Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

+1

Expanding the versatility of the new 2018 LinQ attachment system

As many of you know, the new 2018 skis are now getting the LinQ attachment system which was actually carried over from the Ski-Doo guys.

While the LinQ setup on the Sea-Doo is a big step forward it still has some limitations that I think provide an opportunity for improvement:

1. Only one limited spot to put things.
    2. Only 3 BRP proprietary components can be used.
    3. Fuel caddies cannot be stacked.

On the topic of improvements, and starting with item number 1, the Ski-Doo guys have developed LinQ adapter brackets which convert 1 LinQ footprint into multiple which switches on the old light bulb to a possible use case with us on PWCs:

What if someone could develop something similar for the PWC LinQ system where a bracket like this could be tailored to the PWC LinQ brackets? You would just need to have a LinQ bracket and latch on it to attach to the current LinQ slots on the ski effectively turning 1 spot into 2 spots side by side at a 90 degree offset orientation to the current layout. The LinQ brackets and latches are available as individual parts from Sea Doo meaning they can be mounted to just about anything provided you keep the same distance between the two mounting points.

Latches:

LinQ OEM Base Mounts for adapter bracket:

To address items 2 and 3 from above, if we had an base adapter to convert our 1 LinQ spot to two side by side we could carry double the fuel with two caddies side by side and even have room to put bags on top of the two fuel caddies enabling us to carry double the cargo bags also.

With the availability of the OEM LinQ brackets above we could essentially mount the latches on anything and carry anything we can mount the latches to as long as we maintain the original footprint to satisfy the mounting points on the rear deck.

Obviously the bracket would need to be made with robust enough material to handle the extra load and we would also need to make sure the original 2 mounting points can handle the load. Additionally, it would need to have feet on it which would not damage the deck/turf that the bracket would be sitting on. A broad foot on each corner with as much contact area as possible should avoid impressions from the feet into the turf mat.

Does anyone know the spec for the approved weight rating for the 2 LinQ mounting points on the new Skis? I think it's safe to say they are at least designed to carry the weight of the loaded cooler which could be 25+ lbs which they show in their marketing content. What do you guys think of all of this?

I'll dig into the '18 manual in the meantime to see if there are any specs listed for the approved carrying load for the LinQ mounts.

I borrowed the original pic from The Watercraft Journal, but what if.....:

Or even better:

Sea Doo LinQ Accessories Here

https://www.4-tecperformance.com/ind...x&cPath=18_315
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	75-tm_thickbox_default.jpg 
Views:	2480 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	426025   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LinQ Adapter.jpg 
Views:	2670 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	426024   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71ZAgo5LjdL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	2354 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	426026   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linq2.jpg 
Views:	2633 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	426033   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whatif.jpg 
Views:	2473 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	426040   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whatif2.jpg 
Views:	2900 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	426041  

Last edited by "Technically"; 01-07-2018 at 05:10 PM.

+1
    Now that I finally have my skis, I've had some time to bring this to fruition. The LinQ brackets finally arrived - they're actually really nice and extremely lightweight.

Judging by the looks and weight, they appear to be thixomolded from magnesium.

I have a colleague who is working on making an adapter bracket prototype. Right now the challenge is to find 4 points which the feet of the bracket would be contacting for base support. The corner bumpers make a great 2 but 2 more points need to be chosen at the topmost part near the ski tower or end of the footwells.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180224_162953.jpg 
Views:	2162 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	428581   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180224_161144_HDR.jpg 
Views:	2215 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	428582   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180224_162925.jpg 
Views:	2209 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	428583   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180224_162941.jpg 
Views:	2176 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	428584   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180224_163322_HDR.jpg 
Views:	2187 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	428585  

It got WIFI and touchscreen ! PWCGUY's Avatar
    +1
    Keep going ! Very interested in this project. Maybe you could use the ski pylon port for a third point instead of 4 point mount.

4. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by "Technically" View Post

Obviously the bracket would need to be made with robust enough material to handle the extra load and we would also need to make sure the original 2 mounting points can handle the load.

Additionally, it would need to have feet on it which would not damage the deck/turf that the bracket would be sitting on. A broad foot on each corner with as much contact area as possible should avoid impressions from the feet into the turf mat.

How would you be strengthening the factory LinQ fittings on the Seadoo deck?

Based on the experience of others adding fuel jugs using various racks on the back deck, look to spreading the load broadly onto the deck material. Small ‘feet’ supporting a hefty load weight tend to flex the underlying deck material and risk stress cracking.

One possible method is to support the load at the outer rim (rub rail hull joint). That would require some sort of bracket/frame fabrication.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    How would you be strengthening the factory LinQ fittings on the Seadoo deck?

Based on the experience of others adding fuel jugs using various racks on the back deck, look to spreading the load broadly onto the deck material. Small ‘feet’ supporting a hefty load weight tend to flex the underlying deck material and risk stress cracking.

One possible method is to support the load at the outer rim (rub rail hull joint). That would require some sort of bracket/frame fabrication.
    The only thing holding the LinQ bases to the deck are the torx bolts around the perimeter of the deck plate and in the ski pylon hole. According to the brp install guide for the brackets, each one is capable of a 30lb dynamic load.

Another fun fact - there are two more LinQ adapter holes near the back seat where the legs of the ski pylon go in giving us a total of 4 mounting points.

So I have a 2017 gtx 300. I bought it the year before they came out with the linq system.
    I would love to be able to mount the new cooler to my jet ski. Was thinking of removing the speed tie and making a mount of some kind to mount the linq system in its place. Anyone make a mount to mount the new cooler to old jet skis.

+1
    Subscribed! (thumbs UP!)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperman View Post
    So I have a 2017 gtx 300. I bought it the year before they came out with the linq system.
    I would love to be able to mount the new cooler to my jet ski. Was thinking of removing the speed tie and making a mount of some kind to mount the linq system in its place. Anyone make a mount to mount the new cooler to old jet skis.
    They are now starting to do a retro fit kit for older craft, some dealers over here have them already.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperman View Post
    I posted this kit in another post a while back , the kit is available no more need to hope it is a reality .

Quote Originally Posted by DR2006RXP View Post
    I posted this kit in another post a while back , the kit is available no more need to hope it is a reality .
    Do you mind if you share the link again; I tried searching your old posts but couldn’t find it. Thanks

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information