind of a dumb question, (but it's kind of slow around here, lol) but I'm used to having a Seadoo and the safety lanyard/security key are all one, and I just keep it attached to "my" vest. The only time it would come off would be in the rare occasion that I would let a very trusted friend take my ski out. I have ordered a longer lanyard for the GP so that I can attach it to my vest and was thinking of attaching the fob to it along with a foam key float. Just wondering if this is a good idea and wanted to see what other folks do.
    Thanks
    John

+1
    Being that I am usually in positive-control of my ski at all times (aka rarely beach it unattended at social gatherings), I leave the ski in unlock mode (see rant below) & stow the fob in a small zip-lock and hide it on the ski. I still bring it along just in case ( and who knows why it ever would) the ski ever self-lock on me.

_rant_
    I'm really disappointed in Yamaha for not having a more conducive security system. The reality is, I choose NOT to lock my ski out of the concern that one day I'd beach it / lock it ; go eat lunch ; then come back to unlock it and discover my fob or battery just died & now I'm stranded…. OK, blah blah, granted the odds of that actually happening are likely nil & none, but so are the chances on winning the lottery yet we retain the optimism of possibly winning. So inversely, I retain the pessimism of my fob one-day failing. At least with a automobile fob, one can still use a physical key or push-button entry as back up entry. But the ski has no back-up method (other than a 2nd fob if you are lucky to have another). So, because there’s no back-up entry, together with that chance of being locked-out (yes as rare as that might be), still fosters this complacent behavior of keeping the ski always unlocked - which flies in the face of what we owners really should be doing to protect our investment.
    _end rant_

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    On a Yamaha the lanyard is the safety engine kill. The separate wireless radio remote is the security ‘key fob’.

I like that the laynard is a simple plastic clip, so each PFD (rider and passenger) can have a lanyard that stays clipped to the PFD. If the primary driver gets ejected or the lanyard breaks or is otherwise lost, the passenger also has a lanyard right there, ready to use.

My understanding is that the Yamaha remote key fob is water resistant but not entirely water proof. If the remote is submerged or repeated doused with water, some may seep inside and render it unusable.

I would also prefer to not have the remote banged about, which over time can occur if the remote is swinging from the lanyard, and when PFD is tossed aside between rides, etc.

Right now I have my primary remote stashed in the glove box, inside a small waterproof dry pouch. I don’t really like having the remote loose in the glove box, more than once already it has been accidentally pulled out when I was reaching for other things in there.

At the very least I will attach a key fob foam float to the remote, in a bright color. Make it more visible should it fall into the water or on the dock as I am walking away from the locked ski.

What to do with the spare remote? If I leave it in the car or at home, losing the main remote while docked for lunch somewhere far away might create a problem. Bringing it with me means that both remotes have to be carried about and kept track of. Putting them on the same key ring seems like a bad idea. I do not have a really good answer for this.

My current thinking is to attach my spare remote to the other ski or rider (we almost always ride two PWC).

Some guys have stashed the spare remote in a ‘secret’ location inside the hull. In a waterproof pouch or padded dry box, I presume. This has some appeal, but one must figure out a location that others would not also be using or think of looking in

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    _rant_
    ... the concern that one day I'd beach it / lock it ; go eat lunch ; then come back to unlock it and discover my fob or battery just died & now I'm stranded….

... the ski has no back-up method (other than a 2nd fob if you are lucky to have another). So, because there’s no back-up entry, together with that chance of being locked-out (yes as rare as that might be), still fosters this complacent behavior of keeping the ski always unlocked - which flies in the face of what we owners really should be doing to protect our investment.
    _end rant_
    For owners that only received one remote key fob#, check whether a second ‘spare’ key fob is attached somewhere around the top of the fuel tank. My understanding is that Yamaha factory normally attaches the remotes to or above the fuel tank. The dealer may only remove one for use during pre-delivery prep but leave the other one inside the hull, up under the steering area.

Some Yamaha models only include one remote, some include two. Sometimes the dealer sales people may be unaware which models should come with two, and which come with only one remote.

My watercraft came with two remotes. If it only came with one, I would seriously consider spending the money to have a second remote, programmed to work with the same watercraft.

