Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    no need to fog any 4 stroke. if you r going to do anything- do what nmpeter said above

+1
    If I remember right, it's recommended in the maintenance schedule every 50 hrs. If you ride in salt & use an aftermarket intake without the pre-filter, you WILL get corrosion in the intake tract. I usually give mine a quick spray every time I do an oil change & it's worked to keep the SC, IC & throttle body corrosion free. I use a really lightweight silicone instead of fogging oil to prevent any buildup in the IC.

3. +1 by:

+1
    I know this is an apples to oranges comparison due to supercharger design but on my Kawi 310, there is actually a port for spraying the fogging oil into the supercharger. Their manual recommends doing this after every ride which seems overkill to me.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I know this is an apples to oranges comparison due to supercharger design but on my Kawi 310, there is actually a port for spraying the fogging oil into the supercharger. Their manual recommends doing this after every ride which seems overkill to me.

Back when gas was affordable it was suggested to fog a two stroke after every outing as well.

I'd take the shop manual at the word. If $40 worth of fogging oil and the 1 hour it takes to fog ( over the course of ownership) gets you another two seasons out of the blower before it spits a bearing, it's money and time well spent.

I've been struggling with this decision also. I've fogged two strokes forever and even four stroke boats we'd fog with fogging oil or Marvel Mystery oil through the carbs. My dealer fogs the SVHO through the engine breather port in the intake. My concern with this was getting fogging oil inside the intercooler which you'd think would negatively impact efficiency. On cars I'd often remove the intercoolers and flush them to remove any oil residue, now I'm purposely supposed to spray oil into it?

I was finally able to review a Yamaha TSB on fogging Waverunners and Yamaha Boats, surprisingly the advise fogging it through the breather port into the intake ahead of the SC just like my dealer does it. What I find really hard to comprehend is how much fogging oil they advise using....spray for 1 minute through the breather port, after that move onto the intake pressure sensor hose and spray fogging oil there for 4 minutes! How many cans of oil would it take to do that? Lastly they say to spray it through each spark plug hole for 5 seconds. I'm in no position to dispute a Yamaha TSB but spraying fogging oil into an engine for 5 minutes seems excessive.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    this thread is two years old

marine engines have a different set of circumstances then automobile engines.

Lets see the copy of the TSB you have

I've got no idea of legality of sharing it online, I know that sharing service manuals seems to be frowned upon so I'd assume TSB's are similar. However it was easy enough to get, I just called Yamaha customer service and asked for it, they emailed it right over. The bulletin is WCA2011-003. It's from 2011 but they told me today that it's the most current bulletin and would apply to my 2019.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertoyz View Post
    ... called Yamaha customer service and asked for it, they emailed it right over. The bulletin is WCA2011-003. It's from 2011 but they told me today that it's the most current bulletin ...
    Referenced in this article, apparently the genesis for Cycle Springs 'Salt Series package'

Would be interesting to read the actual Yamaha PDF.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9467DE0E-A962-41AE-B066-547D174FD475.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	454357  

Quote Originally Posted by Supertoyz View Post
    I've been struggling with this decision also. I've fogged two strokes forever and even four stroke boats we'd fog with fogging oil or Marvel Mystery oil through the carbs. My dealer fogs the SVHO through the engine breather port in the intake. My concern with this was getting fogging oil inside the intercooler which you'd think would negatively impact efficiency. On cars I'd often remove the intercoolers and flush them to remove any oil residue, now I'm purposely supposed to spray oil into it?

I was finally able to review a Yamaha TSB on fogging Waverunners and Yamaha Boats, surprisingly the advise fogging it through the breather port into the intake ahead of the SC just like my dealer does it. What I find really hard to comprehend is how much fogging oil they advise using....spray for 1 minute through the breather port, after that move onto the intake pressure sensor hose and spray fogging oil there for 4 minutes! How many cans of oil would it take to do that? Lastly they say to spray it through each spark plug hole for 5 seconds. I'm in no position to dispute a Yamaha TSB but spraying fogging oil into an engine for 5 minutes seems excessive.
    I spray into spark plug holes, some people just pour a oil can cap full of oil into each hole. I personally would never spray oil up stream of intercooler.. I ride freshwater only though.

+1
    The more I research this topic, the more I have concluded that our behavior is more an issue of habit rather than anything actually scientific. I fail to see the reason why on a four stroke there is really any need to fog an engine. The dam cylinders should already be coated in oil.

On the the other hand, like all the other lemmings, I don’t want to actually see what happens if I didn’t. So I continue to ignore the facts and behave out of fear

But honestly, the only definite thing you need to do is treat the fuel tank.

My SVHO has been siting in my garage already for about half the time it would sit over the winter due to lack of use. And yet...am I worried? No. But if it were winter, the sky would be falling.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information