Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrillefrenchy View Post
    good job player four, if it holds that's good but i dont think it will last very long, a seal lip can dig a groove in a hardened steel shaft like crank or driveshaft, i dont thing jb weld or other epoxy is harder than steel.
    I am doing these jobs for customers and so far i saw 4 this year, none of these guys wanted to replace cranks as value of these skis are around 3k and repair cost will be too close to ski value, 2 skis have been sold cheap on craigslist and 2 others owners asked me to install automatic bilge pump and are still running like that.
    Yeah the weld may not last much longer but hey it cost $5 to fix haha

I really think a class action could be brought on against Sea-Doo for this crank issue with these ski's. This is a very common issue it seems just from the few forum post I've seen on it, and the vast majority of people that have had this issue are most likely not making forum post.

You're absolutely right though, the fix cost just as much as the ski is worth so it's just not worth it. The automatic bilge pump is a good idea.

+1
    don't do class action against seadoo, they are just fine, their design and built is great, they keep me busy at the shop, i hate these yamahas i dont make any money with em.

+1
    I have two Sparks a '16 and '17 that get about 100 hrs a year on salt water. They are both under warranty and will stay under warranty for 5 years. My main concern is BRP voiding the warranty if I have a problem if I dont get those oil seals replaced every 2 years (ridiculous, intrusive, costly periodic maintenance IMO).

Player Four has provided me some valuable info. I need to look at the date on the '16 but I know the '17 has an output sleeve so the crank wouldnt have to be replaced. If both my skis had the output sleeve I would just ride until failure knowing I wouldnt ruin the crank. My question..Do you guys know how the output sleeve would be removed?

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbs44 View Post
    I have two Sparks a '16 and '17 that get about 100 hrs a year on salt water. They are both under warranty and will stay under warranty for 5 years. My main concern is BRP voiding the warranty if I have a problem if I dont get those oil seals replaced every 2 years (ridiculous, intrusive, costly periodic maintenance IMO).

Player Four has provided me some valuable info. I need to look at the date on the '16 but I know the '17 has an output sleeve so the crank wouldnt have to be replaced. If both my skis had the output sleeve I would just ride until failure knowing I wouldnt ruin the crank. My question..Do you guys know how the output sleeve would be removed?
    Gibbs,

Here's a part diagram for the 2016s
    https://www.seadoopartshouse.com/oem...900-900-ho-ace

They do indeed have the output sleeve if built during or after March 2016, so you wouldn't need an entire crank if the sleeve became rusted.
    You can check the date by looking at your hull ID. If the last 4 characters are 0316 or the first 2 number out of the last 4 are greater than 03 then you're good.
    I'm not sure how the sleeve is removed though. I sure wish my ski had the sleeve though!!
    Last edited by K447; 11-23-2017 at 01:58 PM. Reason: during or after March 2016

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Player Four View Post
    ... Here's a part diagram for the 2016s
    https://www.seadoopartshouse.com/oem...900-900-ho-ace

They do indeed have the output sleeve if built after March ...

You can check the date by looking at your hull ID. If the last 4 characters are 0316 or the first 2 number out of the last 4 are greater than 03 then you're good...
    AFTER March 2016 the HIN code would be 0416 or later, as 0316 is March 2016

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    AFTER March 2016 the HIN code would be 0416 or later, as 0316 is March 2016

Sorry I meant built IN March OR after. So 03 is still correct. My mistake on wording

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrillefrenchy View Post
    i have seen a few leaking exactly where you say: there is 2 slots on rear engine casing around crankshaft, the crankshaft itself is rusted and the 2 seals located inside that little casing are not doing their job anymore, there is no metal left, it all turned into rust. unfortunately the only way to fix it right is to replace the crankshaft.
    I had this exact same issue. My thread is here somewhere......Really was a letdown not having the ski all summer, but it was nice that warranty covered it, the bill was just under 3K.

+1
    @player4,
    This may be a dumb question but can you install an output sleeve "#2" on a 2015 spark?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramps View Post
    @player4,
    This may be a dumb question but can you install an output sleeve "#2" on a 2015 spark?

Ramps,

That won't work unfortunately. I believe that the crankshaft on the 2016s are threaded some and that is how the sleeve is screwed on to the crank. The cranks of a 14 & 15 have no threads.

+1
    Thanks Player Four...

Quote Originally Posted by Player Four View Post
    Ramps,

That won't work unfortunately. I believe that the crankshaft on the 2016s are threaded some and that is how the sleeve is screwed on to the crank. The cranks of a 14 & 15 have no threads.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information