Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    With proper prep towing isn’t that big of a deal with experienced captains at the helm

You need shock absorbing rigging for sure think of it like a giant bungee cord that keeps the bow ring from tearing out in heavy seas

I’ve towed a few skis during heavy weather here when I kept my boat at the marina

Bow attachments are not study enough after years of trailering to be reliable

a second safety line is advised in general

Beefing it with a metal backing plate helps keep things under control

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mudslanger View Post
    Ok so some have asked me about a lot of details about my trip so I'm going to post as much as I can tonight.
    On July 29 I got up at 4:30 am heading to Miami to meet up with my buddy to cross over early the next morning. The plan was to sleep in the truck get up on the 30th but my buddy had family trouble and couldn't leave so I ended up sleeping in my truck 2 nights the 29th and 30th my buddy drove all night and got to the marina around 7 am on the 31th. I ended up showering at the marina and we headed out around 8am the weather was awesome. Not knowing about the tropical storm coming our way we headed out both skis had gps we stayed together for the most but for some reason he started pulling away from me slightly north but I could always see him. So I stayed dead on course I could see him turn straight south like he was going to intercept me. Then it started clouding up and the wind started blowing north east toward Freeport we were about half way. It went from seeing him to zero visibility fast then I lost all sight of him. I knew I couldn't turn back because the wind and waves were pushing me toward Bimini. I knew the best thing I could do was stay on course and to push toward bimini as fast as I could. My buddy on the other hand did turn around at some point and ended up running out of fuel 5 miles off the coast of Miami and was lucky to keep 911 on the line long enough to tell them where he was. They sent beach patrol and sea tow and the coastguard to find him. He told them about me and the coastguard sent a helicopter after me. So I was pushing toward Bimini and when I would crest a wave I would try looking for him. That's when I saw faint lights following my course. As the yacht kept getting closer he was having a hard time staying on course from the waves pushing him around. So I let him pass and started following him since he was plowing and towing a fishing boat. It helped a lot then at 18 miles from Bimini I was down to one bar and it started beeping so I started flagging him down.
    Ok I'll have to finish up tomorrow sorry for stopping but it's a good stopping place.
    Catch y'all tomorrow
    Ok so I want to try to paint a picture of how it was during this tropical storm. So the wind started blowing hard and it started clouding up then it was like everything happened at once. The wind was blowing crazy hard then turned cold like freezing the cloudcover was dark almost like night or dusk. The rain started with big drops then just torrential downpour. It was lightning everywhere and the waves were huge swells and I was in the middle of it by myself. The crazy thing was that I wasn't really scared I guess because me and some friends had rode in the Gulf of Mexico during a hurricane before. We were just playing and jumping waves until by buddy broke his foot and had to come in. Anyways so I flagged the yacht and a deck hand came out and ask if everything was ok. I told him I was running out of fuel and could I tie off before I was dead in the water out of fuel. He went in then came back out and said they couldn't stop because of towing the fishing boat. He said they would slow down wile I stopped and tried to refuel in this storm. So I pulled in front of them to the port side and unstrapped one of the two five gallon gas jugs. I opened the front compartment and gas lid and put the end in. I got maybe a quart in when a big wave hit me in the side and rolled my ski over. The end broke off the gas can and I grabbed the ski the ski and rolled it back over and wile in the water I put the gas cap back on and closed the compartment. I then tried to get back on my ski which was very hard since I had a yeti cooled strapped to the back. By this time the yacht was out of sight so I looked at the gps and started heading back to get on course. When I met the yacht coming back to my position I came along side and told him he needed to stop that I couldn't refuel. He wouldn't stop but thrower me a rope and said tie it to your front hook and bring it back and we'll tie you to us all wile under way. So I stopped and got off my ski again and tied it to my bow eye then climbed back on it and began to untangle the rope. During all the climbing on and off my ski my other gas can came off and floated away. So I had the end of this rope and came back along side the yacht I reached out and gave the end to the deck hand. Either he didn't get hold it or he dropped it or it pulled out of his hand but I was still cruising beside him. Then the deck hand yelled throw me the rope and about the same time I felt it pulling I knew that instantly it was in the pump so I pulled the lanyard. I was dead in the water and the yacht was pulling away. During all this the coastguard helicopter turned away since the yacht was giving me assistance. So the yacht started circling me wile on the loud speaker yelling the coastguard is ordering you to abandon your ski and board my vessel. So I'm sitting on my ski with my head on the handlebars knowing I'm going to have to abandon it thinking how can I get this rope out refusing to leave it. Finally the captain stops and him and all the crew are yelling jump jump jump come on. So I turned off my gps took my wallet truck keys and cell phone out of the dry compartment and put them in my pockets. The captain got on the loud speaker and said board my vessel and then we'll deal with the ski. They were a long ways away and getting father away so I jumped in again. It seemed like they were about 100 yards away or more so I swam my muscles were already tired and aching. I kept thinking we're is the tow rope and finally reached it. I was so exhausted at first all I could do was hold on to this big blue rope.

