Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by stroked89coupe View Post
    Any tips when filling the small voids between the top plate and the hull? I know you used epoxy but it seems it would just seep out of the gap no?

Did you use additional 403 to act as a thickening agent to prevent seepage?

Would using 404 be a good alternative as well? What about Six 10?
    I built a simple temporary 'dam' perimeter to help hold the epoxy goop in place. Otherwise the epoxy (even thickened) will run down the sloped inner hull surfaces, away from the top plate.

I did mix chopped glass fibers into the West System epoxy to stiffen the mixture and increase the cured strength.

I wanted the top plate to create some 'squeeze out' around all the sides and ends as the bolts were snugged to pull the top plate down.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I built a simple temporary 'dam' perimeter to help hold the epoxy goop in place. Otherwise the epoxy (even thickened) will run down the sloped inner hull surfaces, away from the top plate.

I did mix chopped glass fibers into the West System epoxy to stiffen the mixture and increase the cured strength.

I wanted the top plate to create some 'squeeze out' around all the sides and ends as the bolts were snugged to pull the top plate down.
    Awesome. Thanks. You think some masking tape would work around those edges? Maybe some putty of some kind just to hold it in place while curing?

+1

what did u use to build the dam?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by krouchchocolate View Post
    what did u use to build the dam?
    Clear packing tape, folded over for stiffness in places. Peeled it away after the epoxy had cured.

Whatever you use, it has to withstand the jostling as the epoxy and reinforcement plate(s) are placed, and the epoxy squeezeout as the bolts from below are inserted, aligned and tightened.

+1
    Clear packing tape, folded over for stiffness in places. Peeled it away after the epoxy had cured.

Whatever you use, it has to withstand the jostling as the epoxy and reinforcement plate(s) are placed, and the epoxy squeezeout as the bolts from below are inserted, aligned and tightened.
    did U apply anything to the bolts so that it can be removable?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by krouchchocolate View Post
    did U apply anything to the bolts so that it can be removable?
    I did not, on the first ones. Made for REALLY tight bolt removal

After I got the bolts out, I carefully drilled the holes slightly larger through the epoxy layer to give me some wiggle room.

Friend applied a thin layer of grease to the bolt threads, which seems like a workable method. Or find some sleeve type material (perhaps heat shrink? ), cut to appropriate length, and use that to keep the bolt threads away from the epoxy.

Clean the grease well before installing for final assembly. Sealant applied around the intake grate bolt holes (where it seals to the hull) does not like greasy surfaces.

+1
    ... 8mm intake grate bolts. ... I used 8mm bolts that were threaded full length.

..l If you want to add lock nuts on top of the installed plate then you may need 50mm or 60mm bolts.

You mentioned that the bolts supplied with the kit ultramaxracing05 sold was M8 bolts? I'm looking to replace one and I want to be sure they are M8-1.25x45mm?
    Last edited by K447; 05-06-2018 at 07:00 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemd View Post
    You mentioned that the bolts supplied with the kit ultramaxracing05 sold was M8 bolts? I'm looking to replace one and I want to be sure they are M8-1.25x45mm?
    Well, you could remove a bolt from the other side of the intake grate, use that to verify the length.

Other than what I have posted previously, I donít recall at the moment exactly what size the OEM bolts are.

For the rear bolts I found 45mm length was about right. I used 8mm bolts that were threaded full length.

+1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information