Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Polaris Genesis Reverse Motor Removal

I have a 2002 Genesis with a bad reverse motor. I'm having trouble removing it. I removed the four bolts from the jet pump area, the reverse motor is lose, but wont come out. I still have the flat metal "bar" attached to the bottom of the motor shaft. I think maybe that is holding me up. I cant get the "bar" off. The motor is stuck in the "down" position. It feels like there is an allen screw holding the bar to the motor shaft. Unfortunately for me, the allen screw head is facing forward on the ski and its very difficult to get an allen wrench on it. Does anyone have a tip on how to remove the reverse motor?
    Also, I have a 2001 Genesis (parts ski) here. It has the old style reverse motor that is mounted forward on the left side of the motor. Is it possible to pull this reverse motor off the metal bracket and use it on the 2002 Genesis? Thanks

+1
    After doing a little more research it looks like what I though was an allen screw is actually a "spring pin" It looks like i can take a nail or something and just push it through. It still seems like a hassle. Is it possible to remove the reverse motor with the connecting bar still attached? Thanks

+1
    Have you checked the service manual? (I haven't yet, lol)

+1
    I looked really quick but didn't see anything about removing the reverse motor.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    welcome to pain in the ass town.

I recall having to cut some foam on some polaris reverse motor job some time ago.

Polaris, just another way to spell pain....

+1
    I don't mind cutting foam. But do I have to remove the flat connector bar?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Yeah don't jab yourself with the high tech cotter pin

+1
    Update on the reverse motor job- Start on exterior of ski by the jet pump. Leave the four mounting bolts in place. Take a hammer and nail or punch and tap out the small spring pin from the reverse motor shaft. That will let you get the connecting bar etc out of the way. Once the reverse motor shaft is free of all connections you can remove the four mountings bolts from the exterior.
    Now inside the ski. I took a drywall knife and removed a 5" piece of styrofoam from right above the reverse motor. The reverse motor housing is still siliconed in place. Take a putty knife and pop it lose. The motor will now come out. You can the install the new moter in reverse order. However, I did something different....
    After getting the broken motor out, I found out that the reverse motors are going for $250 on eBay. That's a lot for a used motor, so I decided to modify the ski and use a reverse motor set up from a 2001 Genesis. I have a 2001 Genesis part ski here, so the parts were free. In 2001 the reverse motor is mounted on the left side of the engine. I took the entire reverse motor, bracket, cable etc from the 2001 and put it in the 2002. I had to drill a 9/16" hole through the hull to get the cable though. I also had to cut the electrical plug connection and splice on the one from the 02 motor as they used a different connection.
    This job was not that difficult to do. I did have to reinstall the original broken reverse motor. I put silicone on it and bolted it back in place to cover up the 2.5" hole in the hull. The "new" setup is working good. I attached a pic of the old motor and the reverse cable that is not normally there. You can find a 2001 reverse motor for $25 on eBay.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	421216  
    Last edited by Harsax13; 09-11-2017 at 04:16 PM.

9. +1 by:

Sorry to necro a thread, but wanted to say thanks for this, I have been banging my head against the wall all week trying to figure out how to remove this motor. This saved me a day of misery lol. I got very lucky and found a brand new reverse motor in the front storage bin, so the previous owner knew it didn't work (and didn't tell me lol) but didn't know how to fix it. At least now I can finish this up today and get it on the water while there is still warmth left in the season.

2003 Genesis Reverse motor removal

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    welcome to pain in the ass town.

I recall having to cut some foam on some polaris reverse motor job some time ago.

Polaris, just another way to spell pain....

So I have the linkage disconnected and the 4 bolts hold the motor assembly out. Used a putty knife to break the RTV seal and I cut a bunch of the foam out of the way but I still can't lift the motor up far enough to get the motor shaft to clear the opening. I tried pulling straight up and pulling up on the front of the motor assy. I am not even close to getting the shaft to clear. I was pumped because all the other steps were easy but I get down to the final step and I am stuck. Do I need to try and unscrew the cover on the motor assembly and remove that first?

Any removal trick suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Sledman1; 10-22-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information