Polaris Slx1200 tick

Bought a 2000 slx1200, anyone know why the ski would make a ticking noise. Not a constant tick, may tick a couple times then a couple minutes later tick a few times. I thinks it's mainly when you let off the trottle. Any ideas?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    How loud is this tick? Can you tell where it is coming from?

Check the engine rubber mounts. Sometimes one can break or work loose. Grab the big exhaust pipe and really heave the engine to each side. Does it move on the rubber mounts more than it should?

Sometimes the big bolts that hold the bottom of the engine crankcase to the bed plate can work loose. These are impossible to access or tighten without lifting the engine.

The mounts seem good. I originally thought it sounded from exhaust. It's not real loud but definitely noticeable.

+1
    Does this model have the plastic hood hinge? If yes, does it have the safety recall cable installed?

I don't think it has a cable on the hood. I just got it this year, first ride the steering cable broke, second ride I found out my pump stator and impeller was junk, quarter size chunks missing. The tick is when I let off the trottle. Random though, not everytime. Sound seems to be under the seat. I run 90 octane, do you think it could be that? Bad jetting? gas burning during the exhaust?

Quote Originally Posted by northman View Post
    I don't think it has a cable on the hood. I just got it this year, first ride the steering cable broke, second ride I found out my pump stator and impeller was junk, quarter size chunks missing. The tick is when I let off the trottle. Random though, not everytime. Sound seems to be under the seat. I run 90 octane, do you think it could be that? Bad jetting? gas burning during the exhaust?
    Could be pinging from a Lean condition or could be one of the engine cylinder and piston is oversize when you let off the throttle the piston rattle under load.
    Check compression in all cylinders and check the spark plugs for any gray aluminum residue impregnated in the spark plug ceramic which is indication of Detonation.

If none detonation is present you may have to measure the cylinders Bore for wear.

Best Regards Tito.

Also I check the waterbox some times the baffles inside the waterbox brake and make that type of noise too.

Tito

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by northman View Post
    I don't think it has a cable on the hood. I just got it this year ...
    If it has a plastic hood hinge then you really, really want the safety cable hood tether kit added/installed.

The problem is that the plastic hinge can crack and fail suddenly, while you are riding. If this happens at speed the air flow can instantly lift the front of the hood and then slam the entire hood into your face. At 50+mph, a hood impact to the head can cause severe injury. Polaris was sued for $million after several people were badly injured in this manner.

Polaris made a tether kit that consisted of a stainless steel flex cable which bolted to the hood and to the hull. If the hinge broke the cable prevented the hood from coming completely off and striking the rider.

I think I have posted elsewhere about the safety recall kit, with photos.

I have witnessed an SLX plastic hood hinge fail while I was riding another ski. Rider bounced over a wave (at moderate speed) and suddenly the SLX hood and the entire contents of the front storage were in the water. The hood sank immediately. We recovered the floating stuff from storage.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_35.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	422807   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0088.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	422808   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0090.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	422809   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0087.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	422810  
    Last edited by K447; 10-14-2017 at 11:03 PM.

There is definitely not a safety cable installed, I will be sure to get one.

+1
    "I have witnessed an SLX plastic hood hinge fail while I was riding another ski. Rider bounced over a wave (at moderate speed) and suddenly the SLX hood and the entire contents of the front storage were in the water. The hood sank immediately. We recovered the floating stuff from storage."

I think I know this guy K447......Would I be correct?

Thread Information