Thread: 2002 GTX 4 Tec

+1

2002 GTX 4 Tec

all was just wondering if anyone could help out.There appears to be water coming in from under the right rear motor mount of this ski.There are no holes in the hull and I pulled the pump and intake grate.It's as if there was a hole directly underneath the right rear motor mount.

Carbon seal

+1
    See if you can move engine around by hand. That's a dead giveaway that your mounts are toast and the water is entering the hull throughout the carbon seal. I know you said right side but are you sure you didn't mean left side.

On right side only water I know off that's close to the mount is the oil cooler. If that was leaking youd know it. No water in reservoir and loud beeping overheat alarm.

On the left side you have water entering the front of engine under the exhaust manifold and also at the back of the manifold. I know some models rxt/gtx/rxp have different hose routings back there and I never looked at an 02 but if it's leaking on the exhaust manifold side you can bet your brothers left testicle it's the bottom hose on manifold or the nipple it attaches too that has been eaten by corrosion and leaking like 87 grand national main engine seal. Has happened to me twice bottom nipple corroded off.

Sent from my LG-H901 using GreenHulk PWC Performance mobile app powered by Tapatalk

+1
    carbon seal is good.It is defiantly coming from the rt. rear motor mount.I have it on the lift that ramps upwards like a launch pad and it only needs the pump section submerged and I can see it coming from the. rt. rear motor mount.

+1
    My friend Jim has seen a few skis with broken fiberglass where the rear motor mounts are, usually due to wave jumping probably. Put a strong light on the area and try to rock the motor left, you will likely see a crack in the fiberglass.

We have inner and outer hulls on these skis, and there are quite a few holes drilled into the inner hull to mount things - the worst is the rubber pad under the gas tank - there are at least 6 - 8 holes drilled in there, with plastic push pins in them to hold the rubber mat under the gas tank. That is a low spot, and over time you will definitely get water up there. That water gets into the hull, between the layers, and will come out the mounting holes in the rear if you tip the ski, or in your case, if the fiberglass is broken near the motor mounts, it will come out that crack.

My guess is you have quite a bit of water inside the hull, plus a broken motor mount pad.
    Last edited by Vern; 07-22-2017 at 08:49 AM. Reason: fixed oops

6. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    My friend Jim has seen a few skis with broken fiberglass where the rear motor mounts are, usually due to wave jumping probably. Put a strong light on the area and try to rock the motor left, you will likely see a crack in the fiberglass.

We have inner and outer hulls on these skis, and there are quite a few holes drilled into the inner hull to mount things - the worst is the rubber pad under the gas tank - there are at least 6 - 8 holes drilled in there, with plastic push pins in them to hold the rubber mat under the gas tank. That is a low spot, and over time you will definitely get water up there. That water gets into the hull, between the layers, and will come out the mounting holes in the rear if you tip the ski, or in your case, if the fiberglass is broken near the motor mounts, it will come out that crack.

My guess is you have quite a bit of water inside the hull, plus a broken motor mount pad.
    Thanks Vern I'll see if that is the case......I do see the rt. rear mount is slightly loose and there is some movement there.

Thread Information