Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Should I consider the SX230 for Miami?

Hey guys, I've been a jet ski/jet boat owner for a long time, but now find myself residing in Miami. There is a varied boat scene here, and I think my 1997 Seadoo Challenger (single engine) is a bit too small. While it's okay for the ICW, anything past 1mi out on open water is just too scary. The 14' hull bobs too much and is too susceptible to take on water. I'm looking to upgrade to the SX230, but not sure if it's very good on the open water. I would use it probably 50% for cruising around and hanging out in the ICW, and 50% for fishing. I am also considering a twin engine fishing boat, like a center console or similar, but worry that it's just not comfortable to be on for long periods, especially if you have more than 2 people. Most fishing boats I see under $20k have only 2-4 legitimate seats. A trip to Bimini or Exumas would be very tiresome on any small boat, but especially if you don't have comfy seats. I love the layout of the 230, and that it has twin engines, but I wonder if the hull would be rough on the open water.

Also, I've fished from my Challenger in the sounds of NC, but wonder if fishing on these boats is too inconvenient.

Another concern is trolling fuel consumption. Does anyone know the fuel consumption of trolling on one of these?

Anyway, if you own one, or have experience with this boat, I'd love to hear your opinions and experiences.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by IDoSeaDoo View Post
    Hey guys, I've been a jet ski/jet boat owner for a long time, but now find myself residing in Miami. There is a varied boat scene here, and I think my 1997 Seadoo Challenger (single engine) is a bit too small. While it's okay for the ICW, anything past 1mi out on open water is just too scary. The 14' hull bobs too much and is too susceptible to take on water. I'm looking to upgrade to the SX230, but not sure if it's very good on the open water. I would use it probably 50% for cruising around and hanging out in the ICW, and 50% for fishing. I am also considering a twin engine fishing boat, like a center console or similar, but worry that it's just not comfortable to be on for long periods, especially if you have more than 2 people. Most fishing boats I see under $20k have only 2-4 legitimate seats. A trip to Bimini or Exumas would be very tiresome on any small boat, but especially if you don't have comfy seats. I love the layout of the 230, and that it has twin engines, but I wonder if the hull would be rough on the open water.

Also, I've fished from my Challenger in the sounds of NC, but wonder if fishing on these boats is too inconvenient.

Another concern is trolling fuel consumption. Does anyone know the fuel consumption of trolling on one of these?

Anyway, if you own one, or have experience with this boat, I'd love to hear your opinions and experiences.

Thanks!
    I would think it would be a huge improvement. I had my AR210 out last week in heavy chop and it did great. I was suprised how well it was on gas. I was out 3 hours and the gauge barely moved off full. I was doing a fair about of limited wake zones, but still I was impressed.

+1
    Thanks for the reply. What are the differences between the SX and AR lines? You ever do any wake boarding on your boat? On my challenger, I found that it really hates to go that intermediate speed. It either falls back into the water, or gets up on plane and hauls ass. You always had to feather it up or down to keep the wake boarder happy.
    Ever fish off your AR?

AR has wake rack. I think that is it. I have only had my boat out once. I probably will only pull a tube with it and cruise. I dont fish and if I did I would look for a center console.

https://www.yamahaboats.com/center-console/190-fsh/

i have a 232 limited 2009 and it handles 2-4 no problem i came back from Galveston one time and the bay was 6+ and it handled it fine but was not fun

+1
    owned an '06 SX 230HO for years.Fine boat,handled to chop relatively well.Mine had the old(mr1)motors,was a tad noisy,but managable.They were cheap when i bought mine(low 30's OTD).Wish i still had it!

+1
    These boats have really come down in price, and seem like a real bargain. How much more silent are the new style motors compared to the MR1's? I feel like MR1 would be more fuel efficient than the new 1.8s. Any data on fuel consumption on these?

+1
    Boattest .com has the fuel comparisons - as I remember about a 10% difference 3.3 MPG cruise vs 3.0 on new 1.8's

From what I have seen, the noise is there on the pre-2015 1.8's. Our 242LS is much quieter than our SeaDoo Challenger with single Merc SportJet 240. That being said, it hums along at 2000rpm cruising the shoreline at a noise level that is very tolerable.

As far as fishing, I can't imagine trying to troll without some form of electric. As the steering, even with thrust vectors is poor at a trolling speed. But as far as waves are concerned, it should be able to handle much bigger waters than our 20ft SeaDoo. We have seen it already fully loaded in 2-3ft chop.

We are obviously not off shore, but my boat has been to Bimini twice by the previous owner! That says alot.

+1
    1 mile out on a boat is too scary?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information