Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    +1
    I can't really believe that Yamaha do not give a spec or quantity of grease to put into the housing........I always put 7 grams a year in.....this is left over from when they did give a quantity to put in!

The secret is to put it in extremely slowly.....then it will flow out past the seals when it is full. I have been doing it this way for 12 years now........never had a problem with either blowing a seal out or the bearing failing!

+1
    Another couple tips:

Add your grease after getting home from a ride when the grease in the hose is nice & warm. It'll be easier to pump & will be less likely to pop the seal while going into the housing when it's warm & less viscous. Also, running the ski while you pump it in aint a bad idea. The spinning bearing will help evenly distribute it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    You can also steal the remote grease zerk setup from GPRs and early FX, FZ

This is from an 09 FZ into a 16 FZ
    That's a very tidy install, well done.

May i ask, do you have the part number for the extra flush fitting and bracket? i've looked and i'm not sure if there's a complete set as well as individual parts, can you help by telling me what i need please?
    Cheers, and sorry for the thread jack

Where is this grease fitting on the new fx svho?

+1
    Nice mod-ironically, the older models had that extension(pre sho's). I was told that's a sealed bearing? not sure...

+1
    Couple Questions:

When I remove the factory zerc fitting on that intermediate housing (so that I can install that 10 61L-45378-00-00 NIPPLE, HOSE in its place) , is grease going to go everywhere because its pressurized?

Also, Do you think with these exact parts, this will work on my '18 FX SVHO Cruiser? Looks like a nice setup. Definitely easier than having to remove that electrical box everytime you need to refill with grease. How many pumps would you recommend to start off with, since you have to fill the tube as well?

+1
    No grease will leak out. Especially if you've ridden the ski after greasing, there's no real pressure and not that much with fresh grease.

Those parts should be fine. Same grease fitting threads. I would pre-fill the tube before before connecting.

+1
    Good morning K447, all; hope everyone’s season is going Aces!

Sorta resurrecting this thread (probably oughta be a sticky?) since it strikes me as something EVERY VXR/GP owner oughta be aware of (but, likely are not!).

I’m a gonna roll my sleeves up and get this done ASAP after I pull all our boats off the water end of this season but, my head is kinda swimming going back over this thread (and what appears to be two directions I can go in) as I am learning as I go, mechanically. (Time to humble up: unlike apparently most of y’all, just about everything I do on these skis, besides oil and sparks, is “first time” for me, my learning curve is that steep). Anyway, K447, since your method seems to be spelled out the most step-by-step that’s the route I am going to take (unless the other route would definitely be easier and safer for a newb such as myself?)

With that in mind, I have a 2018 VXR with just about 50-hours in it (will likely be 60-65 by season’s end) and I have the following questions, BEFORE I place any orders for parts:

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    With hindsight, next time I would try the Alemite 51942
    1/4”-28 Taper Thread (SAE-LT)(m)
    1/8” NPTF(f)
    http://www.alemite.com/catalog/detai...ories_straight
    1) Just so I am clear: will that Alemite 51942 “screw right in” so that I do not have to tap any new threads? I’m in awe you pulled that off (“risk of some aluminum chips falling inside,” etc.); and, tapping new threads is NOT something I want to do for the first time (or ever, for that matter) on my VXR!

99.9% sure this is it, I am getting ready to order this part: http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...NIPPLE%2C+HOSE

I recommend using a street elbow 90 degree adapter to connect the hose to the grease fitting.
    1/8" NPT male to 1/8" NPT female, right angle 90. ...

You want dimension 'A' to be as small as possible. There is very little clearance to the mid-wall and you need to be able to turn the fitting to screw it into the bearing housing. ...

The 90 degree turn is needed to clear the electrical panel, which has a molded bulge in the back, inconveniently right above the grease fitting.
    2) Again, I just want to double check, does this appear it is the ticket?

Anderson Metals Brass Pipe Fitting, 90 Degree Barstock Street Elbow, 1/8" Male Pipe x 1/8" Female Pipe

https://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Meta...gateway&sr=8-3

Some websites show mechanical drawings with dimensions of the different fittings but, for the most part, I am going by comparing photos on Amazon, SummitRacing, etc. Not ideal, for sure.

I used an 18 inch long flexible hose, sold for use with grease guns. 1/8" NPT male on both ends.
    3) Either one of these acceptable? (Or, a more acceptable substitute over the other, for the hose you went with? (I am ASSuming pressure ratings are not an issue in this application; nor are “spring guards”):

Carbyne Grease Flex Hose, 18 inch, 1/8 inch NPT Threads

https://www.amazon.com/Carbyne-Greas...e%2C181&sr=8-5

Dr.Lube 18 Inch Grease Gun Flex Hose With Spring Guard 6000 PSI, GHP18S01

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Lube-Greas...cm_wl_huc_item

On the upper end of the hose I installed a female to female 1/8" NPT coupler.
    4) ASSuming this hits that mark (?)
    Anderson Metals Brass Pipe Fitting, Coupling, 1/8" x 1/8" Female Pipe

https://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Meta...cm_wl_huc_item

Angled grease fitting should make it easier to attach grease gun with the seat base reinstalled.
    5) 1/8” NPT, correct? Will these fit, correctly? (I am not having any difficulty finding “angled grease zerk fittings” but, am not finding exactly what you have pictured). I definitely want to go with stainless steel wherever I can and, if not, brass ...
    Uxcell a18071000ux0111 Grease Nipple 4 Pack

https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-a18071000ux0111-Grease-Nipple-Pack/dp/B07GTR984H/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=45+degree+angle+grease+fitting +1%2F8”&qid=1564933784&s=gateway&sr=8-4

Thanks for starting this thread (mega!) and for the hand-holding but, hopefully my putting together another shopping list will assist other forum members, down the line!

PS - 6) Reference removing the front cover to the electrical box; I am not near my VXR at the moment but, once I remove that cover and leave it off, am I increasing my chances of a short or anything, if and when water gets into that area, doing any rough riding, flipping the craft, or anything?

+1
    Reference Question # 5 - Sorry, not sure what happened but, here should be a "live" link to the:

Uxcell a18071000ux0111 Grease Nipple 4 Pack

https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-a18071...cm_wl_huc_item

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    All those Amazon parts seem correct or close enough.

Tip: Before assembly, inspect each threaded part to ensure no stray metal cuttings are present that could contaminate the grease.

I have not done another Yamaha with this method myself since my original two. I have had no issues so far with the two intermediate bearings I did (and documented in this thread), and your post reminded me that I perhaps it is time to add some more grease to them.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	116259C9-9153-4A51-A8D6-BEB26038B608.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	451773  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information