Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    +1

Polaris Genesis DI /Virage TXI / FICHT Aftermarket Fuel Pump Issue Discussion Thread

Lately there has been a lot of reports about so-called "replacement" fuel pumps for the Polaris DI machines. It seems that the experience is consistent that they are not appropriate replacements, in that they draw far more current (>5A) than the OEM (<2A), and create significantly higher pressure.

I am wondering if cutting the voltage applied to the pump would resolve the issue. To this end, below is a DC/DC converter that seems like a good candidate to perform a test with. Who has a "bad" aftermarket pump that wants to do the test? Discuss

https://www.amazon.com/SMAKN-Convert.../dp/B00CXKBJI2

+1
    The OEM pump "sound like" and has the shape to indicate it is a motor driven pump. Typically, motors don't start well with low voltage, if at all, don't come up to speed, the windings get hot, the shellac insulating coating melts off, the windings short, and all the white, black & blue magic smoke escapes.

I guess there is a few guys who have purchased the so-called direct replacement pumps that are now paper weights. So I guess they wouldn't be out anything to let you try. I try it with a bench supply before purchasing the DC-DC comverter and see if the pump lives and what the current is reduced to.

Quote Originally Posted by HiPeRcO View Post
    Lately there has been a lot of reports about so-called "replacement" fuel pumps for the Polaris DI machines. It seems that the experience is consistent that they are not appropriate replacements, in that they draw far more current (>5A) than the OEM (<2A), and create significantly higher pressure.

I am wondering if cutting the voltage applied to the pump would resolve the issue. To this end, below is a DC/DC converter that seems like a good candidate to perform a test with. Who has a "bad" aftermarket pump that wants to do the test? Discuss

https://www.amazon.com/SMAKN-Convert.../dp/B00CXKBJI2
    "SMAKN Dc/dc Converter 12v Step Down to 5v/3a Power Supply Module"

Will never work!!! is a step down power supply.
    You need a step up power supply may be to 14 to 18 volts, higher voltage less amps.
    A simple step up power supply is only less than 85% efficient so power will be wasted.
    A sophisticated dc-dc step up power supply will need some complex electronics for a 90-95% efficiency.

Here is something can help:
    https://www.amazon.com/NW-converter-...p+up+converter

However to me the easy way to fix this problem is to find the lower consuming fuel pump in the market(less than 5 amps) and used a relay to power the fuel pump, also a higher capacity Battery will be needed.

Best Regards Tito

Any way to install a step up controller like those you still need to bypass the fuel pump circuit with a relay, so is activated when you connect the lanyard.

Here is a better one from 9-14 volts step up to 15volts 10 amps.
    https://www.amazon.com/SMAKN-Convert...ter+12V+to+14v
    With all that current you can power half of Las Vegas.
    Last edited by Tune by Tito; 07-21-2017 at 05:01 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    The OEM pump "sound like" and has the shape to indicate it is a motor driven pump. Typically, motors don't start well with low voltage, if at all, don't come up to speed, the windings get hot, the shellac insulating coating melts off, the windings short, and all the white, black & blue magic smoke escapes.

I guess there is a few guys who have purchased the so-called direct replacement pumps that are now paper weights. So I guess they wouldn't be out anything to let you try. I try it with a bench supply before purchasing the DC-DC comverter and see if the pump lives and what the current is reduced to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tune by Tito View Post

You need a step up power supply may be to 14 to 18 volts, higher voltage less amps.
    A simple step up power supply is only less than 85% efficient so power will be wasted.
    A sophisticated dc-dc step up power supply will need some complex electronics for a 90-95% efficiency.

However to me the easy way to fix this problem is to find the lower consuming fuel pump in the market(less than 5 amps) and used a relay to power the fuel pump, also a higher capacity Battery will be needed.

Best Regards Tito
    Fuel pump motors are simple brush motors. The current they draw is a function of their load and applied voltage. Applying more voltage will almost certainly result in MORE current, barring some fluid effects resulting from the pumping portion cavitating, or somesuch. I wouldn't expect that the motor would have any trouble starting with a lower applied voltage, it will just spin slower, draw less current, and produce less fuel pressure.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tune by Tito View Post

Best Regards Tito
    Nope. Not unless the fuel pump is changed to one rated for higher voltage.

Otherwise, apply higher DC voltage to a simple DC motor load will increase the motor current and the operating speed/pressure of the pump motor.

Quote Originally Posted by HiPeRcO View Post
    Fuel pump motors are simple brush motors. The current they draw is a function of their load and applied voltage. Applying more voltage will almost certainly result in MORE current, barring some fluid effects resulting from the pumping portion cavitating, or somesuch. I wouldn't expect that the motor would have any trouble starting with a lower applied voltage, it will just spin slower, draw less current, and produce less fuel pressure.
    Will not work with 5 volts, may be 10 volts or 9 volts.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Nope. Not unless the fuel pump is changed to one rated for higher voltage.

Otherwise, apply higher DC voltage to a simple DC motor load will increase the motor current and the operating speed/pressure of the pump motor.

All fuel pump are rated at 12 volts nominal, however all of them are made to withstand higher voltages, the charging system can dump more than 45 volts to the battery any time.
    Also if the flow increase then increasing the load use a external fuel regulator to control the load, this system do not depend on a specific fuel pressure to function correctly, the service manual said between 20 to 30 psi, the amount of fuel injected in the chamber is determine by the stroke of the injector and the fuel maps, is a very basic Alpha Number system with a stupid complex ECU(EMM).

So you will not loose any thing, you only will gain knowledge.

Here is a fuel pump may work:
    https://www.delphi.com/manufacturers...elhandling/t11

The Delphi T-11 Fuel Pump features low current draw — less than 1.4 amps compared to 6 amps, which is characteristic for automotive fuel pumps — while providing a minimum flow rate of 3 grams⁄second (14.4 liters⁄hour) at 12 V and 250 kPa. The Delphi T-11 Fuel Pump is available with a standard copper commutator, or optional carbon commutator.

Typical Applications
    The Delphi-T11 Small Engine Fuel Pump is designed for use in non-automotive small gasoline engine applications such as motorcycles, scooters, small all-terrain vehicles, snowmobiles, personal watercraft and lawn and garden equipment. It can also be used as a transfer pump for automotive auxiliary fuel tanks.

Best Regards Tito.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information