Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xkon View Post
    I thought going with a top loader grate increases the chance of sucking up more debris. There is a larger opening that can now allow larger objects in? On Riva's website they state that the probability of pulling something in is greater?
    No, there is not a greater chance of sucking in more debris. Below is the product description of the Riva intake grate. Nowhere does it say anything about pulling something in is greater.

Quote Originally Posted by RIVA
    Our revolutionary new intake grate for GP1800, VXR and VXS delivers the ultimate in speed, hook up & strength. All new design features oversized top loader wing and optimized inlet ramp for closed course and offshore racing. Bulletproof stainless steel construction makes this grate virtually indestructible and eliminates the need for additional restrictive support bars. Race bred design significantly reduces cavitation and provides superior handling along with unmatched durability in extreme conditions. Key Features:Dramatic increase in hook up due to new top-loader wing design & inlet ramp
    Improved top speed in rough water conditions
    No top speed loss on smooth water
    Race bred design provides excellent handling
    Significantly reduces cavitation
    Bulletproof stainless steel construction tested at 90mph

+1
    It is under the review/questions for the grate. I just don't see how a wider opening would not have greater chances of pulling something in? Things that could not fit in before now can instead of being deflected away?

Andrew B. Verified Reviewer

08/07/17

Q: I like to ride in areas with higher possibilities of debris (sticks and vegetation). Will this design make the possibility of pulling something in greater?

Answers (1)

RIVA Racing

08/07/17

A: Yes

+1
    Well, they gave you a stupid answer. ANYONE with any experience using any of the scoop type grates will tell you they do NOT have any issues with sucking in any more debris then normal. The scoop grates simply channel the water that's already coming into the pump anyway towards the top of the pump increasing pump efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by xkon View Post
    It is under the review/questions for the grate. I just don't see how a wider opening would not have greater chances of pulling something in? Things that could not fit in before now can instead of being deflected away?

Andrew B. Verified Reviewer

08/07/17

Q: I like to ride in areas with higher possibilities of debris (sticks and vegetation). Will this design make the possibility of pulling something in greater?

Answers (1)

RIVA Racing

08/07/17

A: Yes

I may have missed it but what were the numbers on the stock grate? That’ll help me decide more on buying another one ��

5. +1 by:

+1
    It probably does let more debris go through the pump
    But a stock great grate will clog with debris and you will have to get into the water to clear it

Quote Originally Posted by fx160 View Post
    It probably does let more debris go through the pump
    But a stock great grate will clog with debris and you will have to get into the water to clear it
    i ride in bays off long island, we def have issues with seaweed, i dont think i am going to change the stock grate, its sucks having to get off and pull out all the seaweed with the stock grate which has the grate with the bars in place, but i think it would be worse to allow seaweed to get up into the jet pump...

+1
    I will tell you the impeller is like a super food chopper, it will chop anything but rocks. I have been using aftermarket scoop grates for 30 years with no issues, and I will tell you its one of the first things I change. Before aftermarket ones were available I would cut the half the bars out of the stock one. For one it practically eliminates having to get off and clear weeds out of the stock grate. I have seen other riders attempt to operate with weeds in the grate and run the darn ski till it overheats. Not a good thing. Never had an issue with weeds staying in the pump.

Any plans on testing the new GP1800R and VXR grate vs the Riva and Worx? I have the Wirx on my VXR and if the new Yamaha grate is faster and has similar hookup, I am tempted to swap. My Worx corrodes (full with aluminumoxide) like crazy, while my rideplate does not (Yamaha with Jim’s cut).

Also thinking of going for the new plate as it is longer and I ride where it gets choppy.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Elchenland View Post
    Any plans on testing the new GP1800R and VXR grate vs the Riva and Worx? I have the Wirx on my VXR and if the new Yamaha grate is faster and has similar hookup, I am tempted to swap. My Worx corrodes (full with aluminumoxide) like crazy, while my rideplate does not (Yamaha with Jim’s cut).

Also thinking of going for the new plate as it is longer and I ride where it gets choppy.

Modified worx grate
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	227FC3F1-A7C2-49A4-9830-17A4EE710504.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	444715  

Hey Quick question
    With the worx Intake grate on installing it do you get to use or do you the stock oem pump seal that does to the ride plate as the Riva intake grate one does!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information