Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying 2013 kawasaki 300x. What to look for? Ski has been layed up long time

Hey guys long time reader first time poster.

The bug has bitten and I'm looking to buy another ski. Have found a great deal on a 2013 300x with only 20 hours. The ski is literally in show room condition inside and out.

My main concern is a ski that's only done 20 hrs in 5 years. Owner has told me it had its 10hr service back in 2015 with reciept which was its only service to this date.

So first thing for me to do is give it a good service. But is there anything i should really be checking or concerned about in regards to such low use over such a long time period and issues it may cause? Internals rusted? Filters broken down? Etc

As the saying goes a non used ski can have more problems that a high hour ski.
    Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.
    From what i have read the 2013 model was a good ski with no none of the piston issues the new 310's have.

Cheers guys

+1
    Without question drain th
    have low octane which can cause very serious detonation and engine damage on your first ride

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    many potential answers:

how well was it stored
    was it inside or outside
    what state/weather has it been subjected to...... you can get away with different level of storage prep in some area compared to others
    was it flushed correctly.....
    did they fill the tank with additive ( has the fuel pump/sender all rusted up )
    has it been started regularly since last ridden
    has the engine got ANY signs of corrosion externally, I would like to look inside intercooler to see if it got corrosion etc ( just remove red hose and look inside )
    Basically how long is a piece of rope!!!

sadly if you can see/understand all these potential failure areas ....Then this isn't a ski for you

Waz

Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    many potential answers:

how well was it stored
    was it inside or outside
    what state/weather has it been subjected to...... you can get away with different level of storage prep in some area compared to others
    was it flushed correctly.....
    did they fill the tank with additive ( has the fuel pump/sender all rusted up )
    has it been started regularly since last ridden
    has the engine got ANY signs of corrosion externally, I would like to look inside intercooler to see if it got corrosion etc ( just remove red hose and look inside )
    Basically how long is a piece of rope!!!

sadly if you can see/understand all these potential failure areas ....Then this isn't a ski for you

Waz
    The ski has been stored in a garage with cover on.
    The owner has stated the ski was started monthly on the hose and has put 4 hrs ride time on it in the last 6 months.
    Has had fuel stabilizer in the fuel and the engine and supercharger fogged and flushed. I live in QLD Australia so no extreme cold temps here. We have a 12 month riding season if your that keen lol.
    Inside of engine bay is mint without a trace of rust or corrosian. My main concern is the internals..
    Will pull the red hose and check intercooler and check compression. Really stuck in 2 minds now...

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane1000 View Post
    Without question drain th
    have low octane which can cause very serious detonation and engine damage on your first ride
    That will be the first thing done apon testing it. Cheers

+1
    I'm in Brisbane , were is the ski located..... happy to check it out if you want a 2nd opinion.

Waz

Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    I'm in Brisbane , were is the ski located..... happy to check it out if you want a 2nd opinion.

Waz
    Appreciate the offer waz thanks mate but the ski is to far away...That's my predictament the ski is in Bioela the middle of no where and theres no one in that area to do a pre purchase inspection for me. The seller is willing to deliver the ski to me on the Gold coast and save me 10 hour round trip. I have videos and pictures of the condition and I am happy externally. Just worried about it getting here and having issues internally due to lack of use

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nusa85 View Post
    Appreciate the offer waz thanks mate but the ski is to far away...That's my predictament the ski is in Bioela the middle of no where and theres no one in that area to do a pre purchase inspection for me. The seller is willing to deliver the ski to me on the Gold coast and save me 10 hour round trip. I have videos and pictures of the condition and I am happy externally. Just worried about it getting here and having issues internally due to lack of use
    if he has been using it that much recently I'm sure engine was you should be good there

I would
    1. change/inspect exh filter.... that will tell the history right there....
    2. service it.... not with certain people on the coast that claim to be jetski mechanics.....
    ( Thank me later,Remember selling jetski wash doesn't make you a mechanic !! )
    part of the service should included inspecting the pump

knowing people who have lived and worked in that region( black water ), get some good underneath shots of the hull , because when they beach them up there its not on sand ..... Mostly rocks.

Waz

if you need any other questions answered just give me a PM
    Last edited by sirbreaksalot; 10-12-2017 at 05:31 PM.

9. +1 by:

what pray tell will looking at an exhaust filter tell you about the history of the ski ?? its either intact or its not. what determination can be made from looking at it ?

the first exhaust filter in my 2011 300 lasted 108 hrs. and currently 80+ hrs on my 310r filter ? what can you tell me about my skis ??

+1
    Is there any way to test ride the ski , that's the best way to tell in the short term if there are any issues with a used ski same with a car or at least running on a flush for 10-15 mins and additionally a compression test those I believe would be best 2 ways to determine the condition though a test ride you can tell a lot more...having the ski all polished and clean means nothing dealers and private owners always want to make a great first impression we've all done that��

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information