Trixx Steering play problem

Dear Friends,

I purchased a 2017 trixx brand new and it has only 6 hours on it now...
    Recently, steering developed a play when held straight, as if experienced on motorcycles or bicycles with worn steering head bearings.
    In fully turned positions, both right or left, there is no problem.
    I am thinking of checking bushes but suspect loose connection between main steering column and upper aluminum part (I assume they are seperate parts)
    Any ideas?

This has been touched on in other threads but it sounds like a common and inevitable problem. I believe that one user made mention of doing something with the bushings but i wasn't too sure of the process. With that being said i have a trixx and i have the same problem i ride with the bars down all the way all the time now.

+1
    Mine has moved forward and backward since new. I like to ride 90% standing up and because it is 3 inches higher then the standard spark I can. But I would like to raise it another inch or two but like cimilljm posted I dont for fear of putting extra pressure on it and causing problems so I keep it down. Its a shame really because otherwise its an awesome ski and I have barely touched my other two this summer.

The good news I have about 70 hours on it and it has not got worse.

For the guys that have installed the RIVA or WORX steering does it eliminate the "play" and although not adjustable on the fly can you set to a desired height when installing it?

I have the Riva steering.
    No you cant set it at different heights.
    And yes, it does get a little bit of play. But I replace the steering bushings once a year... (twice now)...I'll do it again after this season....ts not too hard....

A little bit of play to me is about a 1/16 or less, at the bars. But Im picky

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDEH2O View Post
    I have the Riva steering.
    No you cant set it at different heights.
    And yes, it does get a little bit of play. But I replace the steering bushings once a year... (twice now)...I'll do it again after this season....ts not too hard....

A little bit of play to me is about a 1/16 or less, at the bars. But Im picky
    Thanks I have been trying to find this info for a long time. I guess the play is in the design.

Question...whats the point of the aftermarket steering that cost a bundle if it isnt sturdy? and still has play? and you still have to replace bushings?

How many hours before I start thinking about replacing the bushings?

+1
    Every time you purchase a first year model there is always bound to be issues. I have mentioned it on the forum but I will mention it again....My 2014 spark with 58 hrs on it had the steering recal (bars cracked), pump bearings toasted at 25 hrs, and this past summer I needed the entire crank shaft replaced. The ski was down for 2 months this summer and sat at the dealer.. Also for anyone saying warranty is a waste, I have had over $3000 in warranty work done since new, and BEST only cost me $500. Dumping this heaping pile of sh*t end of next season and get something left over.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbs44 View Post
    Thanks I have been trying to find this info for a long time. I guess the play is in the design.

Question...whats the point of the aftermarket steering that cost a bundle if it isnt sturdy? and still has play? and you still have to replace bushings?

How many hours before I start thinking about replacing the bushings?
    Well, the Riva steering is bullet proof!!! When Earth gets whacked by an asteroid and completely vaporizes....The Riva steering will be the only thing still orbiting the Sun !!
    The plastic bushings (on the Spark online parts fish) are $22 for both upper and lower. They are called wear rings, in the steering photo.
    Replace them when you feel they need it...
    Even a brand new Spark could have a teeny bit of play from the start. Me, I'm super picky...I don't go by hours. I replace when it starts to bug me.

The Riva steering is so stout that I fear it is putting all the stress where the front air intake arms meet the deck? My bolts are coming loose in that area now.
    I'm about to do the "end of season go through". I deal with that then....along with mounting the Worx intake/rideplate I have...and new pump wear ring, Riva exhaust I don't have yet. AND! maybe that 701 industries manual trim system!!
    Plus all the regulars....oil change, bushing change, sparkplug change, etc.

@xplayer2885
    Feel for ya! I know a few guys with 14's and no problems with theirs....yet

+1
    @RIDEH2O,

I have replaced 2 center consoles on my spark, mainly due to my riding style. The one I have now is for the 17' spark and added the trixx steering. But to fix my/your problem with the stress on the arms, I used liquid JB weld after I bolted it on with a washer and nut underneath. It has not moved or put a ton of stress on anything else. Almost one year of hard riding this way... Hope this helps..Oh I also but bolts with washers on the 2 OEM screws inside glove box...

Quote Originally Posted by RIDEH2O View Post
    Well, the Riva steering is bullet proof!!! When Earth gets whacked by an asteroid and completely vaporizes....The Riva steering will be the only thing still orbiting the Sun !!
    The plastic bushings (on the Spark online parts fish) are $22 for both upper and lower. They are called wear rings, in the steering photo.
    Replace them when you feel they need it...
    Even a brand new Spark could have a teeny bit of play from the start. Me, I'm super picky...I don't go by hours. I replace when it starts to bug me.

The Riva steering is so stout that I fear it is putting all the stress where the front air intake arms meet the deck? My bolts are coming loose in that area now.
    I'm about to do the "end of season go through". I deal with that then....along with mounting the Worx intake/rideplate I have...and new pump wear ring, Riva exhaust I don't have yet. AND! maybe that 701 industries manual trim system!!
    Plus all the regulars....oil change, bushing change, sparkplug change, etc.

@xplayer2885
    Feel for ya! I know a few guys with 14's and no problems with theirs....yet

Quote Originally Posted by xplayer2885 View Post
    Every time you purchase a first year model there is always bound to be issues. I have mentioned it on the forum but I will mention it again....My 2014 spark with 58 hrs on it had the steering recal (bars cracked), pump bearings toasted at 25 hrs, and this past summer I needed the entire crank shaft replaced. The ski was down for 2 months this summer and sat at the dealer.. Also for anyone saying warranty is a waste, I have had over $3000 in warranty work done since new, and BEST only cost me $500. Dumping this heaping pile of sh*t end of next season and get something left over.
    I hear ya man. After suffering broken handlebars a few weeks ago, I am thinking the same thing. Problem is, there is nothing else out there for 5 grand.

Thread Information