Hybrid View

GP1200r starts on trailer won't start in water

I hope this is the right place for this post. Just top end rebuild; took it out for a trial run for 10 15 minutes and all was good. Second trip out, it will not start in the water. Sounded like something was locking up, it turns over but as soon as it starts to fire it locks up. Tried to start until the battery died. Same thing every time.Take it out of the water and it starts up and revs just fine. Anyone have an idea where to start looking?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafungo View Post
    I hope this is the right place for this post. Just top end rebuild; took it out for a trial run for 10 15 minutes and all was good. Second trip out, it will not start in the water. Sounded like something was locking up, it turns over but as soon as it starts to fire it locks up. Tried to start until the battery died. Same thing every time.Take it out of the water and it starts up and revs just fine. Anyone have an idea where to start looking?
    usually that's a sign of low compression. I would check that first.

Quote Originally Posted by slothman View Post
    usually that's a sign of low compression. I would check that first.

120,120,100. Sounds like Bendix not retracting after it fires or something in crankcase; just can't pinpoint the problem area. Still running fine in the driveway.

+1
    You should repost this on the two stroke forum. Lots of good people over there to help you.

Will do, thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafungo View Post
    120,120,100. Sounds like Bendix not retracting after it fires or something in crankcase; just can't pinpoint the problem area. Still running fine in the driveway.
    3rd cylinder quite a bit lower than the others, I would inspect the piston and ring. Possibly no gas getting to that cylinder...

+1
    two stroke mechanic here for the last 40 yrs . sorry but it sounds like something came apart! pull the cyl head and take a look? also remember there is no clutch or tranny !! pump locked up ??

+1
    kind of sounds like the pump locks up as soon as there is some pressure on it from being in the water. It spins when out of the water because there's no pressure on it.

Thread Information