Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks for the info. Due to the hurricane been watching some videos of the area in general. Boy it sure was green, lush and nice before Irma!

Been looking a bit online, and it seems like we may want to stay in one place for just a bit. Been looking at Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge. SO long as they let me launch the Waverunner all will be good. They have decent campsites, and I can easily do some fishing, etc. Also, if Key West is 30 miles away, thats an easy day trip on the waverunner. And then maybe we go to Miami, and tour around that way.

The no PWC in parks thing has me a bit miffed, but thats the way it is.

Thanks for all the info so far.

I havent been able to get ahold of big pine key lodge...funny that..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutchy View Post
    I havent been able to get ahold of big pine key lodge...funny that..
    The eye went directly over Cudjoe, so Big Pine got the worst of the eye wall winds.

Lousy stroke of luck. Hopefully they open soon. No sense in avoiding the area. the best thing I imagine is people like me going there and spending a bit of money. When tourism is your industry its tough to rebuild without tourists!

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    This place will not be back to normal for a Long time.
    I can't say 6 months is enough time, cause it probably won't be.
    I love this place but it is FFed up from 1 end to the other.
    keep your options open and be ready to switch locations if you have too.
    Worst Month In Keys in 10+ years..BOOOOOOoooooooo

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KEYZBUM View Post
    This place will not be back to normal for a Long time.
    I can't say 6 months is enough time, cause it probably won't be.
    I love this place but it is FFed up from 1 end to the other.
    keep your options open and be ready to switch locations if you have too.
    Worst Month In Keys in 10+ years..BOOOOOOoooooooo
    I can't imagine the restaurants are all up and fully stocked either.

How are supplies at the stores? Hell, up here in Melbourne, we still see shortages of diary products.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Nothing but a homedepot Not stocked-tiny store normally and a publix, Stocked but tiny also,,
    A few bars n grills here and there.
    I just got the "stop water boil notice"..
    Been bouncing between Keys and South Partick Island and milk has been tough and still have 4 way lights out.
    Kinda depressing and STINKS to all Hell.
    Heading back up to SPIsland tonight cause I need a break and kinda getting addicted to a pizza place I found in gas station - A true Tony From Arthur Ave Bronx..

7. +1 by:

Just the level of awfulness I see in the videos is insane. Boats all over the place...every tree is brown, debris everywhere. Must be brutal to those who live there. I cant imagine

+1

GPS with PWC restricted areas.

Hello to everyone,
    I read all the posts of this threat hoping to find an answer but I have not.
    I am looking for a portable GPS that I can download maps that will have the PWC restricted areas marked. The distance from Key Largo to Key West is more than 100 miles and there are plenty of places where I could potentially put my skis in the water. Having said that, Marco Island and he South West coast of Florida is about the same distance from Miami and it becomes a pain to have to spend hours to find maps with the restricted areas, notwithstanding that when you ride you never know if you crossed into the restricted zone.
    So my question is if there is a GPS or App that has maps that get updated and include the PWC restricted zones. We use skis overseas not just for fun riding around within a small area but for island hopping covering distances between islands in the +/- 25 nm and this is what we would like to do in Florida and the Bahamas as well.
    Thanks for all help and replies.

10. +1 by:

+1
    I imagine it would vary on the capabilities of the GPS. I don't think my Garmin GPS78SC has the ability to mark off entire "zones".

Here's a map of the restricted areas:
    https://www.fws.gov/nationalkeydeer/...htearsheet.pdf

The restricted areas start mostly south/west on the "gulf side" of Marathon. If you stay on the Atlantic ocean side of the islands, you're generally good to go.

This site lists PWC "trails" including Marathon to Key West:

https://www.pwctrailfinder.com/florida

12. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Group View Post
    . . . . We use skis overseas not just for fun riding around within a small area but for island hopping covering distances between islands in the +/- 25 nm and this is what we would like to do in Florida and the Bahamas as well.
    Thanks for all help and replies.
    As discussed, “Island hopping” (aka easy human access) to the hundreds of back-country islands, bars, and spits is the main reason the PWC’s are not welcomed. While they probably rather ban people out-right, that would never pass into law, so they ban the vehicle that offers people unfettered access just the same.

As far as entering shapes and overlays . . . my Garmin 44DV (and I am not recommending this specific unit for your purpose nor is it portable) has the capability to support user-created “boundaries”. These are essentially geometric shapes one can enter into the unit, for the very purpose you desire. Can be entered in manually - which is tedious. Or use something like Garmin’s “HomePort” software to create first Tracks by clicking points onto the map. These Tracks can be imported to the unit and converted to Boundaries. If your unit does not have Boundaries feature, you could just leave them as imported tracks, giving the track line a specific assign color.

That all said, and while the technological capability exists in these GPS devices …. the real problem comes back to the "data”, aka the lat/lon numbers. Aside from online pdf’s and images, I have not been able to find hard numbers from the governments, and I suspect this might be because the areas are not defined as such in the written laws - rather by land correlation - which means whether you are "in" violation or not can be very subjective on whom initiates the stop/inspection.
    Last edited by TimeBandit; 11-22-2018 at 11:38 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information