Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Gpr signs of bad cat-con, but looks fine?

I'm sorry if this has been answered before. I've looked for years on here without having to ask anything because of all the info already posted. I'll be as descriptive as I can thanks for the help in advance.
    I have an 03 gpr, stock, 80hrs, great ski. I just had motor mounts installed, and took it out for a ride. Ran great for about 2 minutes then the exhaust note changed to more a rumble from the rear, more smoke, low power, then the buzzer started going off and the exhaust temp warning symbol appeared....bad cat con right? I took the stingier out and removed the cat and it looks great, (I'll post pictures) no pieces missing at all , some small dust particles in the exhaust that almost look like cat litter but doesn't swell up when wet, I mean a very small amount. I have the dplate and chip already, but before I put everything back together is there anything else I can look for that might be the culprit? A bad cat doesn't seem right to me after seeing it, but I don't know what to look for in the rear exhaust parts like the water box and all that. I just wanna know if a cat that looks to be in great condition could be the culprit of the symptoms I have, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JoshKI View Post
    I'm sorry if this has been answered before. I've looked for years on here without having to ask anything because of all the info already posted. I'll be as descriptive as I can thanks for the help in advance.
    I have an 03 gpr, stock, 80hrs, great ski. I just had motor mounts installed, and took it out for a ride. Ran great for about 2 minutes then the exhaust note changed to more a rumble from the rear, more smoke, low power, then the buzzer started going off and the exhaust temp warning symbol appeared....bad cat con right? I took the stingier out and removed the cat and it looks great, (I'll post pictures) no pieces missing at all , some small dust particles in the exhaust that almost look like cat litter but doesn't swell up when wet, I mean a very small amount. I have the dplate and chip already, but before I put everything back together is there anything else I can look for that might be the culprit? A bad cat doesn't seem right to me after seeing it, but I don't know what to look for in the rear exhaust parts like the water box and all that. I just wanna know if a cat that looks to be in great condition could be the culprit of the symptoms I have, thanks!
    Replace it with the d plate and chip and don't look back. It's an all gain and no lose mod.

I'm going to replace it for sure, I was just curious if it could be something else that way I could approach it BEFORE I put everything back together and it does the same thing...

You could do a quick compression check to be sure but you should be good.

Would you recommend a compression test HEAVILY? I'm trying to put the ski back together tonight if possible, but would have to wait til tomorrow to go get a compression gauge, and being the exhaust temp symbol showed up I wouldn't think that would coincide with low compression...

Not heavily. You should be fine. They are a great tool though and I recommend getting one or borrowing one to use just for reassurance.

Ok cool, I'll install the dplate and let you know if that fixes it, if not I'll check compression. Thanks man

Anytime

Put everything back together with the dplate, same thing. Different exhaust note that sounds almost under me more then behind me, more smoke then usual, and very little power. Compression was 116, 115,114 from rear to front, plugs look good, and now I'm stumped.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information