Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

+1
    the correct definition for cavitation is this, it is simply a low pressure situation caused by the impeller moving too fast through the water, when this happens, the boiling point of the water lowers enough to where it will start boiling at room temperature.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    West Systems epoxy has been poured into all four casting voids on the back side of the GP1800 SVHO jet pump transom plate.

I added some glass microfibres to stiffen the mixture and perhaps add some strength. Probably not needed, but it is in there. Mixture was a pourable semi-liquid to minimize trapped air pockets.

Two curved voids and two round hollows.

Poured just enough mixed epoxy into each void to bring it close to level with the metal surface, but made sure the epoxy level did not come up above the surface. When reinstalled it is important that the transom plate be able to sit fully flush against the hull.

Wipe away all drippings and epoxy smears. When it hardens you want a totally flat metal surface.
    Was the 1 quart of 105 and 7oz of 206 enough to fill the voids of the stock intake grate? Looking to fill the voids this route instead of a pump kit but donít want to be short in the middle of the project. Thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dg1148 View Post
    Was the 1 quart of 105 and 7oz of 206 enough to fill the voids of the stock intake grate? Looking to fill the voids this route instead of a pump kit but don’t want to be short in the middle of the project. Thanks.
    Use::: Amazing casting resin, order 3 16 oz kits. works great and is cheaper about $45 on Amazon. I used it on my riva grate to fill all the voids, it's easily sanded for clearance if needed. Just beware it does setup pretty quick, also I used water to measure the amount to mix for the big area

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dg1148 View Post
    Was the 1 quart of 105 and 7oz of 206 enough to fill the voids of the stock intake grate?

Looking to fill the voids this route instead of a pump kit but donít want to be short in the middle of the project. ...
    I did not fill the intake grate voids entirely with solid epoxy. I cut first dense foam blocks to rough shape and pushed them into each void, leaving about an inch of void to be filled with the liquid epoxy. The foam blocks must be a friction fit into the voids, otherwise it can try to float up when the epoxy is poured in.

After pouring the epoxy into the remaining void spaces there was bubbling as the small pockets of trapped air were displaced by the liquid epoxy. Eventually the bubbling settles down. Popped the surface bubbles with a toothpick. The thicker you mix the epoxy, the longer it will take for the air bubbles to work their way up.

+1
    Bumping up an old thread sorry. Just curious if anyone has some words of wisdom for taking off the old sealant? Acetone and some scraping? How clean did you get it before applying new sealant and bolting it on?

Thanks

+1
    Scrape with a razor blade and clean with acetone to get all of the old sealant off.

+1
    Anyone use the paddle wheel thru hull for a dedicated cooling line?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Salt View Post
    Anyone use the paddle wheel thru hull for a dedicated cooling line?
    It's on the other side is the pump from where the filter is right?

+1
    No they are on the same side

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BLASTER 1 View Post
    Use::: Amazing casting resin, order 3 16 oz kits. works great and is cheaper about $45 on Amazon. I used it on my riva grate to fill all the voids, it's easily sanded for clearance if needed. Just beware it does setup pretty quick, also I used water to measure the amount to mix for the big area

You could also also use polyester resin from any auto parts store. It’s cheap and will do the job just fine.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information