Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GTX is 260

GTX is 260

I'm looking to buy 2 new skis. I decided to choose between the FX Cruiser SVHO, GTX Limited 300/s 260. Unfortunately, stock is pretty low on these in the Northeast. I've noticed that there are a bunch of 2015 GTX is 260s available used. I think I'd consider them, but is there a reason they seem to be more prevalent in the used market? I can't get a handle on the longevity. I've read that they're more expensive to service because of access. Is there a reason that people seem to be getting rid of lightly used is 260s?

+1
    Welcome to the GH
    no one wants to deal with the IS system
    it just makes maintenance more expensive or harder for DIY
    not the IS system that needs service, but removing the top of the ski for service like routine SC rebuild

+1
    iS version of 2015 are bulletproof and for me the top choice in the used market.
    I own a 300gtx and love it.
    But the iS system is just great when it comes to long distances.
    However forget any type of mods on it and be ready for some extra cost in servicing.

I'm not interested in modifying the ski. Is the IS 260 considered slow in comparison to the Limited 300 or SVHO?

+1
    I have a 2015 GTX IS 260 with 35 hrs on it , full tank 69.5 8060 RPM all stock, ride holes filled. Love the ski ,just a bitch to work on .But just keep it stock and once a year pull the charger for slip.

I don't know if this makes any sense, but I spoke to the local powersports place where I'd probably service. He said that they haven't seen any issues with the independent suspension. He said that maintenance access isn't an issue; apparently they have something that makes pulling the deck up easily, so they don't charge any extra for work. The main issue he was concerned about was salt water. I'd be using it at the NJ shore, keeping it on a floating dock. I live in PA, and he said he's seen lots of corrosion with skis that get marine exposure. I've done the research, and plan on significant flushing and use of salt away when possible. We'll probably also bring the skis back home with us when not at the shore for use at a local lake. There's nothing else I'd be able to do about the salt water environment; it would be the cost of doing business at the NJ shore.

+1
    There has NEVER been an issue with the suspension system. It is really bulletproof.
    Yes the iS version is slower than the 300 and 1800...no comparison whatsoever.
    But the plush ride over long periods is SOOOOO smooth

+1

2014 GTS Limited 260IS

I have 2 2014 GTX Limited 260 IS ski's and they are the best for ocean riding. I ride at the Jersey shore and can tell you that there is a huge difference with a IS ski when riding in chop. Since it is extremely rare for the water at the shore to be like glass you are always in chop. My ski's are stock except for a Vtech Maptune which both have been GPS'd at 73MPH. My son rides a 2011 260 RXTX with a Vtech tune and he also see's 73 but his ride is much more rough then the IS ski's. I haven't had 1 issue with the suspension system and my ski's have over 150 hrs on them. I am really upset that Seadoo is discontinuing the suspension system as I was waiting for a Limited 300IS to come out next year to purchase a 4th ski but it seems I will now have to buy a 2016 leftover. Get the suspension ski you won' regret it!

9. +1 by:

Thanks for all the advice. I picked up a 2015 GTX is 260 Limited today. Couldn't really test drive - I had it put in the water and I tested the suspension and initial acceleration, but it was at a marina with about a mile long no-wake zone to open water and intermittent lightning. The ski had 23 hours and was in good, if not excellent shape. I was a little disappointed that the OEM cover and the storage bags that I came with the Limited package weren't there. It had an aftermarket cover and no bags.

Like ghost, I'm at the Jersey shore. The bay is typically rough, and the Barnegat Inlet is, according to a friend who was stationed in NJ in the Coast Guard, supposedly the trickiest in NJ if not the NE. The suspension appealed to me, and didn't seem like a negative by all descriptions from those that own them. I plan on taking it out tomorrow after work at a local lake in PA. I'm in the process of getting 2 floating docks (Wave Armor) installed at the shore (already anticipating a second ski in the near future). Pretty excited to try it out. I held out for the longest time, as we also have a boat at the shore, and I worried that its use would shrivel up if we got skis. I'm not really that concerned anymore, as I think I'll continue to use my boat for pleasure.

Again, thanks for the advice.

+1
    Hope you enjoy it mate. And take my word. Leave it STOCK. Do not change even a bolt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information