Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

+1

P0106 error - really need help with this guys.

Hi Guys,

Apologies in advance for a slightly long thread. I've tried everything I can think of to fix this issue, and cant seem to crack the nut.

So before I get flamed too hard ....I've read through probably about 25 different threads on the dreaded P0106 error, with no luck in fixing my problem. I've done as much homework as I can.

A bit of background info. I bought the ski as a non runner, and over the last few months have built it back up to where it is now.

Ski is an 09 255 IS RXT

5 days ago I took the ski for its maiden voyage, and it ran flawlessly.....and I mean flawlessly. It didn't miss a beat, had zero error codes etc. I didn't rev it past about 5000 rpm, and took it really easy. This first (and only) run lasted about 2 hours trouble free.

I brought the ski home, and flushed it out....again everything ran fine during the flush. Flush was for about 1 minute or so.

I then left the ski sitting in the garage for about 4 days. Yesterday I went to start it, and that's when the issue began. On start, the ski jumped up to about 4000rpm for about 5-6 seconds, before slowly settling down to about 1800 where it sat for about 2 seconds, and then started coughing and spluttering.......very rich and a moderate amount of fuel smoke.

I hooked up BUDS and found it had P0106 - manifold Intake pressure sensor out of range. I did a bit of homework on the interweb thingy, and came up with a few options.

1) Dodgy wiring in the harness somewhere. I followed the recommendations in buds, and in the service manual (which have slightly different recommendations)
    The Service manual says I should have 5 volts at PIN1, with zero volts at PIN2 and 3. This has tested successfully.

The recommendation in Buds says:
    Check sensor connector for:
    a) 5 volts supply from ECM on pin 1.
    b) Ground supply from ECM on pin 2.
    c) Analog voltage from sensor to ECM on pin 3.
    A) tested successfully - I have 5 volts at PIN1.
    B) did not quite test successfully (although it may have been the way I did it). I attempted a continuity test between PIN2 and the -ve post of the battery. Continuity exists, however there is a lot of resistance (160ohms). Not enough to make my volts meter "beep" during a continuity test.
    C) Seems fine - 12 volts.

I had a spare throttle body, to swapped that out, cleared the P0106 error, and performed a throttle reset with BUDS - still had the same issue.

So I moved on have a look at other things. I disconnected the intercooler hose from the Throttle Body again and started it. Low and behold, I found the intercooler was buggered. It started spraying water out of the intercooler hose. I went and got myself a new intercooler, and was thinking that the leaking intercooler (salt water vessel) may have caused the MAP sensor to become faulty. I purchased a new sensor at the same time, came home, bolted everything together, and still have the same problem!!!!!.

I have checked the oil, and its still perfect. Not milky at all.

I have tried disconnecting the TOPS sensor (following advice from another thread on this site), resetting the error and starting again, but again no luck.

Ive tried disconnecting every connector I can get my hands on, spraying the with contact cleaner, and then plugging it all back together....no luck.

Ive tried visually inspecting the fuse box to see if it has and loose terminals. No dice.

Im at a loss guys....and would REALLY appreciate some guidance and help on what I can try next. As luck would have it, the weather over the next few days is awesome ski weather, and the kids are hoping I can get it running.

Open to any suggestions at all.

Cheers

Dave

Model of ski?year!?hours!?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.seadoo View Post
    Model of ski?year!?hours!?
    Hey dr.seadoo.....yeah sorry about that mate. I realised that after I posted and edited my post to add.

It is an 09 RXT IS 255. The ski has 200 odd hour on it, but remembering I bought it as a non runner, and the engine is fully rebuilt with new "everything". All running gear is brand new. Pistons, rings, bearings, etc etc....

Charger has been rebuilt, as has jet pump.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by davus View Post
    Hi Guys,

Apologies in advance for a slightly long thread. I've tried everything I can think of to fix this issue, and cant seem to crack the nut.

So before I get flamed too hard ....I've read through probably about 25 different threads on the dreaded P0106 error, with no luck in fixing my problem. I've done as much homework as I can.

A bit of background info. I bought the ski as a non runner, and over the last few months have built it back up to where it is now.

Ski is an 09 255 IS RXT

5 days ago I took the ski for its maiden voyage, and it ran flawlessly.....and I mean flawlessly. It didn't miss a beat, had zero error codes etc. I didn't rev it past about 5000 rpm, and took it really easy. This first (and only) run lasted about 2 hours trouble free.

I brought the ski home, and flushed it out....again everything ran fine during the flush. Flush was for about 1 minute or so.

I then left the ski sitting in the garage for about 4 days. Yesterday I went to start it, and that's when the issue began. On start, the ski jumped up to about 4000rpm for about 5-6 seconds, before slowly settling down to about 1800 where it sat for about 2 seconds, and then started coughing and spluttering.......very rich and a moderate amount of fuel smoke.

I hooked up BUDS and found it had P0106 - manifold Intake pressure sensor out of range. I did a bit of homework on the interweb thingy, and came up with a few options.

1) Dodgy wiring in the harness somewhere. I followed the recommendations in buds, and in the service manual (which have slightly different recommendations)
    The Service manual says I should have 5 volts at PIN1, with zero volts at PIN2 and 3. This has tested successfully.

