Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

FX SVHO vs GP1800

hey guys so many of you know I bought a new 16' fx svho cruiser about a month ago. on the stock speedometer ive hit 72 mph bone stock and boat test has it GPS'd at 72.3 i believe. I thought it would handle like a cruise ship as the salesman told me its a very dry ride and i would struggle to get wet on it. He must not know how to ride because i can bury the entire nose while turning and it is far from a dry ride to me. So i feel like it handles well. Super smooth and comfortable specially in rougher water.

So is the GP1800 really the best out there from Yamaha right now? If it is better than the FX SVHO, why?

When I was at the dealer and I was buying my cruiser, there were zero GP1800's in the showroom or lot. Honestly, i totally forgot they even existed once i found mine. I dont regret my purchase at all, just wondering why it seems its so much better than other yamaha models like mine

I don't think the FX is better than other models. They each are different.

FX Cruiser SVHO
    Pros: Comfort, Power, Towing, Rough Water Ride, No wake, cup holder
    Cons: Average handling

The FX is more comfortable for riding with passengers and pulling tubes. It is faster, but it is not a nimble machine. Yes if you want to get wet on one you can bury the nose and get wet, but if you got for a cruise it will keep you dry. It handles rough chop well. I get bored quickly on it riding on glass.

VXR
    Pros: Sharp handling, Light feel, Power delivery
    Cons: Lack of No-wake, Lack of top end speed

The VXR is nimble. It responds much quicker to inputs when turning and NA throttle response is instant. It is is an exicted puppy. I like riding this machine the more alone. It does well with passengers, but miss the seating on the cruiser. The tirm is a must in chop to keep from getting soaked. I can ride this hard and the next day I can feel muscles that I never feel worked. It is a lot of fun.

+1
    72 bone stock on paddle wheel speedo?

great input. See i dont know what any other newer ski feels like. the last i owned was a 98 kawi 1100. The newest i ever rode was an 05 turbo honda which was a lot of fun. Yes the first time i took mine out, it hit 72 mph on the stock paddle wheel speedo. that was with 18 gallons of gas, 3 dock lines, one anchor bag, and my 225 pound self

+1
    The svho motors are definitely an amazing motor. Whatever hull it's in, it will perform. But the stock paddle wheel is inaccurate old technology. I'm surprised Yamaha is still using it. Mine changed "speed" from just adjusting the tilt. That's how inaccurate it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dg1148 View Post
    The svho motors are definitely an amazing motor. Whatever hull it's in, it will perform. But the stock paddle wheel is inaccurate old technology. I'm surprised Yamaha is still using it. Mine changed "speed" from just adjusting the tilt. That's how inaccurate it is.
    are you talking about the tilt for the steering? or did you mean the trim adjustment?

GPS is the only way to measure speed on these things. I would adjust my trim and the speedo would change 5mph on VXR. It seems to be more accurate on FZR and FX, but still very optimistic.

+1
    I came from a 300 ultra, so the gp1800 is very very different to me. It handles the chop pretty well but it still handles like a bull. The steering on it is VERY sharp. Seriously the fastest turning response i have seen. It seems hard to flip but you could easily bury the nose. In the chop at WOT you better hang out because it hauls ballz!

my old 98 kawi did 54 mph on the paddle wheel so for it to say 72, im happy with that. ill have to get a gps on there to see how far off it is. Not too worried about it though because stock they are supposed to gps around 71 or 72 so i know it has to be fairly close. My dad is 57 years old, has never ridden a jetski. He rode my new one for the first time and he couldnt believe how sharp and responsive the steering is.

Quote Originally Posted by slothman View Post
    I came from a 300 ultra, so the gp1800 is very very different to me. It handles the chop pretty well but it still handles like a bull. The steering on it is VERY sharp. Seriously the fastest turning response i have seen. It seems hard to flip but you could easily bury the nose. In the chop at WOT you better hang out because it hauls ballz!
    the dealer i got mine at had a 310 special edition and i was oh so tempted. just the way it looked with the color scheme was amazing. I was close to pulling the trigger but i really want the "ride" system on the yamaha. here is a picture of it, 13,999 plus all fees
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kawi.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	418145  

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information