I need to post this before it times out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mudslanger View Post
    Ok so I want to try to paint a picture of how it was during this tropical storm. So the wind started blowing hard and it started clouding up then it was like everything happened at once. The wind was blowing crazy hard then turned cold like freezing the cloudcover was dark almost like night or dusk. The rain started with big drops then just torrential downpour. It was lightning everywhere and the waves were huge swells and I was in the middle of it by myself. The crazy thing was that I wasn't really scared I guess because me and some friends had rode in the Gulf of Mexico during a hurricane before. We were just playing and jumping waves until by buddy broke his foot and had to come in. Anyways so I flagged the yacht and a deck hand came out and ask if everything was ok. I told him I was running out of fuel and could I tie off before I was dead in the water out of fuel. He went in then came back out and said they couldn't stop because of towing the fishing boat. He said they would slow down wile I stopped and tried to refuel in this storm. So I pulled in front of them to the port side and unstrapped one of the two five gallon gas jugs. I opened the front compartment and gas lid and put the end in. I got maybe a quart in when a big wave hit me in the side and rolled my ski over. The end broke off the gas can and I grabbed the ski the ski and rolled it back over and wile in the water I put the gas cap back on and closed the compartment. I then tried to get back on my ski which was very hard since I had a yeti cooled strapped to the back. By this time the yacht was out of sight so I looked at the gps and started heading back to get on course. When I met the yacht coming back to my position I came along side and told him he needed to stop that I couldn't refuel. He wouldn't stop but thrower me a rope and said tie it to your front hook and bring it back and we'll tie you to us all wile under way. So I stopped and got off my ski again and tied it to my bow eye then climbed back on it and began to untangle the rope. During all the climbing on and off my ski my other gas can came off and floated away. So I had the end of this rope and came back along side the yacht I reached out and gave the end to the deck hand. Either he didn't get hold it or he dropped it or it pulled out of his hand but I was still cruising beside him. Then the deck hand yelled throw me the rope and about the same time I felt it pulling I knew that instantly it was in the pump so I pulled the lanyard. I was dead in the water and the yacht was pulling away. During all this the coastguard helicopter turned away since the yacht was giving me assistance. So the yacht started circling me wile on the loud speaker yelling the coastguard is ordering you to abandon your ski and board my vessel. So I'm sitting on my ski with my head on the handlebars knowing I'm going to have to abandon it thinking how can I get this rope out refusing to leave it. Finally the captain stops and him and all the crew are yelling jump jump jump come on. So I turned off my gps took my wallet truck keys and cell phone out of the dry compartment and put them in my pockets. The captain got on the loud speaker and said board my vessel and then we'll deal with the ski. They were a long ways away and getting father away so I jumped in again. It seemed like they were about 100 yards away or more so I swam my muscles were already tired and aching. I kept thinking we're is the tow rope and finally reached it. I was so exhausted at first all I could do was hold on to this big blue rope.

