Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Triton WC-2 Brakes

Just ordered a new WC-2 with the surge brakes, Triton doesn't list electric brakes as a option. I'm not a fan of surge brakes, those with the WC-2. Do You guys like The surge or should I order without the surge and put electric on afterwards?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by moparguy View Post
    Just ordered a new WC-2 with the surge brakes, Triton doesn't list electric brakes as a option.

I'm not a fan of surge brakes, those with the WC-2. Do you guys like the surge or should I order without the surge and put electric on afterwards?
    My Triton WC2-2 double trailer was delivered with drum surge brakes. They have never worked well for me.

I pulled the trailer several thousand miles this summer, with the drum brakes disabled for the majority of the distance. My trailer carries two full size Yamaha PWC, two trailer boxes and some other bits. Something over 2000 pounds plus the trailer's own weight. I also installed some aluminum decking on top of the trailer frame, adding another 200+ pounds.

The surge brakes, since new, tend to grab and pulse cycle when slowing down, creating a very noticeable jerking effect inside the tow vehicle.

I received the trailer in May 2017, factory new. By July the brake mechanisms were already rusting inside the drums. I only ride in fresh water.

Drum brakes on a PWC marine trailer just do not make sense to me. Cannot inspect, cannot lubricate, cannot service anything without taking the drum brake entirely off the axle.

Surge brakes on a fairly light weight PWC trailer (compared to a several ton cargo trailer) also seem likely to chop and repeatedly cycle during modest braking.

I intend to remove the drum brakes entirely and install disc brakes with electric over hydraulic brake control.

If I was to do it again, I would order the WC2-2 trailer without any brakes, just the square mounting brackets welded on the axles. The caveat is that the VIN sticker will then list a lower maximum weight rating. The WC2-2 model with brakes is 4000 pounds rated, the same WC2-2 trailer without brakes is rated for 3000 something pounds.

In my case this means I will be discarding the factory surge coupler (Titon?), the rusty drums and drum backing plate with all attached internal hardware.

New hardware will include a standard (not surge) high quality tongue coupler, disc brake kits and electric over hydraulic controller, plus battery, all mounted on the trailer.

The tow vehicle will now need an electric brake controller and wiring to connect to the trailer. Seven pin trailer connector is standard for electric braking on trailer, electric over hydraulic is very similar.

3. +1 by:

+1
    My experiences with surge brakes have been pretty much what you have experienced. My biggest reason for being biased to electric is if trailer gets squirely or in a emergency braking situation, I have my spike to hopefully straighten her up and slow her down. All my trucks have brake controllers, and 7 pin harnesses. Sounds like ordering it with the surge(for higher weight rating) and converting to electric once i get it, might be the way to go. Thanks for your input kk447, with the brakes disconnected does the trailer like to "push" the tow vehicle? In my experience some trailers are more noticeable on the back than others.

+1
    I did adjust the brake shoes, removed both drums (more than once), cleaned and lubricated the sliding parts. Just never worked well.

One adjuster was delivered from the factory so far from correct that the hydraulic piston came far enough out of the bore that it jammed in a canted position. This bound the shoes and create enormous heat before I realized what was happening. I was already hundreds of miles into a long road trip. Parking lot repair ensued after letting it cool down enough to handle. I had to take the drum off and properly adjust, then reassemble. Checked the other brake at the same time. It was closer to correct.

Drum was slightly out of round, but not much different from the other side. Even after adjusting and re-adjusting, sometimes the trailer would slow nicely and sometimes it would promptly snatch and pump until I either stopped completely or accelerated slightly. Brake again, it would do it again.

Eventually I inserted a blocking pin to prevent the surge coupler from sliding and activating the brakes at all. With the brakes disabled, the trailer stops quite nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by moparguy View Post
    My experiences with surge brakes have been pretty much what you have experienced. My biggest reason for being biased to electric is if trailer gets squirely or in a emergency braking situation, I have my spike to hopefully straighten her up and slow her down. All my trucks have brake controllers, and 7 pin harnesses. Sounds like ordering it with the surge(for higher weight rating) and converting to electric once i get it, might be the way to go. Thanks for your input kk447, with the brakes disconnected does the trailer like to "push" the tow vehicle? In my experience some trailers are more noticeable on the back than others.

I've got the 2-2 without brakes. Never had an issue with it pushing. I tow and Fzr/xlt combo. So figure 1800 pounds with fuel. I have tomcheck sometime i dont even know its back there. Especially with a soft-ride hitch I have. I tow with a Grand Cherokee

7. +1 by:

+1
    Mopar. If you're using a pickup you probably won't even notice it even without brakes. 2000lbs is nothing for a full size truck.

+1
    Traditionally, trailer manufacturers have not used electric brakes on boat trailers because the brake magnet wiring and trailer wiring do not always have the best insulation or water protection.

+1

Triton WC-2 Brakes

Wow I’m sooo glad I read this Tonight about this trailer . I was literally about to buy one in 2 weeks simply for brakes. Pulling both the doo’s .., quick stopping is really hard on the trail blazer I pull with . Currently got the elite WC NOW and was considering selling it to get your trailer . Maybe I’ll just keep my fully decked out one and just go with it .

M
    Last edited by Mpeavler; 01-14-2018 at 01:31 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman View Post
    Traditionally, trailer manufacturers have not used electric brakes on boat trailers because the [drum] brake magnet wiring and trailer wiring do not always have the best insulation or water protection.
    Hence my intention to install electric over hydraulic.

Hydraulic disc brakes, with electrical controller/pump unit mounted forward on the trailer. No magnets or wires anywhere near the actual disc brakes.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
    Mopar. If you're using a pickup you probably won't even notice it even without brakes. 2000lbs is nothing for a full size truck.
    My tow rig is my RAM Rebel and weight of trailer and skis is 3 to 4k. My Karavan double you know is on the back, it has be the worst tracking trailer I've ever had.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information