Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1997 stx 1100

+1

1997 stx 1100

so my friend was riding my ski yesturday it shut off but restated got it home did a compression test on it like i thought #1 had 50psi #2 120 #3 120 so thats bad it was an sbt engine from 5 years a go so should i just get another long block form them i seen the premiuem is 1495 Premium remanufactured Kawasaki 1100 engine. It includes the cases, cylinders, trued and welded crankshaft, head, all new internal parts & a woodruff key and a 2-year no-fault warranty. Also included is a free Installation Gasket Set, and a free quart of SBT Break-in Oil. or standard for $1195 wanted your guys thoughts ????????? thank you

+1
    Pull the cylinders and replace the 3 pistons for $200.

I posted a thread on how to do it without pulling the motor.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_steven View Post
    Pull the cylinders and replace the 3 pistons for $200.

I posted a thread on how to do it without pulling the motor.
    wow can you tag me in the thread ? you think the bottom end would still be good ?

+1
    Do it right and pull the engine. That way you can remove the cylinders, turn the crankcase upside down and flush all the metal particles out with a solvent sprayer. It's quite possible that you'll have to get it bored if the cylinder is scored.

While you've got it out, pull the driveshaft and replace the driveshaft bearing holder. It will fail sooner than you think. I'd also put a starter in it, they're cheap and hard to get to when in the boat.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Do it right and pull the engine. That way you can remove the cylinders, turn the crankcase upside down and flush all the metal particles out with a solvent sprayer. It's quite possible that you'll have to get it bored if the cylinder is scored.

While you've got it out, pull the driveshaft and replace the driveshaft bearing holder. It will fail sooner than you think. I'd also put a starter in it, they're cheap and hard to get to when in the boat.
    well i put a new starter in it last year and i thik its better to get the engine out as well but after all you said i dont want to have any issues and the cost of all what you say if i get complete engine rebuilt i get a warranty with it too ........

Sbt uses parts from china, do yourself a favor and pull the head and see what you have going on, take pics and we can point you in a direction. For 1500 bucks you can prob find another 1997 stx that runs, keep in mind skis 20 yrs old......

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by turboman412 View Post
    Sbt uses parts from china, do yourself a favor and pull the head and see what you have going on, take pics and we can point you in a direction. For 1500 bucks you can prob find another 1997 stx that runs, keep in mind skis 20 yrs old......
    ok well i did leave out somethings that i did to the ski skat prop new wear ring had the ride plate milled did the exhaust on it and carbon fiber reeds so i dont think i want another ski any other engine guys out their ?

Pwcengines.com fyi those parts can be transferred over or you could always upgrade to an stxr

+1
    You may not have bad damage. I'd tear it apart and see how bad it is before making a decision to buy an exchange. The problem with an exchange is you don't know what you'll get. A hole in the case that's been welded up? Cylinders that are max oversize?

As Grumpy Steven said, you can get rebuilt kits fairly cheap (I haven't seen any for $200). You really need to see what condition the cylinders are in before you make a decision. You may need to go through the carbs, too. Crankshaft seals aren't that much more work after you've got it partially disassembled.

I've got a '98 & '99 that I overhauled this year. The '98 has the fixed ratio oil pump like yours, which I upgraded to the variable ratio. I also installed a set of CV carbs, so both machines are nearly identical. I like the STX for cruising. It's also stable and not too fast, so you can let just about anybody with a brain ride it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post

thanx i apreciate it the carbs were done last year when i did the starter i just dont want any issues in the next 6 months if i just repair #1 the ski was running over 58mph it has work done to it and i allways winterize my skis and run the best 2 stroke oil out thier just pisses this happened !!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information