+1

Looking for info -- Great Bridge Locks and Bridge - Virginia Beach / Chesapeake

I live in Western NY and usually go down to Virginia Beach a few times a year. Usually ride Broad Bay with my jet ski and that surrounding area, but looking to expand my horizon (no pun intended). I came across the Great Bridge area that has a launch and access north and south. Just looking for some info about the lock, and the bridge and I guess the area in general. Is that launch a safe location? from what research i've done so far, it appears the locks open every half hour? is that correct? and what about the bridge, is it possible to get under without it raising, and if not, how is it done, and are there fees?

Thanks for the help!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mholota View Post
    I live in Western NY and usually go down to Virginia Beach a few times a year. Usually ride Broad Bay with my jet ski and that surrounding area, but looking to expand my horizon (no pun intended). I came across the Great Bridge area that has a launch and access north and south. Just looking for some info about the lock, and the bridge and I guess the area in general. Is that launch a safe location? from what research i've done so far, it appears the locks open every half hour? is that correct? and what about the bridge, is it possible to get under without it raising, and if not, how is it done, and are there fees?

Thanks for the help!
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=252201

http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/m...artViewer.html

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineVie...werTable.shtml

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12253.shtml

I haven't ridden through the locks yet but watched them and 30 minutes opening each direction seems about right. Yes there was a nice launch there. The day I went there was a pack of jet skiers waiting for the lock to open. All the boats and skis were in great well kept condition. I'm looking forward to going sometime myself. Go for it!

+1
    figured I would post incase any one wanted more information. Day 1 of riding I put in at Great Bridge Lock Park. Facilities were ok, nothing spectacular. free parking and launch use. water was glass in most spots, smooth riding. some chop in the more open areas. Rode north up South Branch Elizabeth River to the railroad drawbridge and ended up heading back as the bridge was down. The locks do open on the half hour except for "rush hours". Day 2 I went down to Munden Point Park. Very Nice park, a bit of a drive from Virginia Beach but worth it. very nice facilities, $8 launch fee use (make sure you bring exact change, as the State of VA got an extra $2 from me, $12 from the poor bastard behind me). Rode south at first, 25-30 markers, west over to Curirtuck, and skirted coasted back up the where I launched and continued up the Intracoastal Waterway to the North Landing Rd Bridge. Wonderful area to ride. ended up going back to the park for lunch and riding back north and checking out some of the off-shoots. Was really mad I forgot my extra fuel talk that day. Will definitely be going back to Munden.

Thread Information