Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    +1
    Why did you care about your ski so much, no insurance? I mean I get it but you could of lost your life trying to save it. Once that ski rolled with the cap open it was game over. Also after a day upside down in the salt water it would be a total lose anyways. Glad to here you're alive and well, hopefully you kissed the ground when you got to shore. This story could of ended differently but the main thing is you're alive.

2. +1 by:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    "something" happens in the mind that affects judgement and decision making from an outsiders point of view.

I've seen it quite a few times when dealing with sinkage,

Even against my very best and sincere advice to walk away, people want to go ahead with repairs on sunken shizz that in the end costs more then a replacement...and these people are in no danger at all. Who spends the book value of their ski fixing it?

I would say that being on a boat or ski that is imminent danger is pretty unique in my "feelings I hate" book..right next to the feeling of a rear wheel skid on a motorcycle. Oh yeah, let me add being caught in 25knot winds in the open on a under powered houseboat is in that class too......

This one turned out OK, everything considered. I could write a novel on each of the dozen different variations on an outcome, not all of them peachy.

There's inherent risk running on your reserve and rough water is a real force multiplier.

the dangling chance of recovering the asset is disappointing at best.

People will always act irrationally when their life is in danger. My take is that the assets somehow reduces the perceived level of danger.

(indigent) HOW many times will we see airline accidents where people are going down the slides with their carry on items

Here's a great example of the effect.

The plane in this video has crashed...while there is a fire burning and everybody is told to get off the plane now, they feel they have enough time to grab their belongings.

how on earth can that behavior be justified?

With a bigger team and a better emergency plan, it's doubtful that this event will be repeated.

Now, let's say on the other hand you got stung by a jellyfish or bitten by a marine whatever. What's the survival plan?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mudslanger View Post
    Already bought the spot and garmin for my other skis.
    Garmin? what model?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
    Why did you care about your ski so much, no insurance? I mean I get it but you could of lost your life trying to save it. Once that ski rolled with the cap open it was game over. Also after a day upside down in the salt water it would be a total lose anyways. Glad to here you're alive and well, hopefully you kissed the ground when you got to shore. This story could of ended differently but the main thing is you're alive.
    ok I'll bite. Some people don't understand and cant but when they came out in 2009 I wanted one. I have built so many broken jet skis for people and bought junk ones rebuilt and sold them for years. There are no telling how many 951 and gprs I have built. But the most fun ski I have ever owned was a 2000 gpr and I still own that one and can get on it tomorrow and ride it if it weren't so cold here. But since they came out I started saving money to buy that ski from selling skis I had bought broken and traded for. In 2013 I drove about an hour and half to pickup that ski and paid cash for it. Yes it has sentimental value yes it had insurance on it yes it had a ton of custom stuff on it and yes it had a lot of my personal belongings on it. And yes it is probably messed up but I have taken skis completely apart and changed every bolt and cable on them. I've repaired holes in the hull you can put your fist into so it being messed up doesn't scare me. I'm old enough to know my limits and I know there was a reason that a yacht just happen to be on the exact same course as I was. I made a list if IF's that I could have done differently. I still would like to have it back. IF

6. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Garmin? what model?
    I have the new Garmin Inreach Explorer +. You can send and receive text using the iridium satellite network. It has live gps navigation and tracking. It does not use cell towers but can pair with my cell phone. It has live unlimited texting but you have to have that plan.

+1

The morning we left

I thought I would post these pics of the morning we set out for Bimini. These are the pics I took that morning at crandon bay marina and the last pics I have of my ski.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7192.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	425648   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7193.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	425647   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7195.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	425649   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7201.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	425650   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7203.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	425651   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7204.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	425652  

9. +1 by:

+1
    I have the new Garmin Inreach Explorer +. You can send and receive text using the iridium satellite network. It has live gps navigation and tracking. It does not use cell towers but can pair with my cell phone. It has live unlimited texting but you have to have that plan.
    The Iridium satellite system used by Garmin inReach is cool and the Explorer unit looks competent. But it is human operated, not meant to be mounted and left attached to the watercraft 24/7.

The Spot Trace is specifically for tracking equipment, not people. No SOS and such, Spot Trace just reports where the equipment is currently located, and whether it is moving.

Spot has the Gen 3 product that are intended for human operation, similar to the Garmin inReach SE+

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The Iridium satellite system used by Garmin inReach is cool and the Explorer unit looks competent. But it is human operated, not meant to be mounted and left attached to the watercraft 24/7.

The Spot Trace is specifically for tracking equipment, not people. No SOS and such, Spot Trace just reports where the equipment is currently located, and whether it is moving.

Spot has the Gen 3 product that are intended for human operation, similar to the Garmin inReach SE+
    I have the spot gen3 also. Was thinking about taking it back the programming is to expensive. I will have to research the spot trace.

+1

Arrow Spot Trace, do not use the special 12 volt to USB power cable

I have the spot gen3 also. Was thinking about taking it back the programming is to expensive.

I will have to research the spot trace.
    For anyone considering the Spot Trace, do not bother with the special USB cable that powers the Spot Trace from 12 volts. The (rather expensive) USB power cable sold for the Spot Trace increases parasitic power consumption by a huge factor.

In my tests (going from memory here) using the 12 volt to USB adapter cable from Spot will consume about 1 Amp-hour every two to three days, drawn from the 12 volt battery. That will significantly drain a 19 Amp-hour watercraft battery in a mere month or so.

The special USB power cable itself consumes about 20 ( again, going from memory) milliamperes continuously, [I]even when not actually connected to the Spot Trace[I]. In addition, the continuous activation of the USB port on the Spot Trace unit further increases the parasitic current drain.

Just install fresh AAA batteries into your Spot Trace (I use reputable brand Lithium AAA) and it will run for months. Keep the waterproof cap in place on the Spot Trace USB port.

When the AAA batteries eventually weaken the Spot Trace will send a special ‘low battery’ message. It will continue to operate for a few days, perhaps a couple of weeks, after the low battery alert first occurs. I just got my first Low Battery message last week, and I last put fresh Lithium batteries into the units back in May or June of this year.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
    Why did you care about your ski so much, no insurance?
    A note about insurance: If your policy is like mine, you are not covered while in The Bahamas. Although the coverage is for mileage from shore that includes The Bahamas, it is specifically excluded. There is a different policy that covers The Bahamas, but that policy is not available for PWCs.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread Information