Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Group View Post
    Hello to everyone,
    I read all the posts of this threat hoping to find an answer but I have not.
    I am looking for a portable GPS that I can download maps that will have the PWC restricted areas marked. The distance from Key Largo to Key West is more than 100 miles and there are plenty of places where I could potentially put my skis in the water. Having said that, Marco Island and he South West coast of Florida is about the same distance from Miami and it becomes a pain to have to spend hours to find maps with the restricted areas, notwithstanding that when you ride you never know if you crossed into the restricted zone.
    So my question is if there is a GPS or App that has maps that get updated and include the PWC restricted zones. We use skis overseas not just for fun riding around within a small area but for island hopping covering distances between islands in the +/- 25 nm and this is what we would like to do in Florida and the Bahamas as well.
    Thanks for all help and replies.
    I have found no gps units that show "no pwc" areas.
    paper charts are the only way i know to get hard boundry lines.
    ocean is 99% open to you , the bay is 50% open (marathon north-ok,,,south-no good)

+1
    Thank you very much KEYZBUM.

+1
    A little late but another trip report

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=274305

Great thread and info, will help with my next trip down to the Keys

+1
    Great Info
    Last edited by L8RBRA; 11-19-2019 at 08:53 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    Sanctuary map :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fknms_map_big.jpg

In contrary, it seems like a jet-propelled PWC is the ideal craft for accessing the Keys shallow-water island-hoping back-country. Well . . . therein is exactly why they are banned. It's not so much the ski, nor the behavior. It's more about what sits on top the ski - "you".

Background info on the wildlife refuges zones in the keys, and a hint to why PWCs are specifically singled-out :

https://nmsfloridakeys.blob.core.win...ountryplan.pdf

If I read that correctly, it seems the main reason PWC's are banned is not so much due to the notorious stereo-typically rowdy and unruly genre, but rather that PWC's can provide ideal transportation to these designated wildlife areas. Let's not mix words, these zones - agree or not - are basically designated as "sanctuary from humans". Therefore, with their shallow draft, speed, no-interference propulsion, and long-distance ability, PWCs pose a counter-intuitive threat to the parks ability to control human access to these areas. Now, if they (Park Services) could legally ban humans, I'm sure they would. Doing so would obviously generate too much push-back. So they instead ban the PWC - and well, the mass-human encroachment problem kinda fixes itself.

Why are motor boats still permitted you say?? Again, we can not ban humans, boats are considered a low-volume reduced capability risk. So while propeller-driven crafts can enter a majority of these zones, the very nature of these shallow conditions pretty much makes boat access (due to the prop) self-limited to the few and narrow deeper channels, aka away from the vast majority of the island habitat.
    Pretty lame.. I knew it was hard to jetski north of the lower keys, did not realize jetskis are banned inside the red lines as well... Yet flats boats are fine.. awful for us skis. Guess I'll have to go get a flats boat that would do more damage if I hit bottom.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-11-02 at 1.57.35 PM.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	211.3 KB 
ID:	455732  
    Last edited by Blazah1080; 11-02-2019 at 02:35 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Link to the original source for that map?

I would like to download it in as high resolution as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post

+1
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ms_map_big.jpg click on the picture if it doesn't automatically give you the high resolution one.

9. +1 by:

+1

Arrow Florida Keys restricted areas: Title 15, Subtitle B,Chapter IX, Subchapter B,Part 922

Maps (like the one above) are cool, yet not that helpful out on the waters, especially if law enforcement entities have you in-question.

I finally found the hard GPS data on these sanctuaries :
    https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...=15:3.1.2.2.13

Not sure how long that link will stay valid, so here is the legal path to the document :
    Title 15, Subtitle B, Chapter IX, Subchapter B, Part 922

Scroll down that large doc, and see the coordinates to the areas.
    Last edited by K447; 11-04-2019 at 09:49 AM.

11. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks for this thread. I have since bought a ski and am planning two trips down in the next year. First one being in 3 weeks. Cant Effin wait.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information