The recommendation in Buds says:
    Check sensor connector for:
    a) 5 volts supply from ECM on pin 1.
    b) Ground supply from ECM on pin 2.
    c) Analog voltage from sensor to ECM on pin 3.
    A) tested successfully - I have 5 volts at PIN1.
    B) did not quite test successfully (although it may have been the way I did it). I attempted a continuity test between PIN2 and the -ve post of the battery. Continuity exists, however there is a lot of resistance (160ohms). Not enough to make my volts meter "beep" during a continuity test.
    C) Seems fine - 12 volts.

I had a spare throttle body, to swapped that out, cleared the P0106 error, and performed a throttle reset with BUDS - still had the same issue.

So I moved on have a look at other things. I disconnected the intercooler hose from the Throttle Body again and started it. Low and behold, I found the intercooler was buggered. It started spraying water out of the intercooler hose. I went and got myself a new intercooler, and was thinking that the leaking intercooler (salt water vessel) may have caused the MAP sensor to become faulty. I purchased a new sensor at the same time, came home, bolted everything together, and still have the same problem!!!!!.

I have checked the oil, and its still perfect. Not milky at all.

I have tried disconnecting the TOPS sensor (following advice from another thread on this site), resetting the error and starting again, but again no luck.

Ive tried disconnecting every connector I can get my hands on, spraying the with contact cleaner, and then plugging it all back together....no luck.

Ive tried visually inspecting the fuse box to see if it has and loose terminals. No dice.

Im at a loss guys....and would REALLY appreciate some guidance and help on what I can try next. As luck would have it, the weather over the next few days is awesome ski weather, and the kids are hoping I can get it running.

Open to any suggestions at all.

Cheers

Dave
    In the second test you say you have 12v!?or is it 1-2v!?
    If you check wiring from sensor and ecu ,and tryed another sensor you might have a problem inside ecu.

+1
    Hey guys,

Sorry - let me clarify the voltage testing. I don't think I did those tests well at all.

Pin1 - With ECU "Awake" and ski not running" = 5V
    Pin2 - With ECU "Awake" and ski not running = good continuity between Pin2 and -ve post of battery.
    12V between pin2 and +ve post of battery
    Pin3 - With ECU "Awake" and ski not running - 0V. from what I understand here I need to have the engine running to get an voltage reading?.

Dave

Very important on pin 3 from sensor to ecu you must have very good continuity and 0 resistance,when i perform tests loke this i use a probe lamp and in draw voltage thru the circuit iwant to test using test wires,if the lamp is lighting strong the circuit is ok.
    The A-G4 circuit(pin3 to ecu) is used for signal =value ,and this circuit is working with very low voltage 1-5v,if you have a resistance in this circuit the signal=input for ecu is wrong.
    If al i have stated is ok its almost sure you have a faulty ecu.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.seadoo View Post
    Very important on pin 3 from sensor to ecu you must have very good continuity and 0 resistance,when i perform tests loke this i use a probe lamp and in draw voltage thru the circuit iwant to test using test wires,if the lamp is lighting strong the circuit is ok.
    The A-G4 circuit(pin3 to ecu) is used for signal =value ,and this circuit is working with very low voltage 1-5v,if you have a resistance in this circuit the signal=input for ecu is wrong.
    If al i have stated is ok its almost sure you have a faulty ecu.
    P.s. Forgot to says to test or change the. Maps sensor

+1
    Thanks dr.seadoo. On the ecu terminal, would you happen to know what on I need to check continuity on with pin3?

I purchased and installed a brand new maps this morning. So pretty sure the sensor is not the issue, but out of interest, how does one test a maps sensor??

+1
    ok - so ive just finished a bit more testing....and I cant find anything glaring.

I took the entire loom out of the ski (only a ten minute job), and tested the continuity for each of the three pins on the MAP sensor connector back to the ECU.

All three pins tested fine with zero resistance.

So in summary.

1) Pin1 is getting 5 volts no problems.
    2) Pin2 has earth
    3) Pin3 hard to test voltage as I need to have ski running. Might try and splice into the wire for this while ski is running and see if I can measure voltage.

I think it might also be a good thing for me to plug the loom back in and test resistance again. There may be some funny business going on when all plugs are connected.....although to be honest I think its a long shot.

Something tells me its gotta be something other than the ECU. Cant quite accept that just yet.

Looking for help guys. Really appreciate some brains trust jumping in to help if possible.

Cheers

Dave

+1
    put the loom back in the ski, and again all tested ok.

In addition to doing the continuity tests, I also spliced into Pin3, to measure the voltage while the ski was running, and indeed at idle I get about 1.6V. If I give the ski a bit of a rev, it will jump up to about 2V, and then settle back to 1.5-1.6v at idle. But cant really get it any higher than that (understandable given its not in the water under load).

Interestingly, on occasion, if I give it a rev, the engine light will go off, and it will rev cleanly, but then when it come back down to idle it will start coughing again, and the engine light (IE: P0106) will come back. Give it another rev, and sometimes it goes away, and so on. This behaviour isn't consistent though.....will only do it sometimes. The rest of the time it will rev very sluggish (limp mode).

Majorly stuck here guys. Begging for help.

Dave

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information