An alternate to locking the ski using the electronic key fob remote is to add a secret/hidden manual disable switch*. Or to partially unplug something under the seat, making the engine inoperable unless they know what to reconnect.

* Adding anything to the electrical system inside the PWC hull requires care. The modifications must be at least as well thought out, waterproof, ignition proof, corrosion proofand reliable as the factory wiring configuration. Typical ‘marine’ switches and wiring blocks meant for boats do not make the grade.

#For anyone that has a Yamaha remote that is getting on in years, consider replacing the coin battery inside with a fresh battery. Coin batteries tend to last for years, but when the battery eventually does expire, it may not be at a convenient time or place. Buy a new battery from a reputable seller that would have fresh inventory. Do not use a ‘new’ battery that has been sitting around already for several years.

Carefully open the remote and change the battery. Make sure the seals are clean and in place, it should continue to work for a bunch more years. Then change the battery again.

Question: Is is possible to ‘bypass’ the remote security lock mode and force a modern Yamaha to start and run?

+1
    Thanks for the reply guys, I never considered that the fob wasn't waterproof. I think that I'll put it in a zip lock with a silicon dry thingy in there and put it in the storage bucket that's under the passenger seat. I'll do the foam key float on it just in case as well. Probably wouldn't hurt me to read the owners manual as well! Lol.

6. +1 by:

bop

+1
    The dry box on an fx has a slot for the fob, I leave mine in the car when I’m on the ski. However I’m more worried about what I do with the car fob while I’m riding the ski!,,,, so I put that in the dry box in a waterproof pouch or round my neck in a dry pouch (inside my suit)

apperently the yamaha security is easily bypassed by those in the know... (what I was told)probably stop someone at the beach but if ski is stolen and taken away easily defeated.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I've had a number of Yamaha mysteriously go into full on lock mode for no reason I could determine. Having the fob well hidden in a waterproof container is a really really good idea. Need security?..pull an important relay or fuse or something.

And the remote is not waterproof by any means of the imagination.

Ignition security is a double edged sword..the better the security, the more pain you have when "it" goes wrong.

Best move the way I see it is to have the fob in the glove box of your car and only use it when "it" happens

+1
    Enjoying this thread thus far . . .
    I for one have early-on wanted to "delete" Yamaha's "Remote Control Receiver' box, and go with my own custom Arduino-based remote system, or just some hidden kill switch (as K447) mentioned above.
    So having some electrical background. . . I dove into the wire diagrams and conducted a few readings. I thought it were just a case of mimicking the required grounds and positives the box interrupts in lock-mode. Not totally the case. My findings were that while it does interrupt ground for the starter solenoid energizer coil and buzzer, it also has a few connections to the cluster (possibly for the security LED), and several connections to the ECU - believed to be one a power signal line (pin 14) and a data (pin 28 - k-line) path. In other words, it "talks" to the ECU. It likely sends messages for L-mode, but also believed to authenticate with the ECU upon wake-up. So without the Remote Control Receiver present, the ECU simply stays in sleep mode. Needless I gave up. I have no-doubt those in the know likely know the secret-sauce.
    In regards to my rant above…. My issue is not the fob, rather not have an alternate means to legitimately start my ski without the fob (when left in lock mode). If I had this capability, I'd actually use my fob religiously - especially at the ramp when I have to walk and get the trailer. FWIW, because I run a (modified) dual batt configuration, I do have a batt kill/selector switch. This helps at the ramp for now against any hooligan quick heist getaways perhaps.

+1
    Timebandit, why the dual battery setup? I have a dual battery setup on my 05 Rxp because I installed a stereo in it. Would you mind posting a picture of your setup, and your battery disconnect? I was considering installing a disconnect in the GP. Appreciate if you can.
    Thanks
    John

+1

What do y'all do with your key fob?

I used to keep mine in a dry bag with my wallet and keys up front in my gp1800. The first one got a hole punctured in the casing and no longer works. I keep mine in with the water bottle and cell phone now in the center storage between my legs. I like the thought of having a secondary way to unlock the Ski. I do not lock mine when unless it’s behind the truck or in storage, it stays unlocked on the water.

Edit: wording

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information