I need to post this before it times out.
    So I'm in the water trying to pull myself up this big rope when I look up and the 2 deck hands are pulling this big rope with all they have. I finally get to the back of this big yacht with this big swim platform. It is going up and down I finally grab it and the deck hands grab my wrist. I have no strength left the storm is causing the back of the yacht to come out of the water then back down. The deck hand says the next time the platform comes down we'll pull you on. It went up pulling me completely out of the water wile hanging on this platform. Then it came down and went under the water and they pulled me on it. I could hardly stand up and they helped me up the back steps and on the back of the boat. They sat me in a chair and we started moving again. I sat there mad upset and wanted to jump back in as I watched my ski drift off into the darkness of the storm. The cook walked to me put his hand on my back and said you are burning up. I took my shirt off and he gave me a dry towel. We went inside the cabin after I gave them all my info. They gave me a pair of shorts and talked about everything. We pulled into Bimini and started a whole other adventure since my passport was on the ski lost.
    To make a long story short I was able to get a room at the Hilton met a dock hand named Shawn who washes boats. He took me everywhere on his golf cart helping me. He wouldn't take any money and used his fuel. If you meet him give him a good tip and tell him I said hi. The security manager at the Hilton was a big help he bought me food and a tooth brush and other things like flip flops. He also wouldn't let me pay for anything and used his own money. The officers who came to my room with the security manager to take the police report were awesome too. All the customs and immigration people were a big help working with me also. The ministry of tourism was very nice also. And the woman at the US embassy was unbelievable nice and used her car to carry me to the ferry office then drove me to the ferry and wouldn't leave me until I was on the ferry. She even hugged my neck I Guess because we drove back and forth trying to get all the paperwork from all the agencies on the island so I could get a ticket back to the US.
    So after going through all the legal stuff with US customs I walk out on the streets of Miami to meet my buddy and my phone rings. It's the US coastguard they spotted my ski 2 miles off the coast of Freeport. They gave me the cordinates and would you believe neither the coastguard or the Freeport coastguard would not send anyone out to tow it in. I called Freeport police and everything I could think of I even drove to the airport and tried to get a flight to Freeport. I couldn't leave the US without a passport I even tried to hire a sea plane to drop me off at it with fuel but no luck. I contacted a guy who had family on Freeport and they looked for it. So it is god knows where. I went back to the marina got a shower and started driving up the coast. It was depressing pulling my empty Jetski trailer home.

Who knows its either in the Atlantic or someone is enjoying it and probably using my thousand dollars cash to buy fuel. It's funny the safe place to put your cash is in a ziplock bag in the bottom of your yeti cooler.

+1
    I feel like I'm reading a childrens book?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stangbang View Post
    Very glad you made out unharmed in the Bimini incident. Sorry to hear about your shoulder. I do have a question. As I have made the Bimini trip by ski in 2 to 4' seas, how do you plan to "tow" 2 skis behind your boat??
    i was thinking about one behind the other. I have stretch tow line. I was also thinking about towing them side by side but staggered 20 foot so they wouldn't run into each other. I have a V rope rigged that goes through the bow eye of the ski and back to the tow hook. It works pretty good and doesn't hardly put any pulling pressure on the bow eye. The bow eye really just keeps the tow rope in the eye area.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin13x View Post
    I feel like I'm reading a childrens book?
    Was it that bad. I tried to include as much detail that I could remember. Actually I don't think I could forget any details I think it will forever be etched in my mind.

+1
    Yup a children’s book when your told to leave 10k in the water to float away. Memory pours like that a few paragraphs might help

Dangerous waters:

‘ I don’t care if we lose every drop of equipment”

Sure....when somebody else is footing the bill

Had to be hard to say adios but you never know right?

Damm cat survived wild for ten years after running off found within a mile of home thanks to microchip

A solid expedition class tip

A couple of hundred spent on a elb you’ll only activate when ditching might help you recover the ski

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    A solid expedition class tip

A couple of hundred spent on a elb you’ll only activate when ditching might help you recover the ski
    Spot Trace. $100 or less for the Spot Trace device. Buy one for each watercraft you own. Annual service fee required.

Install it in the ski somewhere hidden, but with a good ‘sky view’. Under the upper front cowl plastic or perhaps in the hull rear.

The Spot Trace will always be active. Set to report location once every 24 hours when not moving, and report every ten minutes when it is moving.

It has a ‘boat’ setting where small movement within a few hundred feet will not be reported, so swaying while at anchor does not run down the batteries.

Lithium batteries will last for months of service. Install fresh batteries before a big trip. Or before parking the ski for storage.

Web site and email reports show you the GPS location.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Spot Trace. $100 or less for the Spot Trace device. Buy one for each watercraft you own. Annual service fee required.

Install it in the ski somewhere hidden, but with a good ‘sky view’. Under the upper front cowl plastic or perhaps in the hull rear.

The Spot Trace will always be active. Set to report location once every 24 hours when not moving, and report every ten minutes when it is moving.

It has a ‘boat’ setting where small movement within a few hundred feet will not be reported, so swaying while at anchor does not run down the batteries.

Lithium batteries will last for months of service. Install fresh batteries before a big trip. Or before parking the ski for storage.

Web site and email reports show you the GPS location.
    Already bought the spot and garmin for my other skis.

+1
    The spot looks interesting but the year fee is a bit steep if you have a few skis. The coverage is sufficient.

Didi you check with your insurance co regarding a discount on theft premium with one of the spot installed?

If I go into the rental business next season I'd absolutely get it to keep track of where the skis actually are.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread Information