Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

How would you prep/break in a new waverunner?

Going to be purchasing my first waverunner shortly. Looking at 2017 VXR. From the time you pick up the ski from the dealer, do you do anything prior to taking it out for the first time? Spray down the engine bay with fluid film or anything? Also what kind of break in, if any would you do? Thanks in advance.

+1
    Look it over closely to assure it has not been scratched. From there keep it under 5000 rpm for 90 minutes and then enjoy. Do the 10 hour service yourself and keep a bit more cash in your pocket - and enjoy the satisfaction of doing a job yourself. If you ride in salt water CRC 656 should be part of every outing.
    lots of great people and info on this sight.
    Chris

3. +1 by:

+1
    also clear out the waterbox every ride, hit the throttle a few times, no more than 15 seconds

+1
    Best way to break the ski in is let it warm up for 5 minute idleing or low RPM and then let it rip and ride it hard.

6. +1 by:

+1
    Just look in the book when you get your ski it will have the break in listed. It's a little different for each ski ( not sure why) but normally warm for about 5 min then keep it under 5000 rpm for 90 min or so but you have to keep changing the rpm. Do not stay on a certain rpm for more than a few minutes. This helps the rings seat right so you don't get fuel seap in the oil. It can be hard to not hit the throttle for the first two hours when you ready to see what it can do but for warranty sake follow the instructions because they can see if you did or not!

8. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Theotherchoad View Post
    Just look in the book when you get your ski it will have the break in listed. It's a little different for each ski ( not sure why) but normally warm for about 5 min then keep it under 5000 rpm for 90 min or so but you have to keep changing the rpm. Do not stay on a certain rpm for more than a few minutes. This helps the rings seat right so you don't get fuel seap in the oil. It can be hard to not hit the throttle for the first two hours when you ready to see what it can do but for warranty sake follow the instructions because they can see if you did or not!
    Your 100% correct I had some issues with my seadoo Rxpx and even though the ecu restricts you during break in, they can still see how hard your accelerations were and whether or not you followed the owners manual to a "T" for the break in..

+1
    You will have a never-ending debate on this question.

My opinion; Let it warm up first for a few minutes. Then ride it like you stole it! Did it with mine and now at 39 hours it hasn't had any issues and still runs perfect

+1
    Just don't let the Rpms run constant which most people never do anyway.

+1
    http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

here is how i break in all my engines. I have set land speed records from what i have learned from this guy

13. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PredatorSRT View Post
    Your 100% correct I had some issues with my seadoo Rxpx and even though the ecu restricts you during break in, they can still see how hard your accelerations were and whether or not you followed the owners manual to a "T" for the break in..
    Did that effect them covering your problems?
    Idk they are pretty vague in the manual realistically it says not to go over 1/2 to 3/4 throttle (but Iím assuming thatís for the models which arenít restricted from the ecu) since even pulling full throttle will only get you half the rpms until the ecu allows and it also says to vary rpm and do full speed just not for long. So I just rode mine like Iíd ride any other ski had stopped to full accelerations and everything. No where in the break in does it say not to test out launch mode. And riding in heavy chop only way was to be on and off the gas constantly. I doubt they can deny warranty unless you literally just held the thing WOT for 5-10 min

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information