Question '97 Polaris SLTX FUEL LINES Dimensions, Manual & Choke mystery?

Hey all, I tried to find exact info, so I apologize if it's duplicate.

I have the dreaded Tempo lines still in the ski. She's in good shape, considering 20 years old. Only 33 hours on her. Came from AZ, not sure if they use ethanol like we do in CA. Fires right up, but I'm pulling those lines. Carbs look clean, surprisingly.
    I have no manual, so flying blind for sure.
    What is the diameter for the fuel lines? I'm guessing 1/4"
    Also, how much would I need? I can't find anything that states the feet. I'll replace all from tank to carbs & burn the Tempo lines in effigy. I might even dance around them.

Ran it for a short spell to test. The choke facing driver, is that choke on or off?
    I'm assuming ON as when I pushed it towards the front of the ski, she died immediately and wouldn't start. Point it at the driver and starts right up again.

I'd like to throw a finger trigger lever on her as the thumb deal is crap! Can I getaway with just the trigger or will I need a longer throttle cable, etc?

I have no clue if the ignition update was installed in her. I'm confident w/out taking the stator apart, I can't tell, correct?
    She's still running and I don't have $600 or excuse me, $599.95.

thank you in advance.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Does my red engine Polaris have original ignition or updated?

If you open the electrical box the CDI part number indicates which version. Hand written number supersedes the factory number, if both are visible. Sometimes the handwritten number is on the back side of CDI module.

Often only the last three digits of the revised part number were handwritten. So 447 handwritten on the CDI is actually 4010447.

Look up the part number to check whether CDI is original or updated.

For red engines, 1996-1999, here is a quick way to check which ignition system is installed. This assumes the engine is currently able to start and run normally.

Is there a thin black wire going from electrical box to battery? If no, then probably updated ignition.

If thin black wire at battery, disconnect it. Does engine start and run? If yes, updated ignition. If no, original ignition.
    Last edited by K447; 09-06-2017 at 07:19 PM.

+1
    1/4 inch black rubber fuel line from any auto parts store would be fine. Some folks will say you need to get genuine marine grade fuel line, I am comfortable not having it. I don't know exactly what footage you will need but if you are replacing everything, including the lines on the carbs themselves, I'd start with 15 ft. Pushing the choke lever to the left closes the choke, to the right opens it. I have both UMI and KVPI finger throttles, they fit without a new throttle cable, but you probably need to screw the adjuster almost all the way out. Slippery has a finger throttle with 3 different cable barrel positions, if I buy another throttle, I'm trying a Slippery for possibly more cable adjustment. Pop your e-box open and look at the part number on the CDI, most updated CDIs have the part #4010447 hand written on the CDI in white or yellow paint marker. If you see that part # on the CDI, you have been updated, I don't think it would even run with an updated CDI and non-updated stator or vice-versa. Also check the oil tank retaining strap screws, they have a tendency to loosen and crack the gas tank at the brass inserts. Not fun. Great boat though, I have two, and now everybody in my group only wants to ride those.

Quote Originally Posted by andrea1m View Post
    Hey all, I tried to find exact info, so I apologize if it's duplicate.

I have the dreaded Tempo lines still in the ski. She's in good shape, considering 20 years old. Only 33 hours on her. Came from AZ, not sure if they use ethanol like we do in CA. Fires right up, but I'm pulling those lines. Carbs look clean, surprisingly.
    I have no manual, so flying blind for sure.
    What is the diameter for the fuel lines? I'm guessing 1/4"
    Also, how much would I need? I can't find anything that states the feet. I'll replace all from tank to carbs & burn the Tempo lines in effigy. I might even dance around them.

Ran it for a short spell to test. The choke facing driver, is that choke on or off?
    I'm assuming ON as when I pushed it towards the front of the ski, she died immediately and wouldn't start. Point it at the driver and starts right up again.

I'd like to throw a finger trigger lever on her as the thumb deal is crap! Can I getaway with just the trigger or will I need a longer throttle cable, etc?

I have no clue if the ignition update was installed in her. I'm confident w/out taking the stator apart, I can't tell, correct?
    She's still running and I don't have $600 or excuse me, $599.95.

thank you in advance.

Pisser. Yes to the thin. No to starting when disconnected.

Quick hijack for a thank you to k447, again, I'll be checking my 1997 tomorrow.

Very timely post, as my throttle lever snapped it's top half toward the end of my vacation last week, and I was able to keep it together for the rest of the trip, but was thinking of going with a finger throttle for the repair. Thanks onedollar for the suggestions.

I replaced all of my lines with SBT lines, they were relatively cheap if you're putting in an order anyway, they are clear so you can see what is going on with fuel delivery, and I agree that fuel line for the most part is fuel line, however the "marine" line typically meets higher standards for abrasion resistance, thickness, etc, and will be marked as such with USCG ratings. If you ever had a fire or damages from a fuel issue with injuries, you better believe the other guy's lawyer is gonna check that, and if it is found to not be USCG approved line, insurance does not have to pay. 99.99999 percent chance nothing will ever happen.... But I am not one to tell someone else what to do, I've cut the corners where I felt appropriate here and there.

I ordered 20 feet of line, which they sent me in 2 10' lengths (good thing I didn't need a solid 20' run, I would have been less than pleased...). I ended up using probably about 14 feet of it. I did not change out the vent lines, just the feed and return lines. I think....

And now that I think about it, I do not recall the SBT lines being marked as USCG approved...... hmmmmm...........

+1
    For the price SBT sells their fuel line for, I very much doubt it is USCG approved and there is no mention of USCG on their website. Nothing against anyone here, SBT, twoballscrewball or otherwise, don't want to start any angry discussion but I've always found that the plain black rubber line vastly outlasts any clear fuel line, no matter the original source.

Quote Originally Posted by twoballscrewball View Post
    Very timely post, as my throttle lever snapped it's top half toward the end of my vacation last week, and I was able to keep it together for the rest of the trip, but was thinking of going with a finger throttle for the repair. Thanks onedollar for the suggestions.

I replaced all of my lines with SBT lines, they were relatively cheap if you're putting in an order anyway, they are clear so you can see what is going on with fuel delivery, and I agree that fuel line for the most part is fuel line, however the "marine" line typically meets higher standards for abrasion resistance, thickness, etc, and will be marked as such with USCG ratings. If you ever had a fire or damages from a fuel issue with injuries, you better believe the other guy's lawyer is gonna check that, and if it is found to not be USCG approved line, insurance does not have to pay. 99.99999 percent chance nothing will ever happen.... But I am not one to tell someone else what to do, I've cut the corners where I felt appropriate here and there.

I ordered 20 feet of line, which they sent me in 2 10' lengths (good thing I didn't need a solid 20' run, I would have been less than pleased...). I ended up using probably about 14 feet of it. I did not change out the vent lines, just the feed and return lines. I think....

And now that I think about it, I do not recall the SBT lines being marked as USCG approved...... hmmmmm...........

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by twoballscrewball View Post
    ... my throttle lever snapped ...
    I have carbon fibre throttle levers available.

And one OEM

Great advise. Thank you so much.

Very helpful @onedollar

Thread Information