+1

2015 Ultra LX exhaust noise

Probably not a question asked very often - what options are out there to quite down the exhaust noise of my stock Ultra LX (or engine noise in general)? I'm not worried about losing performance, however I'm slightly worried about lower fuel economy. My ski is fully rigged for fishing, and spend a lot of time trolling at idle, but the exhaust noise is starting to drive me nuts, and I have to wonder if it's scaring off fish. comparing it to the noise of my buddies stock FXHO or another buddies GTX isn't even close, you can hardly hear either of these machines at an idle...I have to turn mine off to hold a conversation with them. I recently aquired a 2007 fxho, and noticed it's got another plastic box after the waterbox, which i'd assume has to contribute to lowering the noise - would it be feasible to add one of these to my Ultra? Does that even do what I think it does, or am i asking for problems? Or is there other options? thanks in advance for any input here, it would really help a ton if i could quite this machine down!

Been around for years...seen it all Kawi-Guy's Avatar
    +1
    You'll notice that the spot for a second waterbox is still on all the Ultra models. My 2007 Ultra 250X was a lot quieter than the 2014 Ultra LX that I owned afterward.

I added a second waterbox to the 2014 Ultra LX - It took some crazy rubber hose routing though and I had to cut a few inches off the stock metal exhaust pipe off to make this all work. You'll need more Black radiator hosing to rig these up to work. I had to go to an auto parts store and asked the manager if I could go in the back to dig through all the sizes of their radiator hoses with curved sections to find one that had the correct bends that would slip inside the stock hoses from the Jetski and then onto the Waterbox. I trimmed off the sections I needed and fit them together. Then I hose clamped the angled sections where they joined to make sure it was a good seal.

I also added the rubber piece at the exhaust outlet [exhaust reed valve from a 2007-2008 ultra ] on the back of the ski that helped quiet the ski at idle a great deal.
    God only knows why they had them on the 2007 and 2008 Ultra skis and then stopped putting them on after that.
    There are different shaped versions of this star shaped piece every year so check ebay, it may involve cutting a bit of the rubber off to squeeze the reed valve in under the end cap, as there aren't may threads on the 3 bolts that hold the rubber piece on at the back of the ski.
    With the second waterbox that I purchased (with The hoses on it ) from eBaY and the 'exhaust reed valve' rubber flange it purred like a kitten. I may have lost 1 mph on the top end but the ski was once again quiet.

I recently had a 2009 Ultra LX. On this ski I just added the exhaust reed valve assembly, you can usually buy them with all 3 pieces pieces on Ebay. It did help quiet the ski a bit, especially at idle speeds. Notice the extra ' mat material ' padding that I add under the stock waterbox so it doesn't vibrate or rattle against the hull.

Hope this helps a bit.

Kawi-Guy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0787.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	421605   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0793.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	421606   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0806.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	421607   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0809.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	421608   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0734.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	421609   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0786.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	421610  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ultralxwaterbox.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	421601   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exhaust reed valve.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	421602  

Been around for years...seen it all Kawi-Guy's Avatar
    +1
    Wish I had more pictures of the finished product, this was years ago. The hardest part was the angle of ther hosing coming from the second waterbox and fitting onto that metal exhaust pipe.
    I really didn't want to take one of all the extra hose clamps when I overlapped the hoses , but it worked like a charm and was very quiet afterwards.

+1
    awsome! thank you! this dog's got a bone now.

Thread Information