Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2017 GP1800 vs 2017 VXR

Ok guys, so I got in touch with my uncle who happens to own a boat dealership. My year and a half long hunt for a used pwc might be coming to an end if he can pull some strings and get me approved. (Shitty credit) Now if all goes well I have a tough decision to make.

2017 GP1800 of 2017 VXR - only major differences I can tell is that the gp1800 is going to get me about +5 more mph on the speedo. But, I've also read it's going to be much harder on gas, and maintenance and parts are going to be much more expensive as well. My uncle is raving about the VXR. I personally love to go really fast, get air, shred waves, overall drive like a maniac (in open lake, alone, and rssponsibly)

So wha do you think guys? Is the GP worth the couple grand extra? Pros and cons? Any other options I should consider? Thanks as always fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrileyskis View Post
    Ok guys, so I got in touch with my uncle who happens to own a boat dealership. My year and a half long hunt for a used pwc might be coming to an end if he can pull some strings and get me approved. (Shitty credit) Now if all goes well I have a tough decision to make.

2017 GP1800 of 2017 VXR - only major differences I can tell is that the gp1800 is going to get me about +5 more mph on the speedo. But, I've also read it's going to be much harder on gas, and maintenance and parts are going to be much more expensive as well. My uncle is raving about the VXR. I personally love to go really fast, get air, shred waves, overall drive like a maniac (in open lake, alone, and rssponsibly)

So wha do you think guys? Is the GP worth the couple grand extra? Pros and cons? Any other options I should consider? Thanks as always fellas.
    I suggest you get your financials in order before getting anything.

You are also forgetting the gp accelerates much quicker, not just top speed. Plus with a simple tune you get 20% more performance over stock.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by not2fast View Post
    I suggest you get your financials in order before getting anything.
    True statement there, if your having issues getting money for a ski to begin with, don't. They are like a boat, break out another thousand. Unless you live on the water, they tend to just be money pits.

Go with an older used ski, lot cheaper and maybe you can pay a lot more down on it. Lots of good used low hrs ski's out there that cost way less than a new vxr or GP

Sorry guys, I don't recall saying I was having financial issues? I said I have shitty credit. My bank account is doing more than well. I have not purchased a used ski yet because the market where I'm at is dog shit and my work occupies most of my time, leaving me with little to go back and forth. My credit is shit because I tend to buy my vehicles outright with cash. Which is what I don't want to do this time if I have the option to build some credit. Thanks for the advice but I don't need financial advisors, I'm asking opinions on these two pwc and comparisons.

Quote Originally Posted by Flsupraguy View Post
    You are also forgetting the gp accelerates much quicker, not just top speed. Plus with a simple tune you get 20% more performance over stock.

That's a good point. Plus, there's just not a better ski on the market right now imo. But, what is this guys are saying about much higher maintenance/parts expenses? As far as I understand it's a vx hull with an fzho engine. Don't understand where the added costs come in? I'm assuming due to the raw power and additional turbo - etc in the motor?

+1
    I actually had a 2012 VXR and currently own a GP1800 and an FZR stage2.....the GP is the best ski I have ever ridden ! that's all I can say......I loved the way the VXR handled and always thought it needed more HP to make it the perfect ski ......Yamaha fixed this with the GP1800......just go ride a VXR and a GP and you will say the same thing...just my opinion having owned both skis.....good luck

+1
    LOL this is hilarious.. The man needs ski advice not financial advice.. It is true tho, these things do suck up a lot of money lol

I would go with a GP for sure. VXR is very fun and fast but not as fast as the GP. I own a VXR and slowly looking into the GP because I got used to the speed and now I need more. Its like a drug.. No matter how fast you go, you always want more. They both will have maintenance to be done on them. GP has slightly more due to more parts. All in all, go with the GP if you're getting a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by txgp1300r View Post
    I actually had a 2012 VXR and currently own a GP1800 and an FZR stage2.....the GP is the best ski I have ever ridden ! that's all I can say......I loved the way the VXR handled and always thought it needed more HP to make it the perfect ski ......Yamaha fixed this with the GP1800......just go ride a VXR and a GP and you will say the same thing...just my opinion having owned both skis.....good luck
    Awesome response. Noted.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimeVXR View Post
    LOL this is hilarious.. The man needs ski advice not financial advice.. It is true tho, these things do suck up a lot of money lol

I would go with a GP for sure. VXR is very fun and fast but not as fast as the GP. I own a VXR and slowly looking into the GP because I got used to the speed and now I need more. Its like a drug.. No matter how fast you go, you always want more. They both will have maintenance to be done on them. GP has slightly more due to more parts. All in all, go with the GP if you're getting a good deal.
    Great to hear your guys opinions on this. I'm a junkie so my biggest concern is whether I would buy the VXR and then just want more. Watching reviews of the GP it's seemingly pretty unanimous, everyone is saying it's the best ski ever made. If it's really that amazing I surely don't mind spending a little extra.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information