Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

Help!! 2014 Kawasaki 310x major issues!!!

Okay so I have a 2104 Kawasaki ultra 310x. It has around 50 hours on it and it was serviced about 15 hours ago. I was riding it the other day wide open and let off the throttle and turned and bam! The engine bogged down hard and when I tried to accelerate, it surges and only hits 4500rpms and tops out at about 36mph. It also runs ROUGH at idle and sounds really off. But here's the kicker, the engine light will come on but no code. I was driving it with the throttle all the way down and only going 36 and all of a sudden it took off like a bat out of hell and ran full speed. After I turned it off, I started it about 20 mins later and ran great, until I hit it full throttle. I was thinking it was bad gas bc it was surging and cutting out but if I banked left or right, it would jump to full power and take off and be fine for 5-10 seconds at a time and then mess up again. I put fuel treatment in it the other day and rode it with it cutting out and it seemed like it was slowly fixing itself and then finally it worked great and didn't have a hiccup for the last hour we were at the lake so I Chaulked it up to bad gas! Then yesterday I took it out and it ran fine for 10 mins until I hit it wide open and then it started acting up and running rough at idle and doing it all over again. So yesterday I switched all the spark plugs and drained the tank and today I filled it up with Avgas at the airport. I took it out earlier and same thing! Ran around 65 out of the gate and was surging and cutting back and when I let off and slowed down, it wouldn't get back over 38 or over 4500rpms but still shows 145 psi of boost. Idk what to do, please help. The only thing I. Can think is maybe a bad ECU? The only reason I say that is bc the ski only ran around 63mph when I got it and when you set your cruise control or "no wake" mode, it won't show your speed, it's just a blank screen. Also, when the warning light or low fuel light comes on, it won't beep at you and it won't say "low fuel" or and engine problem on the display gauge and I have an R&D scom and even with it, once I stay at 67 or higher for more than 10 seconds at a time, the warning light comes on and it'll act finicky until I back off. Glenn at R&D said the ECU might be bad if that is the case but even with the Scom unplugged, it still is doing all of this and running extremely bad. Hopefully someone might have an idea on what to do. I can't afford 3k for a dealership to bullshit me and charge me a lot. Thanks guys

+1
    Your gonna have to do some trial and error yourself..

First is it possible to swap out another ECU and key with a friend or someone who has same ski 2014-2017 to see if it's the cause so you could cancel that out..

A boost leak would cause surging and hesitation make sure all clamps are snug on hoses..

At 50 hrs it seems unlikely that a fuel filter would be clogged but could do a 3 sec primer test it ,in the Service manual on " how to"

Again at 50 hrs seems unlikely but problems like exhaust filter breaking up or Dirty intercooler fins would cause these issues though if oil was overfilled your crankcase pressure would clog the intercooler ..

see what goes..

It's as if some wire somewhere has wiggled loose or become partially disconnected. That the Ski runs OK fur an extended time, then goes bad is a telling clue.

When you are in Cruise Control, the Ski will still show you your speed and the intermittent message Cr5 every few seconds (I use this feature all the time).

For the 2014 model, there was an upgraded ECU available (Warranty) for that year model. Did your Ski have that upgraded ECU? I would discuss this particular point with your Dealer. JB

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    I call exh filter, floating around in the muffler....

+1
    Thanks for all the replies! I know that the cruise control is supposed to tell your speed when you activate cruise control and say cr5. It used to do that but what I'm saying is that all it has been doing for the past 20ish hours, even before the engine problem is when I set cruise, the screen would just go blank and not show a speed or any information on the display, not even the water temp, engine hours, etc. it does the same when I put it in "no wake" mode so that's why I assumed there could be ECU issues. But no, it doesn't have the "fixed" ECU. I didn't know there was a recall on it and my jet ski is past the 1 year warranty so I wasn't sure if I could get a new ECU or not... There's only 2 authorized dealers for Kawasaki jet skis in Oklahoma and both of them said that their code reader is down so they can't check the ECU to see what codes it's throwing. However, one of the guys told me that from the issues it's having, it sounds like there's a possibility the intercooler could be fouled and the way to check is to remove the hose from the intercooler to the throttle body and if there's any moisture in the hose to the throttle body, that's the issue. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks

+1
    Also, I know the exhaust filter can cause issues if it breaks apart and ends up in the exhaust. How would I go about checking if that is the issue? i know where the exhaust filter is but what are the instructions for removing it? also, if it blew apart and is in the exhaust, will I need to remove the waterbox(es) to remove it or how would I go about it?

+1
    Okay guys! i think i found the issue. i removed the coupling from the intercooler to the throttle body and there were standing water pellets all inside the coupling and on the butterfly valve inside the throttle body so i know that has to be the culprit! Now my question is, what do I do? A new intercooler is $2,100 for a factory replacement and I cant afford that! is there any way to buy an aftermarket one cheaper or can the factory one be repaired? Im not sure how the intercooler works. Is it split where half of it is water cooled anf half is air cooled and a seal broke where water is getting in the air side and causing it to go into the intake? Also, will I have to worry about my pistons or rings with the water getting inside the pistons? what can I do to fix that issue?

+1
    How much water are we talking about? Some is normal from condensation.

Hold the Phone! If you have water inside your Hoses, the issue is one of the Hoses is not good or one of the Hose Clamps has worked itself loose somewhere.

Back the Ski / Trailer into the water (make sure Ski is secured to the Trailer) and run the Ski. If there are any loose connections and / or water coming out you should be able to see it.

Intercooler is fine! JB

+1
    Theres no water leaks visible or any leaks i can see and no water collecting in the hull. The ski just runs horrible and shakes and idles rough and everything. I was told there shouldnt be ANY water or moisture from the inercooler to the throttle body, as that would mean water is getting into the intake and in the motor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information