Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    +1

2001 Waverunner 1200 SUV

Anyone know anything about this ski? Just bought it tonight. Thing is HUGE!! Definitely HULK worthy!! Picked it up for $220.00. Machine will not turn over (which I bought knowing). It appears that something is binding the motor from turning. Hoping its somewhere in the driveline and not in the motor. If it is motor, I'm not scared of it. Question: is there a way to turn the shaft by hand? if it is something in the driveline, what can bind to stop it?

Is this ski similar to the 1200 GP/XP? Is it the same engine and driveline? Just different hull? Anyone with some knowledge on this ski, please chime in!

Thanks in advance!!!!

Pull the plugs and the motor should turn freely by grabbing the driveline coupler and rotating it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using GreenHulk PWC Performance mobile app powered by Tapatalk

If the coupler doesn't turn, check to see if the prop is in a bind. If the wear ring has swollen it will bind against the prop keeping if from turning over.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Krisgpr View Post
    If the coupler doesn't turn, check to see if the prop is in a bind. If the wear ring has swollen it will bind against the prop keeping if from turning over.
    This is exactly what happened to my 1994 Raider-salt water swollen wear ring that locked up the driveline.

I've seen it a lot with skis that sits for long periods of time that have salt water corrosion on the pump and wear ring. I just rebuilt a pump on an aquatrax f12 because of that.

+1
    Be careful with the smaller pump bolts--reverse bucket, ride plate, pump shoe, 10mm next to the strainer. If a saltwater ski, very easy to break these off if you try to use too much force. Some are a PITA to fix as they embedded the aluminum backer in fiberglass.

Agree with others, a swollen wear ring can cause this (best case), or locked-up motor (worst case).

-Greg

7. +1 by:

+1
    The previous owner said that it was in brackish water. Is it typical for brackish water to cause corrosion? I don't know anything about brackish. If its the wear ring, which sounds like that is designed to be replaced, is it a difficult job?

Without tearing everything completely apart, what is the easiest way to determine if it is motor or the drive? The plugs are removed, and tried to turn the motor by hitting the starter and just get a wine.

+1
    I believe she is a cousin of the XLT....
    I have one, a 2003/04, I can't imagine owning anything different!!!
    Yeah, she's the biggest on the lake, but she's the best!! Carry capacity, # of riders, STABILITY.....How can you not love her!!
    We bought a 18 foot I/O and there was no way I was giving up my SUV. Not without a fight!!
    The only....well only big issue I have is that I can't take her out on the lake at night...no lights! I should be allowed to put lights on her.
    I wish it had a four stroke, mainly for reliability, however 2 strokes can be reliable. Since your in Virginia, I'm assuming its a Salt water craft.

In looking at your issue and the responses, I agree, try pulling the plugs, if the starter is good, the engine should spin.
    The stock liner is SS and shouldn't swell like the Delrin/Plastic does. Check and see if the water intake or grate on the bottom is clear make sure no foreign objects in the there(i.e. Rope, netting)
    Honestly, the truly smart thing if you want to keep her, pull the head and do a top end rebuild. you didn't mention how many hours or post any photos, so we will assume she's not a basket case.
    If she's decent, go ahead and rebuild the engine, at $220 investment, you could almost buy a brand new engine and still make money.

Almost four years ago I bought mine. I smoked a piston due to an oil line coming off, which required a top end rebuild (Bored, new pistons & rings). Recently I checked out the gap on the liner....Needed a new pump liner, So I figured I'd put in a new Stock pitch impellor and a new housing with liner.
    She lives in a garage during the winter, very rarely sits out in the summer, gets plenty of sta-bil, the occasional can of seafoam and a dash of two stroke oil to augment the oil injection!
    Would I like more....yeah, but who doesn't!!

Good luck with her.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hammer5312 View Post
    I believe she is a cousin of the XLT....
    I have one, a 2003/04, I can't imagine owning anything different!!!
    Yeah, she's the biggest on the lake, but she's the best!! Carry capacity, # of riders, STABILITY.....How can you not love her!!
    We bought a 18 foot I/O and there was no way I was giving up my SUV. Not without a fight!!
    The only....well only big issue I have is that I can't take her out on the lake at night...no lights! I should be allowed to put lights on her.
    I wish it had a four stroke, mainly for reliability, however 2 strokes can be reliable. Since your in Virginia, I'm assuming its a Salt water craft.

In looking at your issue and the responses, I agree, try pulling the plugs, if the starter is good, the engine should spin.
    The stock liner is SS and shouldn't swell like the Delrin/Plastic does. Check and see if the water intake or grate on the bottom is clear make sure no foreign objects in the there(i.e. Rope, netting)
    Honestly, the truly smart thing if you want to keep her, pull the head and do a top end rebuild. you didn't mention how many hours or post any photos, so we will assume she's not a basket case.
    If she's decent, go ahead and rebuild the engine, at $220 investment, you could almost buy a brand new engine and still make money.

Almost four years ago I bought mine. I smoked a piston due to an oil line coming off, which required a top end rebuild (Bored, new pistons & rings). Recently I checked out the gap on the liner....Needed a new pump liner, So I figured I'd put in a new Stock pitch impellor and a new housing with liner.
    She lives in a garage during the winter, very rarely sits out in the summer, gets plenty of sta-bil, the occasional can of seafoam and a dash of two stroke oil to augment the oil injection!
    Would I like more....yeah, but who doesn't!!

Good luck with her.
    What is the top speed I can expect from this ski? And, is it heavy enough that it just plows through waves, or will this big thing jump?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stuff4mason View Post

...will this big thing jump?
    This man, asking the real question.

Does anyone jump SUVs? How strong is that hull?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information