Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2004 Yamaha 1200 xlt running issues

I just had the carbs rebuilt, I installed them with a new set of Prok Filters. The ski starts and runs great at idle. Once in the water the ski took off for 5 feet then stalled out. starts right up but stall once i give it any amount of gas. If I pull the choke out slightly and really feather the throttle i can get it up to about 15 to 20 mph. When pulled it out of the water and flushed it, it ran rough and when I pulled the lanyard it continued to run for a minute then turned off.
    I really have not had time to really research this but whatever info as to where to start would be great!!!
    Thanks

Did you replace your Needles and Seats too? Sounds like too much air and not enough fuel. Did you mess with your mixture screw settings? Give a little more backstory on the ski.
    Last edited by LivingSlow; 07-11-2017 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Added Sentence

Needles and seats were good. Had the carbs rebuilt and pressure tested at a shop. Any need to adjust carbs when adding Prok intake Filters?

+1
    Yep, both 800pv and 1200pv require changes for running aftermarket FA...http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70129

Plus it sound like you have a vacuum leak at carb gasket/plate or pluse lines...with no spark, it should not run for a minute, unless there is lean hot spots in the cylinder.
    Last edited by Crazypirate; 07-11-2017 at 12:38 PM.

+1
    If idle is above 4k on the trailer, it Sucking air that is not going through the carbs....if idle is less then 3k on the trailer, one or more carbs are lean, one of those two happen if it is dieseling with no ignition...If ran any length of time?...start with a compression check... If a two stroke does not run correctly off the trailer, STOP and find the problem, before it compounds into a piston melting problem, plus what started the problem,will still be waiting to be repaired..
    Last edited by Crazypirate; 07-11-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Oh, I missed it was still running after you pulled the key. It's definitely got an air leak somewhere which is not good at all.

You should replace the intake gasket after you rebuild the carbs. I spray Permatex Tacky Gasket (it's a spraycan...) on both sides of the new intake gasket and reinstall. That's a common area of a leak after a carburetor rebuild. I even seal the plate to the reed cages too. I had an air leak there as well. Hopefully it isn't leaking at the crank seals and it's just the intake area.

You'll need to follow the link Crazypirate posted to accommodate your new filters. I assume the compression is good in all cylinders?

+1
    Def running lean if ski still runs after lanyard is pulled. Air leak sounds right. What is your rpm out of the water? i would not run the ski again till you diagnose this problem or it may very likely seize. pull your plugs and check color to see if they are burning up at all. Did anyone drill out the High/Low carb needles and adjust them? Did you put any gasket sealer on carb plate when reinstalling? if not, you need to or air leaks are very possible. Also make sure carb plate bolts are torqued to spec with torque wrench.

Checked all 3 cylinders and each has only 35 psi. Must be doing something wrong.

Update:
    Started ski and it blew the exhaust off at rubber gasket before the water tank!
    Last edited by Fluid; 07-15-2017 at 12:13 PM.

+1
    If it runs at all under its own power at 35 psi,...something is wrong with test equipment....on a positive note..they are still equal, which is Great!! Don't think I ever seen two/four stoke that would run at all, with atleast one cylinder not above 75psi.
    Last edited by Crazypirate; 07-17-2017 at 08:57 AM.

I have once again removed the exhaust. Any tip what I should do here? Stock rebuilt carbs and adding f/a's. Going 1-1/2 turn out on high speed adjusters and 1 turn out on low speed adjusters. Do really need to rejet and change to pop psi? Going to remove Carbs and check for any leak and re-install.
    Anyone local to LBI NJ that can help?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information