1996 Polaris SLX780 compression

We had the 780 out on the water last weekend and ran it out of gas. About 15 minutes after filling it back up it had a loss of power and the motor sounded a little different. Took it back to the garage and did a compression check. Front Cylinder: 150psi, Center 150psi,
    Back 140psi. The water/gas float was sitting on the bottom of bowl, and the plugs seemed fine. Should i be concerned with the compression difference? What should i check next?
    I bought this ski new in 1996 and never did any work to it beside greasing the bearing.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    When you removed the gas cap after running out of fuel, was there a major vacuum present in the fuel tank?

How old are the spark plugs?

Twenty one years without servicing is a long time. The problem with reduced engine power may or may not have anything to do with running out of fuel while riding. Could be a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    When you removed the gas cap after running out of fuel, was there a major vacuum present in the fuel tank?

How old are the spark plugs?

Twenty one years without servicing is a long time. The problem with reduced engine power may or may not have anything to do with running out of fuel while riding. Could be a coincidence.
    it's always under vacuum when i open the gas cap. Don't remember the last time i changed the plugs.

I was thinking of doing the oil delete, and changing the gas lines this winter.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by northman View Post
    I was thinking of doing the oil delete, and changing the gas lines this winter.
    Does this engine still have the original gray Tempo fuel hoses?

Why switch to pre-mixed oil in the gasoline? That will roughly double your oil consumption per tank of fuel.

Have you read through the recommended maintenance and upgrades for the blue Fuji engines? Your engine should already have the upgraded fuel pump, I think.

+1
    The only thing that has slowed my 96 slx down, was when the shaft seal bearing started binding last year...An yes, I bought it new also....

Thread Information